Options

Jean Slater exit?

Loud & ProudLoud & Proud Posts: 79
Forum Member
Just looked at todays Sun and Gillian Wright is at the funeral for Kat's baby. She must be still on screen well into the New Year.

I hope she returns in the future. It seems like such a waste getting rid of her. Jean is one of my favourite EE characters.

Comments

• Options
    Kat_SlaterKat_Slater Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Well EE extended Derek Martins contract despite his axing so I think they must have done the same with Gillian. I know Gillian is in panto this year. Quite a lot of the EE cast are which is very strange. I've never known so many do this at the same time before. Apparently, I read it on Facebook from someone who was there, Bryan spoke of Gillian at the Mind awards and his choice of words made it sound like she isn't leaving now as he has plans? Nothing has been announced however so who knows but I hope she is returning after her break..
  • Options
    simonipswichsimonipswich Posts: 1,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope she doesn't leave... I like Jean she's turned her life around with working on the market stall and I love her Sausage Surprise! Just what is the surprise? No sausage maybe?!
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she doesn't leave... I like Jean she's turned her life around with working on the market stall and I love her Sausage Surprise! Just what is the surprise? No sausage maybe?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81LZVgzxY2A :D:o
  • Options
    BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want Jean to leave, really like her character :(
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Why did she have to go just because Stacey has anyway? Big Mo and Charlie stayed when all their original family left.
  • Options
    Dani MDani M Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I agree. It makes no sense getting rid of her. Hope Bryan talking about plans for the character is true. Maybe they gave her a reprise because of her popularity? it has happened before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's easily one of the best actresses and characters - losing her would be a big mistake.
  • Options
    Nicola2809Nicola2809 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    I think that Jean has great potential. With Stacey gone, it would open up doors to see her as a woman and not just a mother figure. As much as I love stacey I do feel justice should be done for Archie's murder otherwise Bradleys name will be tarnished forever and Ronnie and Roxy will never know the truth. It would also leave the door open for some great storylines, who gets custody of Lily, Ryan coping with fatherhood etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Gillian Wright is truely an amazing actress, can people rember how different the character was when first introduced to the soap? Certainly not the bubbley, scatty loveable women that Gillain portrays today! If I remeber rightly ithose first scenes between Stacey and Jean were all quite dark!!!
  • Options
    ghettoBLASTER!ghettoBLASTER! Posts: 5,220
    Forum Member
    No one seems happy to see Jean leave and it wasn't Gillian's choice as Dan Wooten tweeted she was axed when they first revealed Jean and Stacey were leaving. I really hope they have reconsidered. I know Gillian is taking some time out of EE to star in panto but there is no reason why she can't return again in the Spring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    As the previous poster says, Gillian Wright portrays the character of Jean brilliantly. As someone who has suffered with mental health issues, her portrayal touches home many times.
    The early scenes with Stacey were very dark. I remember when Stacey was cleaning Jean in the bath, it always stuck with me......... clever writing then, when that girl ( cant remember her name!) threw Bradleys ashes over Stacey ..... Jean took her away to clean her.
    I think they will be making a big mistake if she does leave Eastenders.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her axing was definitely unnecessary. Jean could survive in the show without Stacey. It could actually be the making of her, she could become a proper character in her own right, rather than just "Stacey's mad mum" and the creator of "sausage surprise!"
  • Options
    kushtiimayteekushtiimaytee Posts: 9,732
    Forum Member

Agreed
    and :D:D
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Her axing was definitely unnecessary. Jean could survive in the show without Stacey. It could actually be the making of her, she could become a proper character in her own right, rather than just "Stacey's mad mum" and the creator of "sausage surprise!"

When those axings were first announced there was alot of guff posted on here about how Jean wouldnt survive without Stacey and how she didnt have a reason to stay - Its all down to the writers- to give her a reason to stay! Simple really.... And if Jeans moved to be near Stacey, (I cant remember the reason she ended up in the square), maybe theres nothing left for her elsewhere? All supposition, but characters/storylines are only as good as the writer.
  • Options
    Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope Jean returns at some point because I will be so sad to see her leave. Gillian is a great actress too. I could actually see Jean becoming a long-term character, if she was kept around, and a future veteran like Dot is now. The show will need these types of characters in the future after all.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read that she is now staying. :)
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    I just read that she is now staying. :)

hope it wasn't the walford gazette- terribly unreliable paper :D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More sausage surprises to come in 2011!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So she leaves and then returns in Spring! I'm glad she has been brought back as she has played a key part in Eastenders winning their latest award. Do we know if she is leaves with Stacey?