The Twitter Thread?

enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
Forum Member
✭✭✭
just wondering does anyone here go on twitter ,if so how many followers do you have and what do you post about generally?

i have under 100 followers at the moment hoping to get a few more and last night got a twit of Shawn Michaels(Ex WWE superstar) after i asked him a question on there.

Comments

• Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got 100 followers but i barely go on it, i mainly retweet funny stuff or have a go at homophobes! I like it on twitter because it isnt as censored one here but the 12 year old on direction fans get on my tits
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have like two followers and I just post about like, whatever.

Twitter is a glorified Diary for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    just wondering does anyone here go on twitter ,if so how many followers do you have and what do you post about generally?

i have under 100 followers at the moment hoping to get a few more and last night got a twit of Shawn Michaels(Ex WWE superstar) after i asked him a question on there.

Why are you hoping to get more followers? I only ask because some people seem to see twitter as a popularity contest and their main aim seems to be collecting as many followers as they can. The worst are the 'follow me and I will follow you back' crowd.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    I just dont get how people can talk about " tweeting " on " twitter " and not think that the whole thing sounds faintly ludicrous. Thatll probably go down like ten lead balloons I know. Maybe its just me. The only twitter I EVER look at is " weird horse "....hes weird ...hes a horse.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Yes : ≈150 : all sorts.

Most of my tweets are replies or RTs rather than hey-this-is-what's-going-on-with-me-now stuff.

← this is not my main account btw.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Upon just checking, I have 22 followers. One of them is a member of my family, 14 are people I 'know' from other places on the internet, and the other few are just random people who have started following me.

I don't post anything particularly interesting, so I won't get many followers, I sort of just use it as a 'Yay, this just made me smile' or 'Just seen this and found it interesting' kinda statement.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I've got about 200. Most of them are fans of The Archers, which I tweet about quite a bit, or friends who have ditched Facebook. Or just people who like bum jokes and random shit about comics, politics and music. Or gaming. Mostly bum jokes and The Archers, though.

I love it, though, because I love watching my favourite writers talk to each other about writing. It's like a free masterclass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use it almost daily. I've got 470 followers not one of whom I know personally afaik. I use it mainly to talk about and share political stuff and news in general. For light relief I get involved in tweets about Strictly or big TV events like the Olympics.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no Twitter account, and have no desire for one. I haven't the faintest interest in it, and am sick of hearing about it.

Neither have I a facebook page.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acker wrote: »
    I just dont get how people can talk about " tweeting " on " twitter " and not think that the whole thing sounds faintly ludicrous. Thatll probably go down like ten lead balloons I know. Maybe its just me. The only twitter I EVER look at is " weird horse "....hes weird ...hes a horse.

1 tweet got me 11000 followers.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use it daily, leaving it on whenever I'm using the computer. I follow 39 sources, nearly of which are news feeds and none of which are celebs, friends, relations or colleagues. I have no followers. Apart from a few tests to see how it works I've never tweeted anything myself. As a source of the latest news I find Twitter excellent.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've yet to read anything genuinely interesting on Twitter. As a source of breaking news and public awareness campaigns it has its uses, but other than that it's just tedious inane shite.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    I've yet to read anything genuinely interesting on Twitter. As a source of breaking news and public awareness campaigns it has its uses, but other than that it's just tedious inane shite.

You're following the wrong people then...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've yet to read anything genuinely interesting on Twitter.
    News (local, national, international, general, sport, financial, technical, politics), travel alerts, weather warnings - is none of that of any interest?
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    News (local, national, international, general, sport, financial, technical, politics), travel alerts, weather warnings - is none of that of any interest?

You 'forgot' to quote the bit where I said "As a source of breaking news ... it has its uses"
    stoatie wrote: »
    You're following the wrong people then...

I'm not following anyone. Feel free to link me to some tweets worth reading.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've become addicted to Twitter this year. Had it since 2010 but I only started using properly in March after I was in Gay Times magazine. Now I have 1914 followers due to that, doing an article helping others come out for a website called Rucomingout and for another publication called FS magazine. I also work in media so I follow people in the industry, musicians I like, celebs I like, friends, family and randoms. LOVE it!. I like getting info on the latest gigs and stuff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Ive turned old school.

Last week closed twitter and facebook.
    Twitter was set up a while ago for work really help with the logistic. then a very very minor celeb (his words) friend hit me with a few tweets and 1000s followed. I thought why? I got fed up. All these people I didnt know. So Closed. Same with facebook.

This week family, friends and work have all been told no more text as I wont read. I will not send or receive text I will speak only on phone. if they send me text I will not open it but will call them back.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Fry, good grief that man tweets, and tweets, he's worse than a bleedin dawn chorus, at the height of spring watch
  • Bex7t6Bex7t6 Posts: 1,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 182 followers. I don't tweet much. Sometimes about serious matters and occasionally about tv related stuff.

I'm being followed by Matt Goss from boy band Bros, who is doing very well for himself in Las Vegas. California hip hop group Far East Movement are also following me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not following anyone. Feel free to link me to some tweets worth reading.
    Here's some recommendations for news feeds:
    @AP (Associated Press)
    @BBCNews
    @BreakingNews
    @euronews
    @itvnews
    @MetroUK (newspaper)
    @SkyNewsBreak
    @USATODAY
    Your regional BBC and ITV
    Your regional newspaper
    Your preferred football club, etc

Most of these often have links from headlines that are tweeted to lengthier articles on their web sites.

You'll often see items retweeted by feeds you follow, and you can then choose to follow some of those original sources if you wish. Retweeting is the Twitter equivalent of posting a link on a web site, or forwarding an email.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have about 70 odd followers which is quite enough for me. Quite how people manage with thousands I really don't know.

Main topics are Feminist issues, child abuse issues, news and politics, Brentford FC, English football in general, England Int/county Cricket, SA/AUS cricket.

All in all, a pretty good balance. I tried the DS twitter feed at one point but it was too z-list celebrity obsessed so they got the heave-ho.:o

Excellent list from John above...I follow most of those too!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve never bothered with it but have two followers:confused:
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ic wrote: »
    1 tweet got me 11000 followers.

Was it "I luv Justin"......;):D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just a coupla hundred, all craftspeople or historians - amateur and professional - and two of my older sons. I always forget to put the link up when I get a chance. Think my blog has far more readers. Spect when my book comes out I might get a few more, on Twitter. But I am pretty boring. I have made only marginally more Tweets than I have followers. See some people on there with 30 followers and 2000 Tweets. I think if I used it more, I'd soon build more followers.

Just talk about craft stuff, and magazine stuff, and history stuff.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enudzio wrote: »
    ..last night got a twit .

You got a tweet .. not a twit :D