Options

Dean Wicks the villain.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
Forum Member
When I found out that Deano was coming back, I wasn't really sure because I found him a bit annoying. Now, I think he is one of the best characters in the show and strikingly resembles Michael Moon. Matt di Angelo, like Steve John Shepherd, is an excellent actor (I think killing off Michael was a bad decision) but the character is almost as f*cked up and as eerie as Michael. I actually think that Dean has the capacity of becoming a proper villain (in fact every great EastEnders family has to have a villain in their ranks) because of the qualities that he shares with Michael. Perhaps he abuses Linda or something (or even blackmails her)? Maybe Sean Slater should return so that Dean could kill him? I want to see him go a bit mad not to soften because of Shirley. Also, he should change his name to Carter to impress his grandfather and win the Carter family's loyalty before throwing it back in their faces.

Comments

• Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt is AWFUL! he isn't fit to lick Steve John Shepherds boots. If staring into space and rolling your eyes every two minutes qualifies as good acting then Matt has it nailed.

I think people only excuse Matt's flaws because he is good looking. if he was ugly no one would be saying he was excellent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt is AWFUL! he isn't fit to lick Steve John Shepherds boots. If staring into space and rolling your eyes every two minutes qualifies as good acting then Matt has it nailed.

I think people only excuse Matt's flaws because he is good looking. if he was ugly no one would be saying he was excellent.

No, he's not. He is a fine actor because he puts different layers to his character and there are elements of Steve John Shepherd's Michael Moon in his portrayal of Dean. Sexual tension with Linda, hate for Shirley, longing for Shirley, the way he is around his cousins (nephew and nieces), way he is with Stan. You have the man, the little boy, the angry man, the joker - all packed into one. He has the capacity to be the next Michael - I want him to be that.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aunt_Babe wrote: »
    When I found out that Deano was coming back, I wasn't really sure because I found him a bit annoying. Now, I think he is one of the best characters in the show and strikingly resembles Michael Moon. Matt di Angelo, like Steve John Shepherd, is an excellent actor (I think killing off Michael was a bad decision) but the character is almost as f*cked up and as eerie as Michael. I actually think that Dean has the capacity of becoming a proper villain (in fact every great EastEnders family has to have a villain in their ranks) because of the qualities that he shares with Michael. Perhaps he abuses Linda or something (or even blackmails her)? Maybe Sean Slater should return so that Dean could kill him? I want to see him go a bit mad not to soften because of Shirley. Also, he should change his name to Carter to impress his grandfather and win the Carter family's loyalty before throwing it back in their faces.

I think Dean is being built up to be a villain - there are rather a lack of them in EE at the mo.
    They're clearly building up a situation where there's a "good" Carter bruv & a "bad" Carter bruv.
    I think Dean will become more obviously villainous over time- he's been ambiguous up to recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    I think Dean is being built up to be a villain - there are rather a lack of them in EE at the mo.
    They're clearly building up a situation where there's a "good" Carter bruv & a "bad" Carter bruv.
    I think Dean will become more obviously villainous over time- he's been ambiguous up to recently.
    I agree but he will be a Michael/Ronnie villain rather than an out and out villain but a villain nonetheless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I fall somewhere in the middle. I thought his "hug" scene with Linda was excellently played, but I think some of the scenes with him scowling at his Mum are weak.
    Matt is an actor who can be a bit inconsistent occasionally - but happily (IMO) the good acting outweighs the bad.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aunt_Babe wrote: »
    No, he's not. He is a fine actor because he puts different layers to his character and there are elements of Steve John Shepherd's Michael Moon in his portrayal of Dean. Sexual tension with Linda, hate for Shirley, longing for Shirley, the way he is around his cousins (nephew and nieces), way he is with Stan. You have the man, the little boy, the angry man, the joker - all packed into one. He has the capacity to be the next Michael - I want him to be that.

Sorry don't see it. Matt makes me cringe and if Dean sexually assaults Linda as I have always thought this would lead to then there is no way back for his character. Michael was a psycho which is a mental illness. Dean is just vile for viles sake. Kevin raised him good. Dean was a happy guy when he first joined the show. He only went bitter after being sent to prison and that had nothing to do with Shirley's failings as a mother. It was Chelsea's fault.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member

Bib: This is exactly what i'm thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry don't see it. Matt makes me cringe and if Dean sexually assaults Linda as I have always thought this would lead to then there is no way back for his character. Michael was a psycho which is a mental illness. Dean is just vile for viles sake. Kevin raised him good. Dean was a happy guy when he first joined the show. He only went bitter after being sent to prison and that had nothing to do with Shirley's failings as a mother. It was Chelsea's fault.

I agree he's just vile- but the character change doesn't bother me. The character has changed over the years- and not for the better. This can be consistent with real life so Im not concerned by the personality changes.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find Matt's acting a bit inconsistent but I think they've got it spot on taking him down the more villainous route, as he has that slightly unearthly beauty about him that makes him come across as even more sinister. The fact that he was clearly psychologically damaged by his time in prison, and we're now starting to get hints that he always had a bit of a dark side (the story he told about shaving off his girlfriend's hair and his flippant "I'm a terrible person, aren't I?" at the end as evidence of that) means that he has the potential to go as dark as the storyliners want to take him. The possibilities are endless here.

It strikes me as interesting that Stan originally seemed to be brought in to manipulate and potentially destroy the close relationships between the Carters, but he's now being presented as a figure who is a bit abrasive at times but genuinely seems to want the best for his family. I think the shift in his characterisation is because they decided that Dean was going to be the one to really f**k with the Carters. Dean's obsession with Linda is probably just the tip of the iceberg; they're already positioning Nancy as someone becoming increasingly aware of Dean's issues, and I think she'll become more involved in some way as well over the coming weeks.

It also seemed very telling to me that Dean got very hung up on that photo of the Carters, and this idea of them being the "perfect family". The common response to someone with a borderline sociopathic personality who wants something they can't have is to destroy it. I predict very dark times ahead for the Carters at the hands of Dean, and I actually can't wait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the contrast between Matt's obvious beauty & Deans sinister personality is a fantastic juxtaposition ( long word at this time of day)
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can't act OP, but the funny thing is I do like him.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think the opposite. People are more dismissive of him because he is good looking, they overlook when he's been good.

I thought he nailed it last night personally. He was really sinister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the contrast between Matt's obvious beauty & Deans sinister personality is a fantastic juxtaposition ( long word at this time of day)
    It's almost Gothic in a way. He's handsome, young and charming but he is clearly messed up. So many layers to him and the way Matt di Angelo plays him is very good. I'm undecided about Stan. He could be a villain but he could be a nice granddad but he certainly has managed to successfully worm his way back into the Carters. I can't wait until we see more of Babe and Sylvie. I suspect he's going to die soon as well.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the way Matt's playing Dean is very good. I can't wait to see what is going to happen.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are shades of Michael Moon there I agree as they both had "mummy issues". Michael was deeply disturbed, but I hope Dean won't end up as twisted. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for him.

Linda is playing a blinder in her scenes with him - you can feel how devastated she is by his rejection along with her certainty that it is all her fault. I think a lot of it is her fault but I also think Dean is being a right so and so in his cruel treatment of her.

I know it is "only" a soap but when you see the damage done to children by their mothers (Shirley to Dean and Carly; Michael's mother to him; Pat to David and Wicksy) you realise how important a job it is. I know that as a mother it frightens the life out of me!!
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrendously poor actor.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    villian, lmao its just one massive heap of self pity not convincingly portrayed either. Face like a slapped arse stood in the corner holding a pint snarling at his feckless mother. Its old already.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    never liked the character of Dean Wicks and Im not fussed on the actor either, when he is scowling and trying to act mean or hard or villinous I just cannot take him seriously, I find him quite comedic (and not in a good way)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like him but am waiting to see where they go with him
  • Options
    Forum Member
    olivej wrote: »
    never liked the character of Dean Wicks and Im not fussed on the actor either, when he is scowling and trying to act mean or hard or villinous I just cannot take him seriously, I find him quite comedic (and not in a good way)
    Really? Most people seem to like Dean.
  • Options
    celiajacobsceliajacobs Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Matt said in an interview that he had questioned parts of his storyline with dtc because he saw them as unrealistic for dean's character, and dtc basically told him that unless he wanted to be a boring, happy character he would have to stick to what had been written. Making me think even more that dean is going to take a villainous turn unfortunately.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Matt's objection, it sounds as though he will stay long term. Surely if Matt knew he was coming in for a certain story, he would have been fine with it? Also, if DTC could have changed it if Matt didn't want to do the storyline, that also makes me think that he isn't going to leave once this storyline is over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There are shades of Michael Moon there I agree as they both had "mummy issues". Michael was deeply disturbed, but I hope Dean won't end up as twisted. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for him.

Linda is playing a blinder in her scenes with him - you can feel how devastated she is by his rejection along with her certainty that it is all her fault. I think a lot of it is her fault but I also think Dean is being a right so and so in his cruel treatment of her.

I know it is "only" a soap but when you see the damage done to children by their mothers (Shirley to Dean and Carly; Michael's mother to him; Pat to David and Wicksy) you realise how important a job it is. I know that as a mother it frightens the life out of me!!

I agree.