I think Cheryl Cole can sing...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now before you all slate me for saying, 'OMG are you crazy,' or 'You are mad,' please read my argument below.

I am not a Cheryl Cole fan, I don't mind her songs but I won't go and buy them or support her in any shape or form.

I think everyone can sing and hold a tune. The problem with many people is that they have the wrong technique and therefore appeal to a different audience to what their vocal style is all about. They also sing the wrong songs not intended for their vocal ability. Someone with a soft vocal cord should be singing pop songs or slightly rapping.

Cheryl can sing but she sings songs where background music is more important and the whole release and appeal to it more. Cheryl is more of a performer than a singer I will say and this is where people get wrong. She is a money maker which means that her sole purpose to attract an audience and sell records and make money like One Direction basically. If Cheryl wanted to become a respectable singer then she would do. Singing is not about holding a high note, it's about having a melody and tune. If a pop singer was to sing opera, they would be out of tune. Every single singing category won't fit for any singer so out of tune can mean anything.

Cheryl can hold a note and tune but fair enough can't really reach the high notes. This can be heard in her new single Crazy Stupid Love .

We all like different singers/bands and songs which demonstrate different singing abilities. Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same stuff?

We're all born to be able to sing, whether or not we choose to expand on it is our opinion. It's just that I've seen a lot of people slate her and I feel sorry for her really to be honest with you. Please don't hate me. Like I mentioned, I'm not a fan of Cheryl's music so this opinion isn't biased.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you that Cheryl is more of a performer than a singer, that is where her strengths are. She can dance really well and I think she finally showcased that on Call My Name.

As for her singing voice, I wouldn't go all crazy over it but when it comes to up-tempo songs like Sexy Den A Mutha, Call My Name and Crazy Stupid Love, they do compliment her well. It's her mid to "slower" songs like Parachute, The Flood or even Under The Sun that does not do her any justice. It sounds like she is struggling. Screw You is the only exception that I can think of, mainly because she sings in the lower range (despite a few odd lines where she attempts to go high).

I don't necessarily think she is a bad singer at all. In fact, she can sing good when it comes to pop songs that suit her. It's mainly the slower songs that let her down massively. Moreover, there are many singers that sound much worse vocally, in my opinion.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, she's not the next Celine Dion but I think she's got a nice voice and it suits the kind of music she releases.

She's a pop singer and an entertainer, and she always puts on a good performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    I agree with you that Cheryl is more of a performer than a singer, that is where her strengths are. She can dance really well and I think she finally showcased that on Call My Name.

As for her singing voice, I wouldn't go all crazy over it but when it comes to up-tempo songs like Sexy Den A Mutha, Call My Name and Crazy Stupid Love, they do compliment her well. It's her mid to "slower" songs like Parachute, The Flood or even Under The Sun that does not do her any justice. It sounds like she is struggling. Screw You is the only exception that I can think of, mainly because she sings in the lower range (despite a few odd lines where she attempts to go high).

I don't necessarily think she is a bad singer at all. In fact, she can sing good when it comes to pop songs that suit her. It's mainly the slower songs that let her down massively. Moreover, there are many singers that sound much worse vocally, in my opinion.

Fair enough, she's not the next Celine Dion but I think she's got a nice voice and it suits the kind of music she releases.

She's a pop singer and an entertainer, and she always puts on a good performance.

Yeah exactly and she must be doing something right as she does sell records and albums. I also think that Cheryl isn't as auto tuned as other singers as you can tell the way she sings and the way Ke$ha sings that it sounds more robotic.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she has a nice voice? There's a difference between having a nice voice, remember you can have a nice voice but be classed as "can't sing"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    She can hold a note, she just doesn't have a remotely interesting or appealing voice. It's just very dull and makes her music sound even more bland.

People often put her in the same bracket as britney, but at least she had a bit of character to her voice back in the day, Cheryl could sing someone into a coma.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem isn't that she can or can't sing, it's because these days if you can't scream yourself hoarse like Beyonce or shriek and wail like Jessie J you're classed as a bad singer.
    Everyone has a different voice, having a stronger voice, and having a good singing voice is different, sometimes they can be combined but people need to get the idea out of their heads that:

Shrieking high notes = good singer
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    for me singing quality is so subjective and based on: tone - timbre - pitch - character - diction

If I was her vocal coach I would recommend work on breath control to pronounce and carry notes. Nerves greatly affect her voice. Like many. She can sing. She has a good character to her voice and is identifiable from others.

I think that people say that she can't sing because of her pitch - she misses notes owing to nerves and perhaps lack of technique. She does sound flat or notes are wobbly in places, but I have heard her well rehearsed and she has delivered well.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    She can't sing, as was proven - rather spectacularly - at the Queens jubilee.

Did you see her last night on BGT. Little Mix absolutely wiped the floor with her! I find it totally unfathomable how she managed to bag a judging role on a talant show.

I'm also quite confused as to how she managed to make the final of Popstars The Rivals! Clearly standards weren't quite a high as they are today.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Little Mix completely mimed the chorus to Salute last night.

People love to pick and choose who they slate.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    i thought that cheryl sang live last night?
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Little Mix completely mimed the chorus to Salute last night.

People love to pick and choose who they slate.

Didn't they mime it all? Look at Jesy and Jade's lips at the start when they start singing, they over did it. Still thought it was a good performance though.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought that cheryl sang live last night?

Yes and she sounded terrible. She did her stiff as a board dancing too. However I'm sure she will get to number one and regain her nation's sweetheart title when she returns to the x-factor later this year.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Yes and she sounded terrible. She did her stiff as a board dancing too. However I'm sure she will get to number one and regain her nation's sweetheart title when she returns to the x-factor later this year.

Nothing but a talentless Geordie attention seeker. Talentless little bint she is.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miming is a delicate art. She should stick to perfecting that as she sure as heck can not sing, and put against people who can at least hold a noteand make it listenable like Little Mix last night on Britain's Got Talent and it becomes painfully obvious that Simon Cowell picked the wrong Girls Aloud member to become the most successful singer.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's useless
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read your argument.
    Then I heard her sing last night.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queens Jubilee.

/end thread.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are some clips of her singing live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v6MwMpYpug

Sounds acceptable in a lot of them, she isn't a vocal queen but who cares? Whoever said she had to be?
  • lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has a limited range but can sing well for a pop singer within that range, songs like the flood were too high for her and sometimes she can sound a bit flat, however, she has never claimed to be the best singer in the world, she is a good dancer and entertainer and obviously appeals to a wide audience otherwise she would not have had the solo career she has had.

I think her voice worked well in girls aloud and is perhaps more suited to being in a girl group but she has done very well for herself with what she has.

People need to remember it was the public that voted her into Girls Aloud, she wouldn't be where she is now without that.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She can sing

Just not very well.

I do enjoy some of her music though but she just comes across as such a half arsed pop star. Three solo albums of material now and only seven single releases from all three. I think she gives up on her albums after single 2 hence why she uses high profile TV show slots to sell the music initially and then she gives up.

I was actually surprised she toured solo in 2012 as I just think her solo career is a mere hobby for her so she has a reason to justify her fame.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then we should be saying she has very limited vocal range, aka like your average joe.