Should Tess Be Axed?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes. One of the most appalling decisions made by Entertainment team at BBC in 2014 to give her the main job. It is so bad as to be just ridiculous. Shows have far people's expectations of decent entertainment presenting have fallen when you have so many thinking her wooden autocue persona is all that is needed for prime time television.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    No
    Well, I am very happy with the present presenting team. I actually watched the whole shows this last year instead of having to fast forward or mute the TV every time the previous presenter opened his mouth, or cringe at his shuffle and groping of Tess at the beginning.

Tess has settled into the job and Claudia a so funny. A much more relaxed atmosphere than previously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Well, I am very happy with the present presenting team. I actually watched the whole shows this last year instead of having to fast forward or mute the TV every time the previous presenter opened his mouth, or cringe at his shuffle and groping of Tess at the beginning.

Tess has settled into the job and Claudia a so funny. A much more relaxed atmosphere than previously.

Oh the anyone is better than Bruce response! Bruce was past his sell by date but just giving his job to his blonde arm totty was not the answer.. I do wonder if he engineered this as part of his agreement to step down. Can't have a good presenter being aligned with 'his' show. SCD is going to suffer longer term if they don't do something to sort our a decent 'professional' presenting team.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Ocado;76197338]Bruce leaving the show exposed Tess for the rubbish presenter she is. Would love Zoe and Claudia presenting it next year, not that it would matter too much as I have decided to give up reality TV in 2015.[/QUOTE]

No.. I completely disagree.... Bruce coming back on the Christmas show, shows us just how much better it is since he left!................. And I noticed with Tess, on her bits where she was speaking she was a different person entirely to the one where she was playing 'second fiddle'!................

This show has had a lovely new lease of life since Bruce has been gone (presenter wise)....

Tess, Claudia and Zoe all make a great big wonderful team!.... long may they reign.....:)
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    mklass wrote: »
    No.. I completely disagree.... Bruce coming back on the Christmas show, shows us just how much better it is since he left!................. And I noticed with Tess, on her bits where she was speaking she was a different person entirely to the one where she was playing 'second fiddle'!................

This show has had a lovely new lease of life since Bruce has been gone (presenter wise)....

Tess, Claudia and Zoe all make a great big wonderful team!.... long may they reign.....:)

..........and Amen to that my friend. :D

Whilst I really don't much like Claudia, I'd rather have her than SBF any day.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    No, why would she need to go? She's the least annoying of the presenters and would only be replaced by the abysmal Alex Jones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    No, why would she need to go? She's the least annoying of the presenters and would only be replaced by the abysmal Alex Jones.

Why do you say her? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Why? The show needs a professional entertainment presenter.

Just watched Christmas special. I'd forgotten how irritating bad Tess is in the Tess pit. She really is outshone in this by both Claudia and Zoe. Both natural and actually engaged with dancers listening to what they say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Oh the anyone is better than Bruce response! Bruce was past his sell by date but just giving his job to his blonde arm totty was not the answer.. I do wonder if he engineered this as part of his agreement to step down. Can't have a good presenter being aligned with 'his' show. SCD is going to suffer longer term if they don't do something to sort our a decent 'professional' presenting team.
    Where did I say "anyone is better than Bruce"?

I said "Tess has settled into the job and Claudia a so funny. A much more relaxed atmosphere than previously." Nowhere in my post can I find "anyone is better than Bruce."

I'll repeat "Tess has settled into the job and Claudia a so funny. A much more relaxed atmosphere than previously." I really like the current presenting team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Why? The show needs a professional entertainment presenter.

Just watched Christmas special. I'd forgotten how irritating bad Tess is in the Tess pit. She really is outshone in this by both Claudia and Zoe. Both natural and actually engaged with dancers listening to what they say.
    Your opinion is that the show needs a professional entertainment presenter.

My opinion and that of many of others is that the last thing the show needs is a professional entertainment presenter. The presenter is there to introduce the celebs and link with the judges. It's about celebs learning to dance and being judged, not about having a host doing his own act and making the show about him. He's even admitted that he wrongly thought it was going to be his entertainment show all about him.

The poll on this thread bears out the opinion that Tess should not be axed, but that's a very mall number of people and not necessarily representative. We're not going to agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

My opinion and that of many of others is that the last thing the show needs is a professional entertainment presenter. The presenter is there to introduce the celebs and link with the judges. It's about celebs learning to dance and being judged, not about having a host doing his own act and making the show about him. He's even admitted that he wrongly thought it was going to be his entertainment show all about him.

The poll on this thread bears out the opinion that Tess should not be axed, but that's a very mall number of people and not necessarily representative. We're not going to agree.

Great post.
    You do speak sense.:)
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

I'm not sure who "he" is meant to be there (Graham Norton?), though I strongly agree in not wanting someone who'd make the show about them.

However, the post compared Tess to Zoe and Claudia, and I do think Tess is quite 'wooden' as a presenter in so high profile a job. I though Tess was almost unbearable when she was presenting with Bruce, but she seemed ok, back then, when she temporarily took over. I think that once she had the job properly, she tried to do / say too much (or the producers had her trying to do too much), and she became again rather hard to take. It's not quite "the less she says, the better", but it would be better if she said less.

The poll is surprisingly close and is far from a strong endorsement of her as a presenter. But if she were replaced, we could easily end up with someone worse, which is one reason I voted "no".
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

Especially when you think of the various 'professional entertainment presenters' who keep being suggested, I can't think of any who I would like to watch present the programme.

One thing that can be guaranteed is that if anyone took over from Tess (including Claudia or Zoe) then within a few weeks there would be thread calling for he or she to be replaced.

I also think that it is rather nice that the BBC has such a high profile programme being presented by two women without any of the hated positive discrimination.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Yes
    lundavra wrote: »
    Especially when you think of the various 'professional entertainment presenters' who keep being suggested, I can't think of any who I would like to watch present the programme.

One thing that can be guaranteed is that if anyone took over from Tess (including Claudia or Zoe) then within a few weeks there would be thread calling for he or she to be replaced.

I also think that it is rather nice that the BBC has such a high profile programme being presented by two women without any of the hated positive discrimination.

Its excellent, such a nice change. :-)

I like Tess but I don't think she is particularly natural in this role.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No

What's abysmal about Alex Jones?

In any case, she seems a considerably better presenter than Tess.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, she's still incredibly dull and amazingly she somehow managed to become even more mind-bendingly insincere despite being taken off interviewing duties. I think Zoe's guest stint showed that she's easily the best presenter they've got. If I had my druthers she'd replace Claudia, Claudia would get It Takes Two back, and they'd slot Graham Norton in as the main host. I appreciate that's not really feasible, but I still don't see any excuse for having such a poor main host of one of the BBC's biggest shows.
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Yes, she's still incredibly dull and amazingly she somehow managed to become even more mind-bendingly insincere
    She makes a few SCD related 'noises' immediately after a couple have finished dancing but it adds nothing of value to the competition or the entertainment imo

Daly? Dully would be better :p
    I still don't see any excuse for having such a poor main host of one of the BBC's biggest shows.
    Seconded
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, she's still incredibly dull and amazingly she somehow managed to become even more mind-bendingly insincere despite being taken off interviewing duties. I think Zoe's guest stint showed that she's easily the best presenter they've got. If I had my druthers she'd replace Claudia, Claudia would get It Takes Two back, and they'd slot Graham Norton in as the main host. I appreciate that's not really feasible, but I still don't see any excuse for having such a poor main host of one of the BBC's biggest shows.

With respect, that is a terrible idea.
    It would just become an extension of The Graham Norton Show.
    Tess isn't perfect - but at least she isn't bigger than the show, she's a part of it.
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Graham managed to host three series of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical searches and two of Strictly Dance Fever - shows where the contestants weren't themselves celebrities and so you might think would be more easily overshadowed in terms of personality - and never once "made it about him". He's not Barrowman.
  • Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    I think Zoe's guest stint showed that she's easily the best presenter they've got. If I had my druthers she'd replace Claudia, Claudia would get It Takes Two back, and they'd slot Graham Norton in as the main host. I appreciate that's not really feasible, but I still don't see any excuse for having such a poor main host of one of the BBC's biggest shows.

Good Lord- if that ever happened, I wouldn't sleep, eat or bathe for three months as I watched recordings of every show on a constant loop.