Options

iPod Classic

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
Posted a couple of discussions lately, but I don't suppose there's any harm, hopefully this one is the right section. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I lost my mp3 player :(

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NWZA865B-CEW-Series-16GB-Walkman/dp/B005BBF49A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1359334410&sr=8-7

I've always bought Sony and been really happy with them, to me they sound really good and I just prefer the brand I guess. I'm considering a 160gb iPod classic now though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPod-classic-160GB-Generation/dp/B002MRRROQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359335189&sr=8-1

I don't really want an iPod, but the music folder on my laptop is about 150gb :eek: so the Classic makes sense.

Lots of the amazon reviews though say that the sound on an iPod isn't as good as the sound on a Sony, does anyone know if this is true? Also are there any other Mp3 players costing under or not much more than £200 which will hold at least 64gb or so of music?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    I'm considering getting a classic too. Can anyone who has one tell me how many years it has lasted them, how often you use it, and how many hours you can use it until it needs recharging, etc?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm considering getting a classic too. Can anyone who has one tell me how many years it has lasted them, how often you use it, and how many hours you can use it until it needs recharging, etc?
    I have had my ipod classic 80gb for 5 years now with no problems and I use it most days. Not too sure exactly what you get out of the battery has I always have it connected to things that keep it charged. I do know you can get extra life out of the battery by using an energy saver mode where the screen won't be showing any information.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had my ipod classic 80gb for 5 years now with no problems and I use it most days. Not too sure exactly what you get out of the battery has I always have it connected to things that keep it charged. I do know you can get extra life out of the battery by using an energy saver mode where the screen won't be showing any information.

I've had the 160gb for a couple of years now- I'm one of those 466 happy customers :) - and, like Peter, I use it mains connected. I use it most days, if not every, when I'm at the pc (mainly audio books) and love it!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 60GB Classic that I've had for about 8 years. As far as I know it still works and has no battery problems or anything. I never had a single issue with it and used it loads. The only reason I got a new one was because I ran out of space on it. I've now got a 160GB Classic, had that about 2 years and again had no issues.
  • Options
    BillyCasperBillyCasper Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my 160g for about 6 years and never had an issue and use it most days. Battery life is excellent.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Had my 80gb one for just under 5 years. It gets used for at least an hour every day and has been faultless in that time. Again, I have it charging all the time so no idea on battery life.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've had mine 5-6 years now and I wouldn't have anything else. The battery life is fantastic. I use it every day to and from work and I charge every 1-2 weeks. I think the only time the battery ran out was when I hadn't charged it for a week then had it on all day on a day out.
  • Options
    Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I've had my iPod classic for six years and although it doesn't look so good now due to so much use (scratches and stuff) it still works as well as it did the day I bought it. It's only 30G though and it is looking very battered so I'm probably going to get a new one soon. But I will always go for iPod classic now if possible. I highly recommend it! :)
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a 160gb classic and had it for about 6-7 years, battery life is still pretty good but I don't think its quite as good as it was, The thing about the iPod classic is that it has no competitors as far as I know. For people with large collections who want something portable its pretty much the only choice.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had iPod classics for ages, a 30gb white one whcih i filled up and moved onto a 160gb black one. That's about 6 years old now.

I get a decent battery life out of it, and the sound quality is okay for my ears.

Great for audiobooks as you're never worried about space saving.

I do have a tiny issue with it - you can set the clock format to eiter 12hour or 24hour display, which works fine on the clock on the main screen but the clock that appears in screensaver mode ignores this preference completely and is only ever shown in 12hour clock format.
  • Options
    Mr ApplebeeMr Applebee Posts: 215
    Forum Member

I've had my 160gb classic for 6 years now. Still as good as new, gets used every day via my cars ipod docking. Never had a single issue with it. The battery is brilliant aswell, took mine to centre parks with me for a week and although I wasn't using it constantly it did get used alot and it didn't need charging once. I think ipods do suffer ever so slightly in the sound quality department but not enough for anyone to notice unless you're a complete audiophile. Which if u were u probally wouldn't be listening to mp3s. It's snobbery for the most part in my opinion, my ipod sounds class through my car system.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am one of the many that have a 160GB iPod classic. I have had mine for 3 years and it is still going strong. The headphones that Apple supply are really crap. I have a cheap pair of Sony headphones are they are great on the iPod.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have had a 120gb for almost four years. Still works but the battery no where near as good. Loses charge seemingly whether you use it or not, but as long I as I charge it at night it's still perfectly usable. Sister has a 160gb, six years old and no problems as of yet.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    It is possible to change the battery on an ipod classic, although it is a bit fiddly to crack open the case and you need steady hands to deal with the teeny tiny screws and ribbon wires etc.
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my 120gb since 2008, never had any problems with it. As far as hard drive space there really isn't any other mp3 device to compare it with. With your collection you don't have much choice! :P
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the ipod in the iphone had a custom own equalizer setting like in itunes instead of all the presets, could set up my own sound preference.

Agree Apple's earphones are crap sounding.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a 30gb from 2007, it still works ok, I've never had anything else so I can't tell you about sound quality. Battery lasts me about... 4-5 days I'd say.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my ipod classic 160gb for about 4 years now. I think I've drained the battery life a little, but I mainly use it hooked up to a dock at home, and have got a nano which I use when I'm out.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have an I-Pod, OP, but i agree with you about Sony quality, i've had a Sony hi-fi system for 22yrs :eek: Great piece of kit. Cheers
  • Options
    dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple's new Earpods are much better than the old earbuds, but couple the Classic with a pair of Sennheisers and you're good to go.

Only ever heard fantastic things about the iPod Classic.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my ipod classic since it's release after filling up my previous 60GB one (and the one before that) must admit don't listen to music on it as much as I use to but these days it's kept in the car for use on long trips etc when I don't want to listen to the radio - I've found it to be a brilliant piece of kit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I’ve had my I pod Classic 160gb for over three years now. I have never had a problem with it, and I listen to it for several hours, every day. At three years old, my battery lasts around five days.

Thanks to its leather protector, it’s still looks brand new.

I absolutely love it. It keeps me sane :D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to be pretty much all good stuff being said about the classic, I think I'm going to get one when i get paid. It probably is just snobbery about the sound, but I don't know.
    Apple earphones though are horrible, i'll be replacing those straight away.

Has anyone ever owned one of these by any chance? it seems about the only other big mp3 player in my budget :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowon-120GB-Portable-Media-Player/dp/B0047Z5ZEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359479687&sr=8-1

sony are the best IMO silvio, i have a sony surround sound by them that's pretty awesome, it's just i'd need about five walkmans to make the ipod!
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a classic for almost 2 years, absolutely love it, battery I can't comment on as I use it during the day and charge it when I'm on here on an evening
  • Options
    GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had 120gb iPod classic for over four years and no problems. Listen to it most days and battery life is good. Highly recommend them!