Options

Budget video camera?

SealegSealeg Posts: 449
Forum Member
My 14 year old nephew has asked me for a video camera for Christmas, i don't think he's expecting anything fancy, just something he can mess around with and try a bit of editing and youtube and stuff.

Can anyone recommend a decent one for around £50?

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would normally recommend the Flip camera but they are outside your budget so how about this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-PlayFull-1080P-Stabilisation-Built-/dp/B004LFO1YG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354716053&sr=8-2

You will need to budget a bit extra to get a SD card as well if you don't have one.
  • Options
    SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I would normally recommend the Flip camera but they are outside your budget so how about this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodak-PlayFull-1080P-Stabilisation-Built-/dp/B004LFO1YG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354716053&sr=8-2

You will need to budget a bit extra to get a SD card as well if you don't have one.

Thanks, I've seen a Vivtar one for £49.99 in Argos as well. Will have to do a comparison with the specs and so on.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Just had a look on the Which? site searching for pocket camcorders up to £61 and the best is the Sony Bloggie Touch MHS-TS20 at 66%, then the Kodak Playfull Ze1 at 64%, then the JVC Piscio GC-FM2 at 62%. The Sony has the best colour reproduction and level of detail. The JVC is best in daylight and artificial light and it is easy to transfer vids to YouTube. The Kodak has more features and longer battery life.

All three can handle 1080p and the JVC and Kodak can take 5MP still pics whereas the Sony can take 12.8MP still pics. The sound is poor on all three models. None has an optical zoom, only digital and there is no built in memory in the JVC and Kodak, you have to use a card. The Sony has 8GB memory built-in. None of the camcorders is anything special but all three are much better than other pocket camcorders in this price range, and only slightly inferior to camcorders up to £120. There aren't any ordinary camcorders in this price range worth buying.

The Sony is only available from Tesco, where it costs £205 and Amazon Marketplace £61 inc del. The ASIN is B0043XYXMQ. The JVC is only available from Amazon Marketplace at £55 inc del. The ASIN is B0040QW350. The Kodak is available from a couple of online shops but by far the cheapest again on Amazon Marketplace at £58 inc del. The ASIN is B004LFM0EY. Note: Which tested the Vivitar DVR 850WHD and it is a Don't Buy, only scoring 27%.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Just noticed the Kodak Ze1 is much cheaper with c4rv's link!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    Just noticed the Kodak Ze1 is much cheaper with c4rv's link!

I think there are two different prices depending on which colour you want.