Options

Corrie: Why has Marcus been turned into a complete moron?

Marvellous1Marvellous1 Posts: 1,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can totally understand being attracted to someone (in Marcus' s case, Todd), but he's been turned from a principled and caring person, who had drive, into a complete lap dog without an independent thought in his head.

I know, I know. Todd is supposed to be the master manipulator and panto villain (alongside the unrealistic Tracey-love), can't the writers do this without turning usually smart characters into idiots to enhance their dasterdliness? Marcus will now throw sickies on request, pay for eveything and sit closed mouth while Todd constantly tries to wind eveyone up. Previously, Marcus would have had something to say about it, but now he does his English Bull Terrier look, sighs and says "alriiiight", then rolls over (figuratively and literally).

I suppose we have to wait for him to have his lightbulb moment, but if Kirk has more insight on a situation (Todd's true nature) than you, you are in serious trouble or have heen regressed for storyline.

Comments

• Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can totally understand being attracted to someone (in Marcus' s case, Todd), but he's been turned from a principled and caring person, who had drive, into a complete lap dog without an independent thought in his head.

I know, I know. Todd is supposed to be the master manipulator and panto villain (alongside the unrealistic Tracey-love), can't the writers do this without turning usually smart characters into idiots to enhance their dasterdliness? Marcus will now throw sickies on request, pay for eveything and sit closed mouth while Todd constantly tries to wind eveyone up. Previously, Marcus would have had something to say about it, but now he does his English Bull Terrier look, sighs and says "alriiiight", then rolls over (figuratively and literally).

I suppose we have to wait for him to have his lightbulb moment, but if Kirk has more insight on a situation (Todd's true nature) than you, you are in serious trouble or have heen regressed for storyline.

Lol!!! :D
    Marcus is leaving so it's just lazy writing to help get rid.
  • Options
    P-ComboP-Combo Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps generally don't put much work into a character when their leaving. Which is why he isn't doing much, And just wondering around with todd in the cafe.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning him from a gay man to a hetro, after years as a gay man was where it started, I guess the fall out made Maria mildly interesting for awhile it's a shame it was at the cost of Marcus who was a decent character, far better then Sean aka Anthony 'I play myself' Cotton and Todd who is just embarrassing!
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Turning him from a gay man to a hetro, after years as a gay man was where it started, I guess the fall out made Maria mildly interesting for awhile it's a shame it was at the cost of Marcus who was a decent character, far better then Sean aka Anthony 'I play myself' Cotton and Todd who is just embarrassing!

When did they turn him heterosexual?
  • Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »

They didn't.
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    P-Combo wrote: »
    Soaps generally don't put much work into a character when their leaving. Which is why he isn't doing much, And just wondering around with todd in the cafe.

CS were equally as guilty of this with Stella Price.

Once Michelle Collins had announced she was leaving her story lines plunged to next to nothing and her exit was hardly memorable.

I feel the soaps (in general) need to give more thought into characters when it's announced the actor/actress is leaving... regardless of it's by death or leaving the area (to maybe return one day.)

Back to the OP and CS have ruined the character of Marcus; it was refreshing to see a man who predominantly dated men date a woman (I'm gay myself and if the right woman came along it's something I'd consider) and I felt I could relate to the storyline.

Would Marcus really not have seen what Todd was like? Look at his general attitude to work and Maria... that's not the kind of person I'd want to date!
  • Options
    Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart Blackburn
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is very sad - and annoying - that they changed Marcus' character. He was a caring midwife and good friend and neighbour. It was possibly feasible that he would have found happiness with a woman, Maria, I don't know about these things; but the nasty Todd is the last person he would have a friendship, or more, with. He is now staying off work and lying to his employers at the hospital. I wish the actor well in any future role he takes after Coronation Street.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soaps always give characters a personality transplant thinking the audience will find them more interesting. Marcus is a totally wimp and Todd is an opportunist toad waiting to pounce.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Charlie Condu is (sadly) leaving Marcus has been hit with the personality transplant fairy and has been turned into a total a***hole. Marcus was always a good guy and loved Leeeam and would never have just not turned up when he was supposed to see him. The Devil Incarnate Todd has turned his head. Its a pity Charlie is going and a 'big story' has been written for the awfully acted mincing comb over has been Cotton.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^see above^. He announced he wanted to leave.
  • Options
    tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »

well Maria couldn't turn him!
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    ^see above^. He announced he wanted to leave.

Why do they do this in Corrie?
    Actors announce they want to leave so they change the character's persona completely so we all end up hating them and can't wait to get rid?

The only exception I can think of recently is Hayley.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »

Agreed. I like Marcus but Sean & Todd are negative gay stereotypes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for Charlie Condou. he's a good actor who has obviously put lot into his character only for the scriptwriters to ruin it for him. I wonder what is his opinion about all this? he's probably too professional to rubbish the show but he looks like an actor who is just speaking the lines he's been given whereas before his heart was in it.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Why do they do this in Corrie?
    Actors announce they want to leave so they change the character's persona completely so we all end up hating them and can't wait to get rid?

The only exception I can think of recently is Hayley.

Even she underwent an unwelcome change of character
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Soaps always give characters a personality transplant thinking the audience will find them more interesting. Marcus is a totally wimp and Todd is an opportunist toad waiting to pounce.

Todd the Toad, I like that bornfree !!
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tripitaka wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Charlie Condou. he's a good actor who has obviously put lot into his character only for the scriptwriters to ruin it for him. I wonder what is his opinion about all this? he's probably too professional to rubbish the show but he looks like an actor who is just speaking the lines he's been given whereas before his heart was in it.

Michelle Keegan did voice some of her misgivings about Tina's affair with Peter, saying that wasn't in her character. We are supposed to believe that you fall for someone and lose all your principles and previous character traits. Impossible to believe that Marcus would let down his work and Maria and Liam when these were so important to him. He obviously does see how nasty and unprincipled Todd is and is so driven by lust that he overlooks it. Now he's supposed to be in love with him despite his knowledge of Todd's thoroughly unpleasant character. He just sits there blinking and looking mildly alarmed when Todd does his worst. Not in the least convincing, and really not interesting.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Agreed. I like Marcus but Sean & Todd are negative gay stereotypes.
    I don't agree about Todd tbh. If we're defining 'stereotype' as the general perceived opinion on how a certain type of individual is likely to behave, then I don't think ToddHitler fits the bill. He's just a nasty piece of work, the likes of whom are found throughout society, but I don't think anybody would equate that with being gay particularly.

:)
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    CS were equally as guilty of this with Stella Price.

Once Michelle Collins had announced she was leaving her story lines plunged to next to nothing and her exit was hardly memorable.

I feel the soaps (in general) need to give more thought into characters when it's announced the actor/actress is leaving... regardless of it's by death or leaving the area (to maybe return one day.)

Back to the OP and CS have ruined the character of Marcus; it was refreshing to see a man who predominantly dated men date a woman (I'm gay myself and if the right woman came along it's something I'd consider) and I felt I could relate to the storyline.

Would Marcus really not have seen what Todd was like? Look at his general attitude to work and Maria... that's not the kind of person I'd want to date!

BIB I love Liz but when she wanted to return to Corrie they couldn't get Stella out of the Rovers quick enough. No wonder Michelle Collins was peed off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he bought Todd-no-longer-Hitler that car yet?
    I'm sure they were banging on about one the other day.
    That seemed a great idea, even though folk on the street have nowhere to park one, no visible funds to afford one, and never ever venture further than the end of the road anyway.

This whole 'rinsing' of Mucus doesn't seem to be going terribly well from where I'm sitting.
    Perhaps Todd should have chosen someone that has more than just a duffle-bag full of clothes to his name.

I'm not certain he's thought this through at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Todd was pretty good character too before he went off to thatLondon
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he bought Todd-no-longer-Hitler that car yet?
    I'm sure they were banging on about one the other day.
    That seemed a great idea, even though folk on the street have nowhere to park one, no visible funds to afford one, and never ever venture further than the end of the road anyway.

This whole 'rinsing' of Mucus doesn't seem to be going terribly well from where I'm sitting.
    Perhaps Todd should have chosen someone that has more than just a duffle-bag full of clothes to his name.

I'm not certain he's thought this through at all.

What? He's already had more than one of Anna's fry-ups and several bottles of beer in the Rovers out of him. I'd call that a result. It's certainly a lot more than I've ever been able to rinse a bloke for. Where am I going wrong? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Todd was pretty good character too before he went off to thatLondon
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    What? He's already had more than one of Anna's fry-ups and several bottles of beer in the Rovers out of him. I'd call that a result. It's certainly a lot more than I've ever been able to rinse a bloke for. Where am I going wrong? :(

You can 'rinse' me any time you like OJ. :)

I'm as poor as a church mouse mind and the arse is hanging out of me jeans, but I reckon I'm still ripe for rinsing sweetheart.