Inside Death Row

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMask wrote: »
    Can I ask why

I keep hearing the term barbaric but you klnow the rules when you get in to crime over there..So if you take your chance and lose...sorry but thats the way it goes

You come home from work and find your partner and kids dead

is the setence barbaric now..?

The death penalty is barbaric.

I found it a difficult watch because of his age, its difficult to hear about such a young person committing such an appalling crime, its hard to imagine someone so young could be capable of something like this, and then on top of that he had been there since he was fifteen. Such a waste of life, made me very uncomfortable.
  • BogzBogz Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's the solution?

Keep prisoners locked up forever costing tax payers money or the death penalty?

Some people do not deserve life imprisonment for the terrible crimes they commit. Easier to give them the injection and be done with it.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Bogz wrote: »
    So what's the solution?

Keep prisoners locked up forever costing tax payers money or the death penalty?

Some people do not deserve life imprisonment for the terrible crimes they commit. Easier to give them the injection and be done with it.

It costs a lot more to execute someone, rather than give the life imprisonment - because of the numerous legal appeals, challenges, court cases, but the very high costs of running a death row prison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I missed this so watched it on ITV player thingy.

The guy who killed at aged thirteen - what happens during a child's upbringing that leads someone to commit such an act?? There seems a fair bit of pity for this guy on the forums - held in such harsh conditions but he did kill.

I coudn't believe how small his cell was and he's kept in it 23 hours a day + 1 hour exercise in a large cage.- then another 23 hours etc etc untill he dies. I think I'd just end it - that level of confinement would be unthinkable especially for the rest of your days. He seemed decent, articulate, affable etc but many killers are and I did wonder why he was in administrative segregation. Inmates are usually held like that if they are vulnerable, break the rules, cause trouble. I thought he would be in general population. Quite surreal when he began to list all the things he's never done or seen - but he does deserve punishment. He still deprived two people of their lives regardless of the age when he murdered them.

America does seem extreme and of course by comparison, we are too soft. I'd like to see tougher penalties in this country though especially for murder, sex crimes, violent crimes and burglary. We need a deterent that scares people and prisons that are designed to be austere - places you don't want to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dogpies wrote: »
    America does seem extreme and of course by comparison, we are too soft. I'd like to see tougher penalties in this country though especially for murder, sex crimes, violent crimes and burglary. We need a deterent that scares people and prisons that are designed to be austere - places you don't want to go.

i don't think it really acts as a deterrent. Take the states for example, very harsh yes but there re offending rate is incredibly high, so clearly it is not having the desired effect. And lets not forget in this country when prisons really were places you did not want to go people still committed crime.
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    i don't think it really acts as a deterrent. Take the states for example, very harsh yes but there re offending rate is incredibly high, so clearly it is not having the desired effect. And lets not forget in this country when prisons really were places you did not want to go people still committed crime.

Not a deterent for everyone of course but there are those that will always fancy their chances if they think the possibility of getting caught is low. My last para was more an ideology rather than a reality.
    Forum Member
    I think for the vast majority of us, the thought of being confined in a small cell like his is hard to contemplate and also the fact that the majority of people are law abiding ;o)

American criminals must think the gamble is worth it -
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitty86 wrote: »
    While I was watching this last night I had a discussion with my boyfriend about the fact that the prisoners serve some time first before they are informed of the time and date of their execution.

My question to you DSers is do you think it's better that they serve time first before they are given the time or date or should they be given a time and date from when they are sentenced?

Hypothetically which one would you prefer?

They don't "serve time first" they are imprisoned until the death sentence is carried out.

I guess, in theory, a person convicted of a capital crime could be be given a date/time of his execution on the spot.

Subject to any appeal.

Then, after each new hearing, a new date/time could be set

Subject to any appeal.

Carry on ad infinitum.

The Oklahoma Bomber after, dropping any further appeals was given was given an execution date of five months hence.

A person doesn't have to spend 20 or more years on death row, it's the legal process that keeps them there.

Good or bad? well that is how the US system works.

For the record; I am very against the Death Penalty, but it seems that it is the lesser of two evils to have a system that allows a person to appeal and appeal, even if it takes two decades, rather than have them dragged out and killed straight away.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe they're allowed cats :-o What if they kill them in a fit of rage? Oh well, seems like that will be explained in next weeks.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe they're allowed cats :-o What if they kill them in a fit of rage? Oh well, seems like that will be explained in next weeks.

You probably won't want to know how they were smuggled in...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A case like this makes the death penalty seem almost humane.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/10164660.Neil_Entwistle_loses_final_appeal_in_US/