How does a non gay person become a champion for gay people?

13»

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't we just take support from where it is offered? Yes I get she is a married woman, but at least she is doing something for a cause she believes in. We don't berate Ben Cohen the straight rugby player for standing up against homophobic bullying and getting his kit off at every opportunity do we? We don't condone brad Pitt and angelina Julie for saying they will not get married until gays and lesbians can get married in all 50 states? We don't think that Daniel Radcliffe doing a Trevor project ad is disrespectful cause he is a straight man. I could go on and on with other examples of straight allies to the gay community just take the positive energy and support cause there is enough negativity towards us.

What? What exactly is she doing?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    100% agreed.

But who is she to say Perez is letting down the LGBT community?

I respect her for her advocation, but i don't respect her for using it against someone. Her saying Perez has put back 'years of hard work' and 'fighting' for LGBT people is way over the top!

Just because she doesn't like him, whos saying other wont?

Your right there are idiots out there that do like him and his childish ways. but you can't polish turds :D
  • lightupvmlightupvm Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She hates the only gay person in the house (oops, sorry, Kav, forgot you were there).
    She let Alex say the f word because Perez had 'driven him to it.'
    She wears a t-shirt.
    I don't get it. I must be missing something.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lightupvm wrote: »
    She hates the only gay person in the house (oops, sorry, Kav, forgot you were there).
    She let Alex say the f word because Perez had 'driven him to it.'
    She wears a t-shirt.
    I don't get it. I must be missing something.

:D:D:D
  • Angie_PlastyAngie_Plasty Posts: 6,333
    Forum Member
    I still don't understand what Perez's sexuality has got to do with anything.

I can't remember Perez himself or anyone else in there mentioning it as an issue except Michelle, who's obsessed by it.

Is it a coincidence that Perez wasn't a "disgrace" before he nominated her and was after he nominated her?

Isn't singling someone out and attacking them for their homosexuality the essence of homophobia?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't we just take support from where it is offered?.
    What support has she actually offered? I've yet to hear of anything she has actually done to advance gay rights except to don a t-shirt and say she is an advocate and representative of gay people. I'd that really all it takes?
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a gay man myself, I don't have a problem that she supports the LGBT community etc. What I do have a problem with is that she thinks she is "the voice" of the gay community and she thinks she can tell gay people how they should and should not behave. She seems to think Perez should be a role model for the gay community and always think of how his behaviour will look to the community. She's ridiculous. Also (and I've said this so many times on here already), I take it she doesn't support gay pride events or approve of gay clubs, as Perez's behaviour is nothing compared to the antics that go on at these events and clubs. She also claims to be a big gay advocate, but I've googled and cannot find a single thing she has done for the gay community. I have no problem with her supporting the gay community, but she is not the voice for the gay community. It's almost as if she wants praise because she likes gay people and isn't homophobic. News Flash darling, so our millions of other people. She seems desperate for praise and adoration, but for what? Just because she's a fan of the gays?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a gay man myself, I don't have a problem that she supports the LGBT community etc. What I do have a problem with is that she thinks she is "the voice" of the gay community and she thinks she can tell gay people how they should and should not behave. She seems to think Perez should be a role model for the gay community and always think of how his behaviour will look to the community. She's ridiculous. Also (and I've said this so many times on here already), I take it she doesn't support gay pride events or approve of gay clubs, as Perez's behaviour is nothing compared to the antics that go on at these events and clubs. She also claims to be a big gay advocate, but I've googled and cannot find a single thing she has done for the gay community. I have no problem with her supporting the gay community, but she is not the voice for the gay community. It's almost as if she wants praise because she likes gay people and isn't homophobic. News Flash darling, so our millions of other people. She seems desperate for praise and adoration, but for what? Just because she's a fan of the gays?

That's a bugbear for me too. It's unbelievably patronising.
    For her to say that 'this country needs a voice' undermines the big efforts many people have undertaken over the course of decades in fighting for equality, gay and straight people alike.
    But Michelle figures that now she's turned up as a Johnny-come-lately she can make an announcement to everybody that this country needs a voice, and that by merely wearing a tee-shirt with a slogan on it she is that voice that we've all been waiting for who everyone should turn to.

She comes across as egotistical as anyone in there, and has the gall to call other people selfish and narcissistic.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do I take it that nobody knows of anything she has actually done to support her fight and crusade for equality. I googled too and couldn't find anything
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oncemore wrote: »
    You don't have to be gay to be an ally or advocate for LGBT issues. Plenty of straight women have become gay icons and outspoken advocates of LGBT equality.

I honestly don't see how the concept is so difficult to grasp.

I agree, my best friend is straight but her mum is a lesbian and has always had loads of gay friends. She is a big supporter of gay rights, stands up for gays where necessary, but she doesn't do it in a patronising or 'look at me aren't I a saint' way. She genuinely cares - and so does Michelle.

Just cos Michelle is straight doesn't mean her passion for LGBT issues isn't genuine. I doubt she gives two shits if anyone doubts her sincerity on the matter. She knows she's real, and so does the gay community.
  • Watch BB on 5Watch BB on 5 Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    there's a longer version of lgbt known as LGBTQIA2-S. the a represents ally, which michelle probably sees herself as. she may even think of herself as q also (queer).
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can champion LGBT rights in the same way that men can support feminist movements, or white people can stand alongside black people in places like Ferguson.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    She can champion LGBT rights in the same way that men can support feminist movements, or white people can stand alongside black people in places like Ferguson.

I don't think anyone is saying there's anything wrong with her championing LGBT rights. The issue is that she seems to think she has the right to tell a gay person how they should behave, and if the behaviour isn't how she likes it, then the person is deemed "an embarrassment to the gay community".
  • simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there should be more people like her tbh. Sure the lgbt community can stands up for themselves but it helps a great deal when there are other people fighting with you.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctimonious , Martyr= Michelle Visage. Hilarious:D
  • eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have some posts been deleted from this thread?
  • benbeez1benbeez1 Posts: 18,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh here we go into round 3 DING DING DING!!!!! (ROLLEYES/SARCASTIC)