Hmv reveals sales figures

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems they are back on track:

http://m.retail-week.com/5062086.article

HMV reveals UK sales of £470m in first year out of administration

Along wth a successful rebrand of Clintons and Game. Shows sow businesses can be turned around however ones like Blockbuster were a lost cause.

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But are they going to do online mailorder sales again? Amazon seem to have a near monopoly on that.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That link seems to be subscribers only, but this appears to work

http://www.retail-week.com/sectors/entertainment/hmv-reveals-uk-sales-of-470m-in-first-year-out-of-administration/5062086.article

This is an interesting proposal as well ..
    As it aims to fight back against Amazon and the supermarkets, the retailer will later this summer begin offering shoppers a free digital version of every physical album purchased. Amazon already offers the same proposition.

I do think the high street needs a business like HMV.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

http://www.retail-week.com/sectors/entertainment/hmv-reveals-uk-sales-of-470m-in-first-year-out-of-administration/5062086.article

Most towns and cities now have CEX which makes HMV a dinosaur business model. Cheaper goods and wider choice.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish posters wouldn't provide links to articles that require a subscription in order to view them.

Edit: I hope they learn from their past mistake of charging the maximum price for everything. Although, they must have if their profits are increasing. I've always thought HMV were great though, because they had tons of DVDs for you to choose from.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most towns and cities now have CEX which makes HMV a dinosaur business model. Cheaper goods and wider choice.

Other than the second hand tat the stuff in CEX is massively overpriced, most of their new stock is full RRP, and even the second hand stuff is not great, I've regularly seen things second hand in CEX for more than you could buy them new for from HMV or Head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to sign in to read the content on this site.

*closes tab*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

because, obviously, they're second hand. I know CEX do do some "new" items but their business model is second hand sales.

I personally have no objection to second hand goods but I know plenty of people would prefer new
    Red John wrote: »
    *closes tab*

did the link I posted not work then ?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not for me.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant read the content of the links either.

To be honest sales figures mean nothing without knowing costs and profit/loss.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without knowing how that compares to previous years, and how much actual profit they made, it's hard to comment
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most towns and cities now have CEX which makes HMV a dinosaur business model.

Don't they both have the same business model: sell stuff for more than they pay for it?

It would be very weird if CEX sold things for a loss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant read the content of the links either.

To be honest sales figures mean nothing without knowing costs and profit/loss.

Ah, I misread the title. I very quickly skimmed across it and thought it said profits.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

A lot of people don't want second hand manky goods though. I certainly don't! Just the smell of a CEX shop is enough to make me barf! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    A lot of people don't want second hand manky goods though. I certainly don't! Just the smell of a CEX shop is enough to make me barf! :o

I don't mind shopping in CeX at all when at the Metro. Allt that matters to me is that the packaging looks in great condition and the bottom of the disc looks clean enough. In other words, virtually no scratches. No scratches at all would be even better though.If it all looks good enough, I don't care at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it didn't:
    Subscribe to Retail Week to read this article
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member

CEX doesn't sell music does it? I do miss the days of high streets full of HMV, Our Price, Virgin, Tower Records, Borders... :( Too many clothes shops now.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see the point in offering a free download version with a physical purchase. People can easily rip the CD themselves at higher quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    CEX doesn't sell music does it? I do miss the days of high streets full of HMV, Our Price, Virgin, Tower Records, Borders... :( Too many clothes shops now.

To hell with the likes of HMV and Virgin. I miss the days of high streets full of independent music stores.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everybody wants second hand items though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with 2nd hand items? I would have thought we would move past the snobbery around 2nd hand items.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To hell with the likes of HMV and Virgin. I miss the days of high streets full of independent music stores.

Generally speaking indie record stores were never on the high streets in the last 30-40 years. Sidestreets and back streets, yes while Woolies, WHSmith, Our Price, Virgin, HMV etc dominated the high street.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Generally speaking indie record stores were never on the high streets in the last 30-40 years. Sidestreets and back streets, yes while Woolies, WHSmith, Our Price, Virgin, HMV etc dominated the high street.

You know what I meant :p

It was the chain stores that put the independent stores out of business, now the Internet is doing much the same to the chain stores. It's all rather ironic.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member

I don't know what it was like before the 90s when I started buying music but I always found the larger stores had a MUCH better selection than the small independent ones. Don't see the appeal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

a lot of CEX branches are bringing back CD's at the moment. it also depends on the area as well - if physical music sells well in one particular area then the CEX branch will have more of it.
    I don't see the point in offering a free download version with a physical purchase. People can easily rip the CD themselves at higher quality.

True, but not everyone would necessarily be technically savvy enough to rip a CD I suppose. And it's the convenience factor as well - if they're given a link to the ready-ripped album to download with their physical purchase, it might be a more tempting option.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know what it was like before the 90s when I started buying music but I always found the larger stores had a MUCH better selection than the small independent ones. Don't see the appeal.

We must have been behind the times in Western Northern Ireland as we still had all the independent stores in the 90s :D

I remember one where the staff were brilliant, knowledgeable and friendly; and it was a social experience to go into the shop.

I have never had that experience in HMV.