Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    Patsey10Patsey10 Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Even Eric Cantona doesn't sound French in this

I just came on here to make a similar comment :)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey its a fight scene right out of 60's Batman.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blimey its a fight scene right out of 60's Batman.

I was half expecting to see a KAPOW on screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now a nasty Yorkshire Frenchman Dad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I am not a witch, they don't exist" that proves she is a witch.
    Blimey the Doctor's regenerating already.
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    I wonder if it's coincidence that it was International Women's Day yesterday with this episode timed perfectly to highlight sexism thinly disguised as heresy.

I heart Aramis for his profound understanding of feminism :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh arr Cantona.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll take a bit of tidying up. :D
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is the Cardinal going to get revenge on Aramis for sleeping with his mistress already? He seems to have totally forgot all about it (as have the writers).
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annabelle Wallis (Ninon) is the neice of Richard Harris I read.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this show!
  • Options
    OGBOGB Posts: 9,229
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    That'll take a bit of tidying up. :D

Totally worth it though...:blush:
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona isn't in this. The papal envoy is played by John Lynch.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this has ever been posted on this thread .....

Luke Pasqualino tells us the secrets behind the special effects

Funny ...... and dashingly handsome.;-):cool:
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode! This show gets better every week.

Just think of all the things they managed to cram into a single episode. Multiple assassinations, political intrigue, last minute stays of execution, courtroom drama, fight sequences, Milady and Richelieu's sizzling chemistry restored, the oppression of women through the perennial accusation of witchcraft, an absolutely wonderful character in the form of the Comtesse, Heaven vs. Hell: a life of service to ends greater than one's self vs. the pursuit of self-serving objectives, the insidiousness of organised religion vs. the solace to be found in personal faith, and Aramis, D'Artagnan and Constance made more loveable than ever.

There are so many shows that attempt to drag things out as if that automatically implies profundity, but I am loving the tight scripting and relentless pace of The Musketeers.
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    Don't know if this has ever been posted on this thread .....

Luke Pasqualino tells us the secrets behind the special effects

Funny ...... and dashingly handsome.;-):cool:

Very entertaining with Luke explaining the special effects with charm and humor. :)
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well well. And I was thinking there wouldn't be much D'Artagnan and Constance this week ;D
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Annabelle Wallis (Ninon) is the neice of Richard Harris I read.
    She looked Hot on the Stake.;-)
    "I am not a witch, they don't exist" that proves she is a witch.
    Blimey the Doctor's regenerating already.
    Don't you mean the Cardinal....he'll have to, for series two.:o
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good again.

Richelieu: 'God will be watching...and so will i'
    Before he said the second part, i thought he meant himself!
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night and I won't be watching it again. There is nothing realistic about it at all. The men all have beautifully styled hair and perfect teeth. I am not not going to even comment on the women.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another good episode this week, with the Cardinal actually doing stuff again and Milady being deliciously evil - though not directly killing anyone this week. I loved Athos's outburst at court over Milady and did think for a minute he was about to tell Aramis and Porthas about his ex-wife but of course they're saving the Athos / Milady / D'artagnan stuff for the series final.

I quite liked the bits involving Athos and the night's leading lady and generally liked the overall story but I hope next week onwards is now just preparation for the series final.

The last few minutes were a bit of a surprise :) Constance has probably been wanting to do that since episode 1 but D'artagnan's feelings have been more subtle and were definately a surprise. I'm pleased that next week appears to centre on him more, he's not had anything significant to do since episode 2 really and his current role within the Musketeers has never been clearly defined. It appears we're getting a D'artagnan / Cardinal scene too.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Judging by the trailer for next week, the Athos/Milady/D'Artagnan stuff is continued very fast (she has scenes with both of them). By the way, on the internet there are already promo photo's out for the last two episodes.
  • Options
    jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed last night's episode. A good storyline and nice and fast-paced. Glad there was more to do with Athos too. I can't seem to warm to Porthos at all and I think it's the fact that I just can't imagine a musketeer with a cockney-style accent!
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    A mixed bag of an episode for me. Some of it was enjoyable (Aramis) and it was great to see Capaldi getting more to do but, good lord, the cack-handed insertion of stale, 21st century gender politics was pretty woeful.

And I just don't like Constance at all. I don't like the character or the actress.
  • Options
    KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixed bag of an episode for me. Some of it was enjoyable (Aramis) and it was great to see Capaldi getting more to do but, good lord, the cack-handed insertion of stale, 21st century gender politics was pretty woeful.

And I just don't like Constance at all. I don't like the character or the actress.

The accusations of witchcraft and lesbianism to attack rebellious, educated women aren't exactly peculiar to the twenty-first century. Yet historically, everyone from Sappho to Hypatia to Mary Wollstonecraft faced those charges.

The tensions surrounding women's education and equality were very much a matter of the day. In the 17th century, the word preciosité came to be used as a pejorative against educated women who wrote poetry. Prominent authors like Poullain de la Barre were agitating for the equality of the sexes.

The character Comtesse de La Roque was probably partially inspired by the comtesse, Mme de La Fayette, one of the pioneers of the modern novel, who was also the maid of honour to Anne of Austria.