Dermot O'Leary new presenter for 2015

Comments

• Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Highly unlikely - presumably Dermot is renegotiating his contract with Cowell and ITV so wants to appear to have other options.

Why would he take a pay cut anyway?

The chance of this is zero!

Maybe ITV will give him the football anchor role now they have sacked Adrian Chiles - or maybe they are saving that one for Susanna Reid when they finally admit they made a mistake in signing her for GMB.
  • tomas08tomas08 Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    God forbid but if BBC radio 2 needed a temp breakfast host I think Dermot should be lined up. Which is something I think he want to go more into and hopefully bring him back to his BBLB days. Also I think Dermot want more political role. He already said he like to do a question time type thing.

sCD is not really suited to him I don't think.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    ssr wrote: »
    All that says is that he's leaving X-Factor.

Nothing at all about your assertion that he's being lined up for Strictly. So I DO still doubt you.!!!!!!!!

There absolutely no connection between the the official statement that he's leaving X-Factor and your unconnected statement that he's being lined up for Strictly.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt he would leave the X Factor. I don't think he's right for the role anyway.
    kaycee wrote: »
    As he has said he has no plans to leave X-F yet, it would unlikely he would be considered for SCD! Whether he would be good or not, I haven't a clue, as I don't watch X-F so have never seen him.

Its easy to be wise after the event.:D
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooo.I really hope NOT. DON'T fix what isn't broke bbc >:(>:(>:(!!!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    ssr wrote: »
    What has any of that got to do with ballroom and Latin dances? Nothing.

That's no "clue" at all. Just wishful thinking on your part that you think you know something no-one else does. He's just horsing around. He's been axed, and it's expected that the whole of X-Factor will be revamped and others axed as well.

He has previously said he wouldn't want to do Strictly anyway because they a very close-knit group.

We don't even know if there's going to be a next series of Strictly, but, if there is, I fully expect to see Tess and Claudia back. They did a great job last year and the BBC was proud to have had the first major show with two women presenting. It would be insulting and they'd be slapping them in the face if they didn't keep them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    What has any of that got to do with ballroom and Latin dances? Nothing.

That's no "clue" at all. Just wishful thinking on your part that you think you know something no-one else does. He's just horsing around. He's been axed, and it's expected that the whole of X-Factor will be revamped and others axed as well.

He has previously said he wouldn't want to do Strictly anyway because they a very close-knit group.

We don't even know if there's going to be a next series of Strictly, but, if there is, I fully expect to see Tess and Claudia back. They did a great job last year and the BBC was proud to have had the first major show with two women presenting. It would be insulting and they'd be slapping them in the face if they didn't keep them.

Now that would put the cat amonst the pigeons. :o
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Strictly certainly needs someone of Dermot talent and ability. It can't continue long term as it is. Well it can on a downward spiral.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Well Strictly certainly needs someone of Dermot talent and ability. It can't continue long term as it is. Well it can on a downward spiral.

Completely utterly and totally disagree.......... so there.:p

What's wrong with it anyway? :confused:
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Strange that the show fronted by someone with so much talent and ability had such poor ratings while the one you think is on a downward spiral had its best ratings ever.
    Very odd indeed.

Unless you are him, of course.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly didn't have anywhere near to its best ratings ever.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, surely, the ratings of the show are based on the content of the show, the "stars", the pro dancers and, yes, even the judges. The one component that is almost irrelevant is the presenter.

We all read abut how "essential" the unlamented FForsyth was to the show, completely forgetting that the show has been very successful in around 40 countries, all with different presenters.

Clearly content is important, and presenters are a very small part of that content. Did anyone ever turn on SCD just to watch FForsyth? Thought not!

Indeed many posters here, viewers, actually FF'd through the recording to avoid him, to avoid the presenter. None of them did that to avoid the real content.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of people here (claim to) fast-forward all sorts of "real content". The judges comments, the VTs, the guest singers, the duffer contestants who shouldn't even be here because didnt you know it's supposed to be a dance competition, the ringers who shouldn't even be here because didn't you know it's supposed to be about learning to dance... I'd take it all with a pinch of salt if I were you. If the real world reflected the Fast Forward Brigade on here, ratings would have gone up a million after Bruce left, not down.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Plenty of people here (claim to) fast-forward all sorts of "real content". The judges comments, the VTs, the guest singers, the duffer contestants who shouldn't even be here because didnt you know it's supposed to be a dance competition, the ringers who shouldn't even be here because didn't you know it's supposed to be about learning to dance... I'd take it all with a pinch of salt if I were you. If the real world reflected the Fast Forward Brigade on here, ratings would have gone up a million after Bruce left, not down.

Indeed they did. It's not worth arguing but downward they went and it isn't going to stop that trajectory.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would reconsider watching this year if he was presenting. I put up with Bruce, but Dermot would be hideous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    ... ratings would have gone up a million after Bruce left, not down.

The departure of FForsyth was a long-overdue blessing, and the show was better, slicker and more enjoyable without him. However, it was not due to his absence that the ratings dropped, rather, it was due to the perceived weakness of the "star" content last year. If the choice of "stars" was more in tune with the public then the ratings would go up once more.

Let us wait until we see the official list of contestants and see what comments that brings forth.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The departure of FForsyth was a long-overdue blessing, and the show was better, slicker and more enjoyable without him. However, it was not due to his absence that the ratings dropped, rather, it was due to the perceived weakness of the "star" content last year.
    In your opinion I guess, as there was no authoratitive survey published which came to that conclusion.

In truth, it was likely to be a range of factors, including the observed fact that ratings everywhere were down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    In your opinion I guess, as there was no authoratitive survey published which came to that conclusion.

Of course it is a mater of opinion, and indeed there was no authoritative survey as the the merits,attraction or suitability of FForsyth in the presenter role but the general consensus here was, based upon viewer comments and opinions, not in favour of him continuing.

Likewise, opinions here from viewers was trending along the lines of last year's contestants being a little underwhelming overall.

Having seen the program in three different countries my own opinion remains that the presenter is less important to the enjoyment of the show than the contestants, judges and, to some extent the choice of music.

As with every comment on DS, it all comes down to opinion. You may choose to disagree with mine, as I may choose to disagree with yours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is a mater of opinion, and indeed there was no authoritative survey as the the merits,attraction or suitability of FForsyth in the presenter role but the general consensus here was, based upon viewer comments and opinions, not in favour of him continuing.

Likewise, opinions here from viewers was trending along the lines of last year's contestants being a little underwhelming overall.
    And neither are likely to be any representative sample of the SCD viewers.

Indeed, it is also very risky to base any conclusions on what is trending on Twitter.

Having seen the program in three different countries my own opinion remains that the presenter is less important to the enjoyment of the show than the contestants, judges and, to some extent the choice of music.

As with every comment on DS, it all comes down to opinion. You may choose to disagree with mine, as I may choose to disagree with yours.
    Indeed, as you now agree, it's a personal opinion.

But, as I added on my earlier post, having followed the various ratings discussions on both the main Ratings thread, and on the Doctor Who ratings thread, there is evidence that viewing figures are down across the board for all programmes, and that this has been the trend over the last two years. That is not opinion-based, but based upon the documented figures.

Other possible factors:

The loss of Brucie
    The new presenting lineup
    The increasing move away from SCD of the early years
    The increase in the use of silly props
    The merging of the dances into a sort of modern fusion so that dances have lost their identity
    Boredom with the format
    Unknown (for some viewers) celebs

As I said earlier, there could be a range of factors, not solely one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    ...Indeed, it is also very risky to base any conclusions on what is trending on Twitter....

The word "trending" was unfortunate, and, actually, I never mentioned Twitter.

I am sure that that medium has it's time and place, for someone, somewhere, although it is not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The word "trending" was unfortunate, and, actually, I never mentioned Twitter.
    Sorry, saw the term & jumped to the Twitter conclusion
    I am sure that that medium has it's time and place, for someone, somewhere, although it is not for me.
    Well, on that we can agree.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Keith Chegwin would make a far better presenter then Dermot .