Leona Lewis signs to Universal's Island Records LEAVES SYCO

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Long-term Sony artist Leona Lewis has signed an exclusive recording contract with Universal's Island Records.

Lewis released four studio albums at Sony, clocking up sales of over 20 million globally. Her hit singles include the chart-topping Bleeding Love, which became the best-selling single worldwide in 2008.

When her 2012 studio album Glassheart - released on Syco/Sony - was a commercial disappointment in the UK and failed to be granted a full released in the US, her career appeared to have taken a serious knock.

But Lewis's 2013 Christmas-themed single One More Sleep breathed life back into her prospects, hitting No.3 on the Official UK Chart after being released in late November. The track's heavy airplay rotation helped propel festive album Christmas, With Love - another Syco release - to gold sales status in the UK.

Speaking about her signing to Island - a label of Sony rival Universal - Lewis said: “After seven incredible years at Sony I feel honoured to be given the opportunity to sign to perhaps the most iconic label of all, Island Records.

"To me Island has always been a label where artists can really flourish and are encouraged to express themselves. Island stands for quality music and signing with such a legendary label is really like a dream come true for me. I can’t wait to start making music with my new team.“

Darcus Beese president of Island added: “We are absolutely delighted to welcome Leona into the Island family. I’ve watched and admired Miss Lewis from afar, witnessed her grow into one of this country’s most formidable female artists. Witnessed a girl from Hackney making and breaking records, topping the UK and US charts, earning numerous Brit and Grammy nominations, while remaining true to herself and her principles. All the while maintaining a genuine down to earth appeal. Soon as the ink dries, it’s on to the most exciting part of all, getting into the studio and making the record we know Leona has in her."

Lewis has been nominated for seven BRIT Awards, three Grammy Awards and won an Ivor Novello award.

She was recently confirmed as the most successful British female solo artist in UK chart history, with more Top 5 hits to her name (8) than any other British female.

http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/leona-lewis-signs-to-universal-s-island-records/058623

Simon Confirms Departure
Simon Cowell @SimonCowell · 56s
Congratulations Leona. We had 7 great years together and now wish you all the best for the future. You put X Factor on the map. X

Comments

• Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats Leona. :) I hope the risk pays off because she deserves another massive era after the mess Syco made with her 2nd album. Hopefully Island finds her some really strong material for her to make a comeback with.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows Syco is a shallow, s*** label when they can't even make Leona a current after 2 albums. Glad she's moved to Island!!
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Nooooooo. Syco is a much better label than Island. I hope the risk pays off...
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She deserves the best. Probably the best singer of her generation and she's a great artist too. It's about time she has a great label to match. I hope Island deliver.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay finally hope she has some decent material to show off that voice and actually does some promo and decent singles. In other words an actual album campaign :p
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bout time
  • dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't quite tell if this is sarcasm! Syco are only interested in whatever X Factor artist is making them the most money at that point in time. I'd imagine any other artist on their rosta plays second fiddle and has their artistic integrity scrutinised in every way.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally!
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leaving Syco is the best choice anyone can make - Simon is only interested in acts who are massive a the moment, he doesn't care about anyone else. The fact is, One direction is all he cares about, but the moment the hype faces even just a little, he will start to ignore them - he ruined so many acts that way.

I wish Leona luck as I really liked Glassheart, it had quite a few great tracks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In terms of marketing and the choice of singles, Syco haven't known what to do with her since Spirit. I really hope Leona going to someone else will prove to be a great decision, she should be a much bigger international star than she is with a voice like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dreamfish wrote: »
    Can't quite tell if this is sarcasm! Syco are only interested in whatever X Factor artist is making them the most money at that point in time. I'd imagine any other artist on their rosta plays second fiddle and has their artistic integrity scrutinised in every way.

I find it laughable that anyone could defend Syco as a label, for the reason you describe. Remember how they treated poor Shayne Ward? Left him on the shelf for years and when they did a less than half-hearted attempt at a comeback, it was awful and nobody cared. That's not how a good label treats their act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    ABOUT F*****G TIME!!!!

That label pay no attention to her, I'm really happy she's left them. Hopefully her new label will pick her singles wisely! :o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

This is sarcasm right? Syco have no interest in Leona anymore now that Wrong Direction are more popular and are doing well. Leona is one of their best acts and they chose to ignore her and allow the Glassheart album and singles to flop due to poor management and single choices.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fingers crossed she'll have more success with this new record company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Great news! Her next album with Syco was in danger of being an album of covers for mothers day or something ... Hopefully now she'll have more time and effort from a team of people put into her next album along with good songs and a properly run campaign.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flick_ wrote: »
    Her next album with Syco was in danger of being an album of covers for mothers day or something.

Dear God, really!? Someone of Leona's talent - I would go as far as to suggest she is THE voice of her generation - and that's the best they can do? I'm actually disgusted.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Leona confirming in The Mirror today that she was offered a new deal with SYCO but chose to move to Island. Still friendly and on good terms with Simon :)
    She insists it was her *decision to move labels. The Bleeding Love singer, 29, explains: “I was offered another deal with
    Syco but I thought it was time to have a new team with fresh ideas.

“I have spoken to Simon. He is sad I didn’t stay with Sony but he is happy for me and proud. He has been so supportive and he will continue to be supportive and I can always call him up for advice.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/leona-lewis-walking-sunshine-new-3691223#ixzz34bnnhXRo
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Let's hope that they actually do something with her now. Syco are a sorry excuse for a label.

They have no idea what they are doing.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Let's hope that they actually do something with her now. Syco are a sorry excuse for a label.

They have no idea what they are doing.

She confirmed in that interview she has worked with Toby Gad and he is behind songs like Beyonce's 'If I Were A Boy', Fergie's 'Big Girl's Don't Cry', John Legend's 'All Of Me', Nicole Scherzinger's 'Don't Hold Your Breathe and many more. Not that excites me, hopefully Leona is going back to the AC sound of her first two albums.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I think that the damage syco have done cannot be undone. She can do better at Island but I don't think she can go back to the success she had with her debut album.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I think that the damage syco have done cannot be undone. She can do better at Island but I don't think she can go back to the success she had with her debut album.

I woud love her to become a worldwide star again, but honestly I would be happy with her just being a platinum album seller in the UK.

As long as she sells well and is always able to make music and tour I'll be pleased.
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Island are great. They allow their artists freedom, they practically just left Florence to do her own thing when she first started out and look at her now. If you know what artist you want to be and you know the direction you want to go in, then Island is the best.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »
    Island are great. They allow their artists freedom, they practically just left Florence to do her own thing when she first started out and look at her now. If you know what artist you want to be and you know the direction you want to go in, then Island is the best.

I hope the artist she wants to be isn't more rubbish like the glassheart album!