Options

How dark is the Dean/Linda storyline going to go?

Comments

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I hope he wasn't raped in jail, a lot of things happen it jail, it doesn't always have to come back to rape. I don't know why this forum is obsessed with characters raping others or characters being raped...it's shocking and a bit...you know?:confused::o

It's been implied a lot. This is one time that I think posters are right with this subject.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he wasn't raped in jail, a lot of things happen it jail, it doesn't always have to come back to rape. I don't know why this forum is obsessed with characters raping others or characters being raped...it's shocking and a bit...you know?:confused::o

I think something of the kind WAS supposed to have happened to him wasn't it?
    I remember when he first came out of jail, years ago, Shirley asked him what had happened to him while he was inside and he just said, very ominously, "Everything!....."
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    It's been implied, I just hope it isn't the case, It probably will be. It's just people seem to obsessed enough with the topic as it is!
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the story Dean told about his previous girlfriend is foreshadowing ...

Linda will reject him, he will drug her, tie her to his barber's chair and shave her head in revenge.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It's been implied a lot. This is one time that I think posters are right with this subject.

I agree. There is a lot of talk about rape on DS, most of which has very little root cause to back it up in screen but Dean having been rapeed in prison has been very clearly implied (although not explicitly stated) on screen several time - both before he left in 2008 and when he first got back this year so posters are just discussing a legitimate part of the plot and character here.

I do think it could go as far as Dean raping Linda (though I hope it doesn(). Despit his good looks, Dean was never especially successful with women (Chelsea never wanted him, this girlfriend that cheated on him) and that along with his feelings about Shirley plus what happened in Prison (rape or not it has clearly damaged him) seems to have given him a very dark mindset and attitude to women so it's possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    Perhaps the story Dean told about his previous girlfriend is foreshadowing ...

Linda will reject him, he will drug her, tie her to his barber's chair and shave her head in revenge.

Haha. That's brilliant.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Also, even baack when he was nice he spiked Dtscey's drink so help her have ' a good time'. No he didn't rape her and i'm sure never intended to but it was a very dodgy thing to do morally.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the rape obsessives are out in force again:confused::confused:
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »

I do think it could go as far as Dean raping Linda (though I hope it doesn(). Despit his good looks, Dean was never especially successful with women (Chelsea never wanted him, this girlfriend that cheated on him) and that along with his feelings about Shirley plus what happened in Prison (rape or not it has clearly damaged him) seems to have given him a very dark mindset and attitude to women so it's possible.

I agree. I think it's very clever to characterise someone as obviously good looking as Dean in this way. It's that idea that women are able to sense something is not quite right about him even though he's good looking and well spoken and quite charming. There was that slightly odd scene in Tuesday's episode where Whitney and Nancy were discussing whether he was a '10' or not, and Whitney seemed hesitant. I can see Dean gradually growing a real resentment towards women as this storyline goes on. I don't personally feel he's capable of rape, but extreme loathing and bitterness towards a woman, I think he's more than likely to display that at some point.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obsession but from Deans point of view - if that makes sense

he has already said he wishes she was mum - would he really rape someone he wishes were his mum...........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »

he has already said he wishes she was mum - would he really rape someone he wishes were his mum...........

Agreed. Don't go putting that idea out, next will be the suggestion of him raping or hurting his real mum and then maybe he may go for Mick too. He will be the new Derek...sorry I just can't get over the alarming amount of potential rape threads I've read since joining DS.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well considering he's touching her inappropriately at the Blades photoshoot next week, I think we're in for a whole heap of weird creepy Oedipal vibes when it comes to Dean's feelings for Linda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This storyline, whatever happens, is so interesting. I hope it will focus more on Dean's state of mind than Linda - I hope Linda is just being used in the storyline to emphasise how messed up Dean is.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the rape obsessives are out in force again:confused::confused:

At least this time it appears the story might be heading in that direction.

I personally hope this is what happens purely because Kellie Bright will show everyone what an amazing actress she is and up until now she has been very underused at the expense of the other family members. Perhaps for this very reason.

I'm not too bothered about what happens to Dean. I always thought he was here for one story and one story alone. I'm finding it hard to sympathise with him anyway but if he rapes her then I won't be interested in him at all. I mean
    he gropes her week which is already a big no no
    So he has issues that are unhealthy.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Don't go putting that idea out, next will be the suggestion of him raping or hurting his real mum and then maybe he may go for Mick too. He will be the new Derek...sorry I just can't get over the alarming amount of potential rape threads I've read since joining DS.

agreed :confused: another one has just been started - is Lee raping Lucy on the night she died the secret he is hiding
  • Options
    Forum Member
    agreed :confused: another one has just been started - is Lee raping Lucy on the night she died the secret he is hiding

Seriously? :o I wish someone would explain where this rape obsession has come from, slightly concerning!
  • Options
    when0in0romewhen0in0rome Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Seriously? :o I wish someone would explain where this rape obsession has come from, slightly concerning!

I think it's because it's one of soaps last real tabboos... The last rape on the soaps I watch was Carla, and I thought the aftermath of that was handled pretty poorly.

As much as I don't want rape to happen on soaps every week, and I certainly don't tune into soaps to see horrific story lines for the sake of it... We have a serial killer a year at this point, murders galore and constant thefts and assaults. Rape is still a really serious problem in this country in terms of justice - the prosecution rate is frankly disgusting, but soaps just don't really handle it all that well.

If they do go down this route, I really hope they handle it respectfully, honestly and with some proper thought for aftermath and not just for the 'shock factor' ratings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those scenes tonight were very creepy. Poor Linda.
  • Options
    JoshyxJoshyx Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    He will be converted to Islam after Billy Mitchell soon to be known as Imam Mohammed Rahman seeks to save him from being a prat.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I agree. I think it's very clever to characterise someone as obviously good looking as Dean in this way. It's that idea that women are able to sense something is not quite right about him even though he's good looking and well spoken and quite charming. There was that slightly odd scene in Tuesday's episode where Whitney and Nancy were discussing whether he was a '10' or not, and Whitney seemed hesitant. I can see Dean gradually growing a real resentment towards women as this storyline goes on. I don't personally feel he's capable of rape, but extreme loathing and bitterness towards a woman, I think he's more than likely to display that at some point.

That would be more interesting than a rape which I feel soaps just do for morbid shock value. On a related note I hate that EE had 4 Slater girls raped or sexually manipulated - just way too much.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the only storyline I am interested on EE at the moment but I don't think it will go as far as him raping her. EE has had far too much of that in the past, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Dean's expressions and the way the camera always looks at Dean's reaction, I think this storyline is more to do with his mental state. I can see him heading towards of breakdown.
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking rape too. Consensus seems to be that the whole Janine/Kat/Stacey thing was done to get the show's leading ladies involved in the same storyline. What better way to do it again than have Linda raped and Kat and Stacey brought in because of their experiences. Kat even more so if Linda gets pregnant.

Shirley could believe that Dean wouldn't do something like that because she doesn't like Linda, or choose to side with Dean as she thinks he's the only son that she has a chance of reconciling with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    WafcSean wrote: »
    Perhaps the whole "Linda wants another baby thing" could in some way foreshadow Linda becoming pregnant again. However, unfortunately following her being raped by Dean.

I'm not quite sure whether EastEnders would go down that route though. It's incredibly dark, and would be very difficult to watch.

Your right about it being dark.. but I hope they do.. its something new.. different.. even though little mo had the same thing.. but it would be a lot different because dean is a family member.. but would be realistic because most sexual assaults are someone known to the victim.. infact I don't think iv seen a soap do this before.. really think it would help ee get back on top.. Oh I hope this happends would be fantastic ee would pull it of
  • Options
    loopilouloopilou Posts: 711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is I feel deans attraction is purely stemming from the fact Linda is the mum he never had . I have a feeling she will tell mick about the bottom grabbing and it will be laughed of by him therefore linda will feel she is being silly .