Are you just gossips?

candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
People who watch soaps are mixed......people watch them for various reasons.....as much as I like Eastenders, or Coronation street for example, I can't help notice that on this forum, the whole gamut of viewers show up. Some just browse and never comment. And some get stuck in as if the characters were real people. And of those, some really show their ugly side in how they judge each character in these shows.
My question is....what divides those who watch soaps for distraction, and those who watch it and then choose to make judgemental comments about both the characters and also the actors.

I'd guess they are the same people who make judgements on celebrities they've never met........and oh how fat, stupid, selfish, terrible this or that person is.

What a life...to judge....how ordinary. In a really, really bad sort of way.

Comments

• Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discussing a fictional stories and characters within them is perfectly natural.

Yes, soaps are generally TV filler and simple entertainment but it doesn't make them empty of any topic of discussion.

Do you also tell people who review books/movies etc to stop being judgemental? Do you tell academics who read and dissect Shakespeare that "it's not real"?

But you're really calling people out for being judgemental about fictional characters?
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People lay in judgement in life, there is no way of getting away from it, it's just a fact of life, everyone does it subconsciously or not.

I comment, debate and discuss a fictional show, I know it isn't real, I'm watching a written and plotted show play out planned and implemented by writers etc, it's entertainment and escapism for most, I've watched most of theses characters for years so yes maybe it does feel like you know them as if they was real so that allows you to discuss and debate about them and lay in judgement of them because they not going to answer back!

As for actors well I admit I'm guilty of judging talent and acting but as far I'm concern that is how far it goes, personal lives are of no interests to me, I judge on merits and as a viewer we are allowed that opinion as long as it doesn't get nasty and personal.

Wherever it's right or wrong again it's all a matter of opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I never judge people in real life, just their characters and acting skills. After all, characters in soaps are designed to come across are friendly, rude, annoying, loveable etc.. and we express what we think of them on here.

I actually stuck up for Kym Marsh earlier as people were slating her bad acting tonight, because I know she has lost a baby personally, she still has feelings and the scene must of been difficult to film.

The majority of DS members talk about soaps as if they're real, I honestly see no issue. It's fun :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging people for judging people :D

It's just human nature to have a bit of a gossip and a chinwag

Most people on here are friendly .

It's the Hollyoaks fans who you have to watch out for :eek: :p
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the world of fiction where fans regularly judge the positive/negative behaviours of fictional characters. That's the great thing about fiction - you are able to judge people who you normally wouldn't judge in real life ;). I don't really see what the problem is?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something tells me the OP will not return to this discussion. ;)

Hit and run. :eek:
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Something tells me the OP will not return to this discussion. ;)

Hit and run. :eek:
    I'm here. Just curious.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand getting involved in the fiction...but when people mix the fiction up with the actors and their lives....I find it pretty pathetic how involved some fans get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who on this forum mixes the fiction up with reality when talking about the actors?
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a gossip. I just like to talk about stories and characters. Dunno bout that Joe Del though. I heard he's a right nudge nudge wink wink know worr I mean. ;)
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you know me I'm not one to gossip....

I will say one thing, you're on a soap forum. We're judging, commenting, analysing, rejoining, raging, passionate. For many I think this the one place we can do that.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny, I went for a pint with Phil Mitchell the other day and we had the exact same conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    It's funny, I went for a pint with Phil Mitchell the other day and we had the exact same conversation.

I don't like to gloat but I had a post-sex chat with Phelan about this a couple of hours ago.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

He told me you were a lightweight who couldn't hold your J2O Apple and Mango.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess they are the same people who make judgements on celebrities they've never met........and oh how fat, stupid, selfish, terrible this or that person is.

Many moons ago she used to sing. Now she's a professional panel show contestant, only, she's not a comedian, or a writer, or a journalist or anything. I sigh everytime I know she's on a show and I wonder....what on earth is the point of her? Miffed. :confused:

I'd have some respect for her if she actually had a job description, even if that means going back to making mediocre music. :cool:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1899065
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1873962

Make sure your own house is in order before trying to clean others OP. Case closed. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »

Make sure your own house is in order before trying to clean others OP. Case closed. ;-)

Ohhhh BOOM! Owned!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I'm not a gossip. I just like to talk about stories and characters. Dunno bout that Joe Del though. I heard he's a right nudge nudge wink wink know worr I mean. ;)

:o
    Zack06 wrote: »

Oh dear
    What a life...to judge....to judge a loose woman. In a really, really bad sort of way.

A 5 letter word is springing to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who watch soaps are mixed......people watch them for various reasons.....as much as I like Eastenders, or Coronation street for example, I can't help notice that on this forum, the whole gamut of viewers show up. Some just browse and never comment. And some get stuck in as if the characters were real people. And of those, some really show their ugly side in how they judge each character in these shows.
    My question is....what divides those who watch soaps for distraction, and those who watch it and then choose to make judgemental comments about both the characters and also the actors.

Had to be you didn't it?

This ban was a long time coming. I hope you never darken this forum ever again. Good riddance.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o

Oh dear
    What a life...to judge....to judge a loose woman. In a really, really bad sort of way.

A 5 letter word is springing to mind.
    I can only think of a 4 letter one. :confused: Let's play Charades! How many syllables? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I can only think of a 4 letter one. :confused: Let's play Charades! How many syllables? :)

:D T _ _ _ L
  • Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D T _ _ _ L

That's hangman... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush: Getting my parlour games muddled.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double standards from the OP, eh? Indeed what a life... to judge. Good detective work from Zack :D.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Yep
    I judge s/ls
    I judge characters
    I judge the actors and
    I judge the writers

.....and not just the Soaps. Pretty much everything I watch, from films to sit coms.

Shocking isn't it. ;-):kitty:
  • Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :blush: Getting my parlour games muddled.

Still can't work it out though...

No wonder my old Nan used to whip my arse at Hangman... :(