Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what the 'end of week viewing figures' have been for The Musketeers lately?

Overnights appear to have dropped again this week - 4.5 million, down from 4.8 million for the previous episode. ( though I get the impression some viewers thought the series had finished because of the BAFTA's the previous week and Sherlock Holmes only getting 3 or 4 episodes per series anyway )

I'm not sure whether putting it on Sundays at 9pm - with so much competition from Mr Selfridge and now Dragon's Den ) was a wise thing to do.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    It's been getting up over the 6 million mark for end of week ratings, so not bad- but certainly a big dip from the start of the series.
    I suppose that's the one good thing about Peter Capaldi going- series 2 will be almost a completely new slate- with a new villain to get to know.... They may be hoping they can attract viewers again. The more it falls, the more I'm surprised it got recommissioned- although it seems to be selling well abroad.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    ..How are they going to fill the big Peter Capaldi shaped hole for the next series?
    They could introduce Rochefort as the new lead antagonist, as he was Richelieu's main agent in the Dumas novels. Scenes with Capaldi could be filmed in advance for series 2 of Richelieu given orders to Rochefort i.e. pulling the strings in the background. All could be filmed in the UK in a few days I'm sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    It's been getting up over the 6 million mark for end of week ratings, so not bad- but certainly a big dip from the start of the series.
    I suppose that's the one good thing about Peter Capaldi going- series 2 will be almost a completely new slate- with a new villain to get to know.... They may be hoping they can attract viewers again. The more it falls, the more I'm surprised it got recommissioned- although it seems to be selling well abroad.

ITV's Mr Selfridge has just been recomissoned, despite overnight viewing figures falling to just 4.2 million one Sumday, though they were up again this week to 4.8 million. 6 million as an overall figure isn't too bad, though the BBC might want to look at airing series 2 on a different day of the week, when there's less competition from Mr Selfridge because both shows attract a high female audience I'm sure. If the current series of Mr Selfridge finishes before the Musketeers series final, it'll be interesting to see if viewing figures go up a touch. At any rate, I hope the final impresses.

I'm surprised the BBC don't repeat the show on a different day of the week anyway, they did this with Torchwood series 2.

And like you say, if the show is well received abroad ( it's already been bought by several countries ) the BBC will be pleased with that.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kat180 wrote: »
    It made sense that it was Porthas's week this week. However it feels extra dragged out to get to the main storyline because of the break, plus this was the least interesting of the episodes I think.

Possibly a totally stupid question, but is Howard Charles (Porthos) related to Craig Charles (Red Dwarf, etc)?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hmm...that was boring wasn't it. Yet again we have a recycling of previous plot elements e.g. an old friend from the past, an old flame from the past, a Musketeer being arrested and sentenced to death, a last minute reprieve, a threat to blow something up with gunpowder, the death of said 'friend' at the last minute, etc. etc.

It looks as good as ever, the actors are good enough (although the ratty-haired female in last night's episode was woeful), but the plots/scripts just aren't good enough.

The fuss made about Capaldi being in it seems like a red herring now as he's hardly in it at all!! There seems no point to him whatsoever at the moment. The trailer for next week shows more Richelieu involvement but we're already halfway through and he's leaving at the end of it.

I do wish there was a stronger story arc running through all the episodes. Characters seems to get dropped and forgotten about until it's convenient to pick them up again. There's no sense of danger or threat really.

I'd never think of not watching as I'm slightly obsessed with Santiago Cabrera's beautiful visage but that is slowly becoming one of the few highlights.
    saralund wrote: »
    I can't tell the difference between episodes. Mud, leather, swords, muskets, a flicker of Richelieu, the king always in the same outfit...every episode just seems to be a slight rearrangement of these elements. The scripts are pedestrian. You could bring in Ralph Fiennes and even he'd sound like a pantomime villain with lines like these.

I feel sorry for the actors. All they really get to do is look like male models in designer leather. No wonder Peter Capaldi was so thrilled to get the Who gig and the chance to speak all those witty lines.

Yes, it is getting dreadfully repetitive awfully quickly, isn't it? It looks as thought the writer only wrote about three episodes and that they're all going to be minor variations on the same few themes.

I understand there wil be one episode with a heretic condemned to be burned at the stake so she will no doubt be an old flame of one of the Musketeers and get saved. We'll probably get an anachronistic impromptu lesson about religious tolerance as well.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Possibly a totally stupid question, but is Howard Charles (Porthos) related to Craig Charles (Red Dwarf, etc)?

That has already been answered in one of the previous pages, no he isn't. :)
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire239 wrote: »
    That has already been answered in one of the previous pages, no he isn't. :)

Actually, what i came up with my little research and answered here is that he's not Craig Charles's son.
    There's still a possibility that he's related in another way (nephew or cousin) but i think it would have been mentionned. So not a good chance.

Of course, knowing Craig's attitude a bit, if he were asked if Howard is his son, he would probably answer 'not that i know of!'

Anyway, if Porthos finds his lost father, they have the perfect guy to play him :)
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Bump for Episode 6 ......
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Tara Fitzgerald's hair getting a mention in the credits tonight ?
    She's the ancestor of Jedward ?
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that was much superior to last week's total borefest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »

Totally agree. It was a very good episode in my opinion and I'm really enjoying this show. to the point that I hum the theme tune whenever its Sunday! :D

I'm so happy SC gets such a versatile character that shows off his acting skills. Finally! ^_^
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    Great episode in that Musketeer romp.

Have to agree about last week's wasted episode.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was one of the best eps yet :)

Capaldi also had some great scenes with Queen Marie.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, what i came up with my little research and answered here is that he's not Craig Charles's son.
    There's still a possibility that he's related in another way (nephew or cousin) but i think it would have been mentionned. So not a good chance.

Of course, knowing Craig's attitude a bit, if he were asked if Howard is his son, he would probably answer 'not that i know of!'

Anyway, if Porthos finds his lost father, they have the perfect guy to play him :)

I was thinking that too especially now Craig Charles has grown a beard, they look even more alike.

Great episode tonight, Louis was very comical when he ran upstairs like a petulant child and later on when he said "It's so unfair"
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »

Agreed. I loved it this week. Perhaps the best one so far. An interesting story, some good guest actors, and it had sentiment without being sentimental.

(And Santiago Cabrera gets more and more handsome with each passing episode, if such a thing were possible. He really is quite spectacularly good-looking.)
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. I loved it this week. Perhaps the best one so far. An interesting story, some good guest actors, and it had sentiment without being sentimental.

(And Santiago Cabrera gets more and more handsome with each passing episode, if such a thing were possible. He really is quite spectacularly good-looking.)

I'll agree with the good guest actors (am I right in thinking one was Marcus Crassus from Spartacus?!! If so, Kudos.)

BUT, predictable plot lacking in any intrigue let alone jeopardy. It was obvious who the baby was from pretty close to the start, obvious there would be a resolution letting mum and babe escape. As soon as baby went over the bridge it was totally obvious what happened.

The only thing that confused me was did Constance wet nurse the baby at all? If so how? T? F?

I defended the show at the start as a good old fashioned swash buckling romp. But it is starting to drag for me. I will give it to the end of the season as it has on average entertained and all four Musketeers are beyond gorgeous :D But it needs to go out on a bang to get me to watch season 2. Banshee it is not. Vikings it is not. GoT it is not. TWD it is not. Yet it has the potential with the material and actors to be something really good if they could get some good story lines and a half way decent script - the script being the main thing letting it down at the moment.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ No she didn't wet nurse the baby. She just starting opening her dress so it looked like she was about to, luckily the grandmother left at that point ;)

Nice to see her using some fighting skills too - though would have liked to have seen some scenes of D'Artagnan training her :)

I agree with other posters that it was a great episode this week, one of the best so far.
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from not being a mystery, it was very good.

This week's one liner 'he folds!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode last night :) certainly better than last week ( which bored me a little ) and Tara Fitzgerald was great in the role of Louis's mother. I must admit, I really like the actor who plays King Louix himself, though I think the whole show has been well cast.

Good to see the Cardinal finally being all 'twirly twirly moustache' because it's been lacking since he had Adelle executed. I never wanted 'Pantomine Cardinal' but he's been a little lacking in menace in recent episodes.

I'm ready for an Athos-centred episode next week, he's been a bit neglected since episode 3.

Was I the only one who thought the baby might really have died? I wasn't sure.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Great episode last night :) certainly better than last week ( which bored me a little ) and Tara Fitzgerald was great in the role of Louis's mother. I must admit, I really like the actor who plays King Louix himself, though I think the whole show has been well cast.

Good to see the Cardinal finally being all 'twirly twirly moustache' because it's been lacking since he had Adelle executed. I never wanted 'Pantomine Cardinal' but he's been a little lacking in menace in recent episodes.

I'm ready for an Athos-centred episode next week, he's been a bit neglected since episode 3.

For a moment there I did think *?* as Aramis was very convincing but I thought they wouldn't do that, would they? I just couldn't figure out how they did it I the very short time they had.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »

It seemed pretty obvious to me they'd pulled the old switcheroo, but maybe that's just me. Our heroes are meant to be, well, heroic after all - this is much more an old-fashioned A Team-style weekly romp than an angsty Homeland-style drama, after all.

A good episode this week, certainly much better than last week's. The writers are nicely layering in some of the political intrigue of 17th century France into the plots now, as well as giving us little character insights into each Musketeer. There's nothing excessively clever about the dialogue or plots, but there isn't supposed to be - it's meant to be nothing more than good fun, and that's exactly what it is.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndreaJx wrote: »
    Totally agree. It was a very good episode in my opinion and I'm really enjoying this show. to the point that I hum the theme tune whenever its Sunday! :D

I do a little dance! :D

Must be tough for the women on this show - None of them are prettier than D`Artagnan!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....this is much more an old-fashioned A Team-style weekly romp...

Complete with "Don`t you love it when a plan comes together" last night. Big smiles at that.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I was very concerned for the poor little tot - not at the bridge (that was an obvious switch) but when he was grabbed in the beginning and put in that ridiculous wooden 'cage'. The poor thing would have been thrown all over the place in that on the back of a horse!! O_O