TV Viewing Figures from many moons ago?

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,193
Forum Member
Is there anywhere online you can access tv viewing data from before 1998? as BARB only seems to go that far back. I'm curious to know the viewing figures of alot of programmes from the 80s and 90s.

Comments

• NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    I'll take that as a no then lol.
  • polanticpolantic Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe The Stage archive has TAM/BARB top tens going back to the '60s but you have to subscribe...

The Stage archive
  • polanticpolantic Posts: 683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a sample from 1990...

BARB Top Tens 2/12/90
  • Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Neighbours #2 soap??!?!?! Bare in mind, this was the golden era for the show back then...was it when Kylie left?

CH4 would kill for 6.63m now....heck they'd kill for 1.5m...a million....
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polantic wrote: »

BARB Top Tens 2/12/90

Those viewing figures seem insane now we're in the era of multi channel TV!

Would be interesting to see how the total viewing audience compares though. I would assume that it's up on 1990 if anything given TV ownership can have only gone one way since?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those regional top tens are very interesting - look at the dominance of the BBC in Scotland for instance and Coronation Street barely making the top ten in London.
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some 1968 issues of The Stage & Television Today where the regional breakdowns are very revealing indeed. The Forsyte Saga top in the South & South West but not even Top 10 in the Old Labour heartlands, the BBC doing far better in the Grampian region than anywhere else north of the Midlands, the ITV dominance of Northern Ireland and Central Scotland only really breached by BBC stars Val Doonican & Stanley Baxter respectively, Match of the Day being the highest-rated BBC show in Northern Ireland one week when *of course* Man Utd & George Best were on ...
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    There is somewhere on the BARB website that will show you a limited selection of TV ratings from many years ago, going right back to the beginning of BARB in 1981.
    Forum Member
    polantic wrote: »

BARB Top Tens 2/12/90

Surprised Spitting Image isn't on there, that was on at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Surprised Spitting Image isn't on there, that was on at the time.

I'm not surprised. It was influential and had a strong following, but it was never that popular with the mass audience.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised. It was influential and had a strong following, but it was never that popular with the mass audience.

It was on relatively late too. I was never allowed to stay up and watch it :o

Interesting to see the Cosby show getting good ratings. Not because it was any good, purely because it was up against the GodSlot :D
    Forum Member

I'm sure I heard Fluck and Law bigging up how large the ratings were at one point in the Radio Times special in the run-up to the 2010 election?

Or were their claims just a brief spike in the ratings around 1986/87?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some 1968 issues of The Stage & Television Today where the regional breakdowns are very revealing indeed. The Forsyte Saga top in the South & South West but not even Top 10 in the Old Labour heartlands, the BBC doing far better in the Grampian region than anywhere else north of the Midlands, the ITV dominance of Northern Ireland and Central Scotland only really breached by BBC stars Val Doonican & Stanley Baxter respectively, Match of the Day being the highest-rated BBC show in Northern Ireland one week when *of course* Man Utd & George Best were on ...

ITV was always strongest in the North, Northern Ireland, Central Scotland and to a lesser extent the Midlands. Even now STV and UTV outrate the BBC, though some of STV's success might have to do with being a Scottish owned station, while the BBC are seen as being an English and unionist organisation.
    Actually I live in the Border region, the last part of England to get ITV, but also the most loyal to its regional bulletin, Lookaround, which even now outrates Look North. Due to west Cumbria being a mostly working class, old Labour type area shows like Coronation St and Emmerdale are far more popular here than they are in the South or the middle class Lakes part of the county.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbours #2 soap??!?!?! Bare in mind, this was the golden era for the show back then...was it when Kylie left?

CH4 would kill for 6.63m now....heck they'd kill for 1.5m...a million....

Neighbours was broadcast twice a day and the figures were added together as an overall amount. However even taking into account the infancy of multi-channel from the late eighties the interest was astounding. Ratings were over 20 million at times(not all that many shows can say that) and to an extent were driven by the Scott and Charlene characters who became national favourites.
    I can remember Brian Johnston going on about Neighbours in the Test Match Special broadcasts. That's how popular it was ;)
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If we're talking 1968 I don't think Grampian had the coverage they had in later years. They were very much North east Scotland, rather than North Scotland- so in some cases the BBC might have been unchallenged- quite simply no ITA transmitter in parts of the region to give any coverage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    . while the BBC are seen as being an English and unionist organisation.

Any sources for such outlandish claims?

Especially as the ratings linked to in this thread clearly show the "unionist" BBC having more programmes in the top 10 than "made in Scotland from girders" STV and Grampian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking 1968 I don't think Grampian had the coverage they had in later years. They were very much North east Scotland, rather than North Scotland- so in some cases the BBC might have been unchallenged- quite simply no ITA transmitter in parts of the region to give any coverage.

Good point; I hadn't thought of that (though the figures do specify "North East Scotland", I think, as indeed did the ITA yearbooks of the time).

Grampian's 'Cairngorm Cabaret' was being taken by Border and getting a larger share than in its region of origin, but again possibly because ITV coverage was more complete.

I do hope we don't get another tedious, point-missing England v Scotland thread here.
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    If you go into Google Groups and search UK TV Charts you should be able to find some Top 10s from 1991, 1992 and 1993.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, as posted to rec.arts.tv.uk at the time. Thanks for those!

Interesting that in the first one I've found, 'Chimera' was Top 10, ahead of (first series, but still) Soldier Soldier and (pre-Redmond/plane crash, but still) Emmerdale - what a great series that was.

Your user name suggests good taste in music as well ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tour de France (or, more specifically, the half-hour highlights package which was all we got of it back then) not in the Channel 4 Top 30 in 1991 - bet it would be *right* up there now if they still had it!
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    Your user name suggests good taste in music as well ...

Hahaha thank you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England v Sweden in Euro 92 - Gary Lineker being substituted in his last game, all that - only got 11 million, less than a Birds of a Feather repeat. That just seems extraordinary now.

(I also remember Bob Mills, I think, commenting on the similarity of Brian Moore's goal call in that game to Dolly Parton's "Jolene", but ITV only showed highlights; the BBC alone showed it live so it wasn't as if there was a split audience.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's live semi-final in that tournament - Germany v Sweden on Sunday 21st June - didn't make their Top 10. More people, if we accept BARB's methodology, watched The Comedians and Jimmy's. A different world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "All major publically funded organisations should have internet access" - July 1992

Interesting that they speculate on Points of View inviting contributions by email - it would be, in fact, the first BBC programme to have that facility, and at one point its producer Bernard Newnham supposedly had the only internet connection in TVC.

Interesting (in the context of repeated debates on here), that the Wimbledon men's final of 1991, back when it was on BBC2 because that was where Sunday Grandstand was, got more viewers than the women's final on BBC1. And I think that was the last year they didn't show the French Grand Prix live because of Wimbledon - from 1992 it was live on BBC1.

And the only non-soap (or non-weekly drama if The Bill doesn't count) to get more viewers than the first episode of Chimera was ... Big Break.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good point; I hadn't thought of that (though the figures do specify "North East Scotland", I think, as indeed did the ITA yearbooks of the time).

Grampian's 'Cairngorm Cabaret' was being taken by Border and getting a larger share than in its region of origin, but again possibly because ITV coverage was more complete.

I do hope we don't get another tedious, point-missing England v Scotland thread here.

Until 1981 some of the Western Isles only had the BBC. I can remember reading the TV Times in February 1981 and one of the articles was about the Western Isles finally being able to receive ITV.
    Also with regard to Border, it served both England and Scotland and Cairngorm Cabaret would have been part of a roster of STV and Grampian programmes we had such as Scotsport, the Melrose Sevens, the SNP Conference and any live Scottish football STV had the rights to. Also I can remember eagerly awaiting the premiere of Enter The Dragon, only to be told the Border region had highlights of a Scotland game.