Options

Susan Boyle - let's give ITV some credit

henderohendero Posts: 11,773
Forum Member
✭✭
I know there are loads of threads about her elsewhere on the DS boards, but I'd be interested in the more cynical views of the Broadcast forum contributors. Her performance last Saturday has over 13 million views on a single Youtube post in five and a half days, and she's become a media sensation in the US. In addition to her terrific performance, the set up, editing and presentation by ITV was first rate. Britain really does have talent.

Comments

• Options
    madnutter0102madnutter0102 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    WAY WAY over the top.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes ITVs version of a US format, along with the "talent" of a member of the public, yep ITV is now the best broadcaster in the world
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    yes ITVs version of a US format, along with the "talent" of a member of the public, yep ITV is now the best broadcaster in the world

The format was devised in the UK but made it to air in the US first, if you wish to be pedantic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well lets face it, this isnt really about TV, this is a YouTube video gone viral, she is the latest YouTube star, the only difference is, the clip was uploaded from TV media.

so yes ITV has spent £millions on a YouTube viral video.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isnt she scottish?
    so not from an itv covered area? :D

anyway, its a SYCO/talkbackThames production, not an itv one
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Simon Cowell who should take the credit... not ITV... they don't even make the show.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edgexedge wrote: »
    isnt she scottish?
    so not from an itv covered area? :D

ITV is the network name of which Stv is the licencee for both Northern & Central Scotland regions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this quite interesting i noticed that The Mirror (i think) had a front page on how she shouldn't be forced to change her appearance. No doubt the rest of the paper was full of gawping articles about celebs looking awful without their make-up on! Got to love the tabloids, if only for a good laugh! They can perform U-turns that can be seen from space (Charlie Brooker)

As for her performance, the singing was ok, but she was very uneasy beforehand and wasn't exactly lady-like!

The crocodile tears from the female judge were unnecessary, but i suppose they're trying to top that Nessun Dorma guy.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found this quite interesting i noticed that The Mirror (i think) had a front page on how she shouldn't be forced to change her appearance. No doubt the rest of the paper was full of gawping articles about celebs looking awful without their make-up on! Got to love the tabloids, if only for a good laugh! They can perform U-turns that can be seen from space (Charlie Brooker)

As for her performance, the singing was ok, but she was very uneasy beforehand and wasn't exactly lady-like!

The crocodile tears from the female judge were unnecessary, but i suppose they're trying to top that Nessun Dorma guy.

Now this is exactly the type of opinion I was hoping to get from the Boadcasting forum. Nice one, BW, put a smile on my face.
  • Options
    woodysdadwoodysdad Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    ITV is the network name of which Stv is the licencee for both Northern & Central Scotland regions.

Wrong..STV merely buy the progs from ITV!
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC could never do "Britains Got Talent", they would turn it into some politically correct psuedo-PSB piece of hyped rubbish.

Only ITV could do something that is just so British without seeming patronising and elitist.

So yes, give ITV some credit. What do the BBC make that even comes close to representing an aspect of Britain that isn't upper-middle class pensioners or faux cockney?
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    I know there are loads of threads about her elsewhere on the DS boards, but I'd be interested in the more cynical views of the Broadcast forum contributors. Her performance last Saturday has over 13 million views on a single Youtube post in five and a half days, and she's become a media sensation in the US. In addition to her terrific performance, the set up, editing and presentation by ITV was first rate. Britain really does have talent.

She's a media sensation worldwide ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    She's a media sensation worldwide ...
    for all of 10 minutes
  • Options
    Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    Well, we'll have to see what happens when her album comes out... ;) I'm sure it will sell worldwide
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not a US format. It was created by Simon Cowell, developed at his British production company by a British development team then piloted at ITV before being produced in the US with a team of mainly British producers. There is room for argument about ITV's involvement, but it is certainly a British format.

BBC get loads of praise for Spooks, Hustle, Life On Mars, The Apprentice and New Tricks but none of them are in house productions. Broadcasting isn't about making the shows.

One of the best things that ITV might have done here is to leave the producers alone. This is, apparently, the show that they wanted to make. Whereas the US one has been subject to inteference by NBC.

On the other hand, BBC1 have a real treasure of a show coming up:
    BBC One is to host a brand new live entertainment show for Saturday nights where your belongings become the stars of the show.

Hosted by Graham Norton, Totally Saturday turns the tables on members of the audience as it gets hold of their possessions and puts them centre stage – no-one is safe, once you are in that audience your life could be laid bare in front of millions.

Imagine realising that your favourite pop star had "borrowed" your car when you thought it was in for an MOT. Or seeing your childhood teddy bear enjoying a drink on the beach with your favourite TV idol after they've read your personal diary.

Press Release

Makes you appreciate ITV, doesn't it?! :p
  • Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    It's not a US format. It was created by Simon Cowell, developed at his British production company by a British development team then piloted at ITV before being produced in the US with a team of mainly British producers. There is room for argument about ITV's involvement, but it is certainly a British format.

BBC get loads of praise for Spooks, Hustle, Life On Mars, The Apprentice and New Tricks but none of them are in house productions. Broadcasting isn't about making the shows.

One of the best things that ITV might have done here is to leave the producers alone. This is, apparently, the show that they wanted to make. Whereas the US one has been subject to inteference by NBC.

On the other hand, BBC1 have a real treasure of a show coming up:

Press Release

Makes you appreciate ITV, doesn't it?! :p

I'm warming to ITV, at least they don't put political correctness before storylines and don't cast programmes according to a race quota system.

Hope ITV keeps killing wishy-washy PC crap like Dr Who and Robin Hood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wont lie I hate ITV, but the BBC is alot more hit & miss with its saturday night "entertainment" shows than ITV, of course when the BBC gets it right, it tends to get it more right than ITV.

Personally I am trying to work out how the new John Barrowman vehicle, is not "Jim'll Fix It" in all but name
    BBC get loads of praise for Spooks, Hustle, Life On Mars, The Apprentice and New Tricks but none of them are in house productions.
    this is true, alot of those listed shows are made by Kudos, but guess what happened when the same production company made Moving Wallpaper & Echo Beach for ITV, they flopped really badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paper Doll wrote: »
    Hope ITV keeps killing wishy-washy PC crap like Dr Who and Robin Hood.
    keeps? in what way is ITV killing Doctor Who or even Robin Hood? Robin Hood may kill itself when all its actors leaves, but that wont be ITVs doing.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    The set-up, editing and presentation by Syco TV, Freemantle Media and Talkback Thames was good, yes.

All ITV did was pay for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodysdad wrote: »
    Wrong..STV merely buy the progs from ITV!
    No, STV is a licence holder, just like ITV plc is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    The set-up, editing and presentation by Syco TV, Freemantle Media and Talkback Thames was good, yes.

All ITV did was pay for it.
    so when ITV gets a hit, its not because ITV had anything to do with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when ITV gets a hit, its not because ITV had anything to do with it?
    Not for the presentation or editing of the show no.

For the promotion, advertising, ratings, yes.

I wouldn't suggest the great presentation of The Apprentice was the BBC's doing, its the same company that produces Britain's Got Talent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so it Talent a hit despite the fact its on ITV, or because of it?
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a hit because the general British public like to watch people humiliate themselves infront of the masses =]

I know i do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know. The only point I made was that it is Freemantle that makes these shows and they make them well. The high production values are down to them, and thats why ITV pay £1m an episode for it.