Options

Question for vegetarians...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was one of these 'freaky eaters' when I was a child and wouldn't eat a lot of food, I refused to eat any meat at all. Now I'm an adult, I still can't eat it as it makes me heave and I don't like the taste at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I don't like the taste of meat, never have, even as a child.

That...and the treatment of animals as well for me.

There`s plenty of "vegetarian" stuff I can`t stand either, seem to be getting worse as I get older not better - had a phase several years ago when i would eat lots of things but now just feel like I shouldn`t have to suffer if I don`t need to :)
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife becanme a vegetarian at the age of 14 because of animal cruelty, particularly the export of live animals to the continent for slaughter.

Meanwhile I happily ate anything (within reason).

When I married her we compromised and I gave up meat but wouldn't give up fish (I'm a coastal boy and have always preferred fish to meat anyway).

So I'm a vegetarian (well pescatarian) for love :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I applaud you vegetarians for sticking to your principles, I am an animal lover but like meat too much to give it up and don't like enough veggy food.

I would prefer not to know someone is a veggy or why they are. A veggy I sit close to in work manages to drop it into the conversation every week that she's a veggy :yawn: And she eats fish, so the next time she says it, I'm going to correct her and say she's not a vegetarian but a pescatarian! It's the veggies who think they are special cases who mention it all the time that I do my head in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nether the wife or I are the preachy type or looking to force our views on others. Our two children eat meat when not at home (our youngest loves bacon), and I've cooked Christmas dinner for years at the in-laws including preparing turkey, ham or pork for everyone else to eat.

The only thing that does rile my wife is if anyone we are with considered ordering veal, then she gets very disapproving :mad:

PS - Amusing the description of "pescatarian" is sometimes replaced with "psuedo-vegetrian" which of course means "false or fake". A more suitable desciption of your work colleague perhaps :D
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people are irritating because they're irritating (those that are which is probably most of us at some time). It's not caused by being vegetarian.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    How many of you vegetarians wear leather, silk, wool or any other animal derived products? Do you refuse to eat or use certain products because they contain cochineal?

Not me, and yes to that and gelatine. Although I suppose that's more Veganism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach and kimindex you right on both counts!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, i'm not a vegetarian. I don't feel bad about eating meat, I like the taste of meat etc...

However I understand and accept the view of vegetarians. What many of you are describing in your confrontations with meat-eaters is a degree of the "Nirvana Fallacy" which many people are guilty of.

"You are a Vegetarian because you like animals? Well, how come you wear leather/ drink milk/ walk across grass etc..." Just because somebody who is attempting to do good, does not achieve perfection in the pursuit of that good, they are frowned upon. You see it all the time, "You are having a DIET coke with your kebab? Like that will make a difference".

It even affects political views. You may support a particular political party, as in general, you agree with most of their policies. However, when you are interrogated as to why you support that particular party, they bring up obscure policies, or decisions made by that party decades ago.

If you make a decision to do good, but you don't achieve complete perfection, then somebody who attempts to do nothing takes the moral high ground, as if they are better for not attempting anything at all.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Gawge wrote: »
    Personally, i'm not a vegetarian. I don't feel bad about eating meat, I like the taste of meat etc...

However I understand and accept the view of vegetarians. What many of you are describing in your confrontations with meat-eaters is a degree of the "Nirvana Fallacy" which many people are guilty of.

"You are a Vegetarian because you like animals? Well, how come you wear leather/ drink milk/ walk across grass etc..." Just because somebody who is attempting to do good, does not achieve perfection in the pursuit of that good, they are frowned upon. You see it all the time, "You are having a DIET coke with your kebab? Like that will make a difference".

It even affects political views. You may support a particular political party, as in general, you agree with most of their policies. However, when you are interrogated as to why you support that particular party, they bring up obscure policies, or decisions made by that party decades ago.

If you make a decision to do good, but you don't achieve complete perfection, then somebody who attempts to do nothing takes the moral high ground, as if they are better for not attempting anything at all.

Who ever achieves complete perfection in anything they do?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    Who ever achieves complete perfection in anything they do?

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, that sums it up!
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

Negates the 'moral high ground' part of your post then, no? If nobody ever achieves complete perfection.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up meat in the late 1980s when I was pregnant with Son No 1. Not cruelty issues - surprising for me - but because I'd randomly read summat about the dodgy chemical residues from antibiotics, hormones and god knows what in the meat. That when you eat meat this rubbish ends up in your bloodstream - not great for a foetus.

Once I gave it up, I felt sick just walking past a butcher's (the smell somehow is heightened to you when you stop eating it).

Then later I read about the cruelty issues.

My kids' old school was next door to an abbatoir and the lorries that go there drive past my house all the time. That was an education, too. (Truckloads of animals screaming in sheer terror as they turn into the road was a bit of a shock). I've chatted to farmers too, who tell me the cows definitely know what's up when they're going. I'd imagine their bloodstreams are coursing with adrehaline as well as all the veterinary chemicals and weird hormones put in their food, by the time they're slaughtered. From a health point of view, why would I put that in my body?

So lots of reasons but it started off just being pregnant, being concerned for my baby, and reading one article in a newspaper.

I should say the baby is now a taller than me final year university student who loves steak and lamb and pork chops when he comes home in vacations.:o

I should add I don't evangelise although as I cook daily for meat eaters I do whine loudly when I'm forced to touch or handle raw meat in cooking because it's like asking them to lovingly make me fritters from corpses.:D Imagine handling something that repels you, day in day out. Not fun.

Outside I say nothing to no-one. My brother and his family are very old fashioned, and as a veggie I get endless lectures on the joys of meat, and little 'jokes' where they attempt to put something containing meat onto my plate, etc etc. This has gone on decades. It is not funny. It is boring.

Also at events I've gone to, you dread people knowing you're a veggie - because it does attract lengthy lectures fro meat-eaters (usually 15 stone meat eaters telling you how healthy they are). In the past doing living history events, I've had people go to a lot of trouble to cook separately for me which is appreciated but then what happens is the meat-eaters swoop on the veggie food, eat it then move onto the meat leaving the couple of veggies with nothing.:D Also, some meat eaters who cook specially for you like you to know all about it, in great depth, then try and screw praise out of you nonstop. Which ruins the meal.:D You can't eat it because you're permanently expected to say how great it is to the point it's gone cold by the time you start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see vegetarian more as a diet choice and vegan more as a lifestyle choice which is why I don't understand directing questions about leather and wool a vegetarians when it's more of a vegan matter.
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I was for several years.

My main reason at the time was just because I used to think too much about what I was eating whilst I was eating it. I'd put a piece of chicken in my mouth and immediately start thinking about it being the breast muscle of an actual dead chicken, then I'd start thinking about gross things animals do, how the animal was slaughtered, etc. until eventually I couldn't bring myself to chew it and had to spit it out.

I started eating meat again a couple of years ago and still can't bring myself to chew it much before swallowing it, or think about the animal it came from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I gave up meat in the late 1980s when I was pregnant with Son No 1. Not cruelty issues - surprising for me - but because I'd randomly read summat about the dodgy chemical residues from antibiotics, hormones and god knows what in the meat. That when you eat meat this rubbish ends up in your bloodstream - not great for a foetus.

Once I gave it up, I felt sick just walking past a butcher's (the smell somehow is heightened to you when you stop eating it).

My kids' old school was next door to an abbatoir and the lorries that go there drive past my house all the time. That was an education, too. (Truckloads of animals screaming in sheer terror as they turn into the road was a bit of a shock). I've chatted to farmers too, who tell me the cows definitely know what's up when they're going. I'd imagine their bloodstreams are coursing with adrehaline as well as all the veterinary chemicals and weird hormones put in their food, by the time they're slaughtered. From a health point of view, why would I put that in my body?

So lots of reasons but it started off just being pregnant, being concerned for my baby, and reading one article in a newspaper.

I should say the baby is now a taller than me final year university student who loves steak and lamb and pork chops when he comes home in vacations.:o

I should add I don't evangelise although as I cook daily for meat eaters I do whine loudly when I'm forced to touch or handle raw meat in cooking because it's like asking them to lovingly make me fritters from corpses.:D Imagine handling something that repels you, day in day out. Not fun.

Outside I say nothing to no-one. My brother and his family are very old fashioned, and as a veggie I get endless lectures on the joys of meat, and little 'jokes' where they attempt to put something containing meat onto my plate, etc etc. This has gone on decades. It is not funny. It is boring.

Also at events I've gone to, you dread people knowing you're a veggie - because it does attract lengthy lectures fro meat-eaters (usually 15 stone meat eaters telling you how healthy they are). In the past doing living history events, I've had people go to a lot of trouble to cook separately for me which is appreciated but then what happens is the meat-eaters swoop on the veggie food, eat it then move onto the meat leaving the couple of veggies with nothing.:D Also, some meat eaters who cook specially for you like you to know all about it, in great depth, then try and screw praise out of you nonstop. Which ruins the meal.:D You can't eat it because you're permanently expected to say how great it is to the point it's gone cold by the time you start.
    You must have had people wanting mixed starters at restaurants, seemingly oblivious that you can't eat the meat ones.

And the ones that say it doesn't matter that the restaurant doesn't have much vegetarian food because vegetarians aren't really interested in food, anyway.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, some meat eaters who cook specially for you like you to know all about it, in great depth, then try and screw praise out of you nonstop. Which ruins the meal.:D You can't eat it because you're permanently expected to say how great it is to the point it's gone cold by the time you start.

As an omnivore myself I'd estimate that at least half of my meals are vegetarian anyway so if I'm having people round for dinner and any of them are vegetarian I don't tend to cook something different for them, we just all eat veggie. No big deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    And the ones that say it doesn't matter that the restaurant doesn't have much vegetarian food because vegetarians aren't really interested in food, anyway.
    We once went out to eat with a couple of friends who suggested a local pub which did nice curries (they had been before). We turned up, sat at a table, had some drinks and then after a short wait dishes started appearing.

We were a little surprised and pointed out that we hadn't actually ordered yet, or indeed even seen a menu, to which the lady replied "Oh we used to let people choose their dishes but it got too much so we have a set menu now". Oh, nice of her to inform us after the event. So we asked what the dishes were and basically one dish out of the four was vegetarian (and of course rice as well). :rolleyes: When we pointed out the problem she seemed rather put out but finally provided an extra dish of the vegetarian one, so we had one dish to go with the rice whilst our friends had four.

I have to say though that it is much better now than it was 20 years ago, then you basically ended up with a vegetable lasagne if you were lucky. Now even the local greasy spoon cafe does a vegetarian fry up with vege-sausages (whether they are cooked in the same pan as actual sausages I cannot say).

Of course French Restaurants (and for that matter France) still refuse to acknowledge that vegetarians exist :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    You must have had people wanting mixed starters at restaurants, seemingly oblivious that you can't eat the meat ones.

A carefully prepared vegetarian meal - with chicken gravy on - has happened more than once.:D Casually offered sweets with gelatine in, or covered cakes with them then saying "Oh you're alright, you can just pick them off". :eek: And I'm scared to watch some non veggies cook as they'll stir my stuff with the spoon that's just been in with the meat dish, etc.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A carefully prepared vegetarian meal - with chicken gravy on - has happened more than once.:D
    Or roast potatoes cooked in Goose fat, or just cooked in the same tray as the roast.

Or stuffing (the non-sausagemeat vegetarian kind) served up when it has been cooked inside the bird :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    We once went out to eat with a couple of friends who suggested a local pub which did nice curries (they had been before). We turned up, sat at a table, had some drinks and then after a short wait dishes started appearing.

We were a little surprised and pointed out that we hadn't actually ordered yet, or indeed even seen a menu, to which the lady replied "Oh we used to let people choose their dishes but it got too much so we have a set menu now". Oh, nice of her to inform us after the event. So we asked what the dishes were and basically one dish out of the four was vegetarian (and of course rice as well). :rolleyes: When we pointed out the problem she seemed rather put out but finally provided an extra dish of the vegetarian one, so we had one dish to go with the rice whilst our friends had four.

I have to say though that it is much better now than it was 20 years ago, then you basically ended up with a vegetable lasagne if you were lucky. Now even the local greasy spoon cafe does a vegetarian fry up with vege-sausages (whether they are cooked in the same pan as actual sausages I cannot say).

Of course French Restaurants (and for that matter France) still refuse to acknowledge that vegetarians exist :D
    Yes, it's much easier now. I once went on a driving holiday around Wales and the Cotswolds in the early 80s and lost weight (and never wanted to see a cheese salad, with the cheese grated and made into a solid ball again).

I wouldn't be too happy about that pub. What if you'd only wanted a drink, apart from anything else?
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member

Oh give over! None of them have any idea what's going on til they're gone!
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    dont really no why i became a vegetarian it certainly wasnt for any moral reason. i didnt eat much meat as a kid only mince or beef burgers so didnt bother me when my mum stopped buying meat and dont miss it now 20 years or so on

People eating meat doesnt bother me as although most of my family are vegetarian there are a few meat eaters and certainly wouldnt preach that they stop however they do seem to eat the veggie choice when it is put out:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    As an omnivore myself I'd estimate that at least half of my meals are vegetarian anyway so if I'm having people round for dinner and any of them are vegetarian I don't tend to cook something different for them, we just all eat veggie. No big deal.

LOL. The people I'm talking about are real evangelical meat-eaters usually! My brother once refused to eat something savoury niece cooked at school - because it had no meat in it.:o He'd even hurt his kid's feelings rather than let a forkful of veggie food pass his lips! That's how militant they are!:D