Options

Asda-Group selection Interview

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
Forum Member
anyone ever attended one of these? What happens?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    My friend's daughter went the other day and took part in role play,(seller and buyer), and was interviewed by a panel of 5 people! Very team player orientated. Was there a few hours. Didn't get the job.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went throu one earlier this year.

Its not as bad as it sounds, its a exercise to see how well you comunicate with others, and solving problems.

We played this game where you each get a card with a number on, and you put it on your head and then the group has to arrange itself in correct number order.

YOu have to tell the group about yourself, and you have to tell them two things you would put in a time capsule and why.

We did a egg box building game in small groups of 3 or 4.

Then at the end we filled in a form with which hours we can and cant work, and stated which department we wanted to work in ( they gave us a list of departments wanting to take on staff)

I found it much better than the group interview i had for woolworths a few years ago.

I passed my selection interview and I had a interview with a manger, and i was offered a job, which i took.

I know someone who went after a job there, got throu the selection process, but was declined a job after a interview with a manager.

I should add this is what happened at my selection interview, and its not changed at our store, but other Asda stores my have a process that differs.
  • Options
    lauriejeanettelauriejeanette Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I work for Asda and have done so for four years.

People think its easy to get into Asda but it isn't.

They firstly have a point system based on your application form before they even consider a group interview.

If you successfully reach the group selection stage, then your assesed through your interaction with the group and team work activities.

You have a role play activity which basically tests to see if your outgoing and interact with the group. Its essential you work as part of a team.

If all is well they will phone you for an interview :)
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work at Asda. The group interview we went to was alright.

We started off having to do the usual, talk to the person next to you and get as much info about them as possible and then introduce them to the group.

Then we were given a few sheets of paper, a few stickers, a balloon and a bar of chocolate and we had to build something that would support the bar of chocolate. Best thing was we got to eat the bar of chocolate afterwards!

It was all right from what I remember, just look like you are interested and take part and you will do well.

I got invited back for an interview - well, I say interview as soon as I sat down the lady said "you've got a job this is just to sort out your hours".
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a load of nonsense to me!!!

Steps of standard interview technique

1. show candidate a hoop
    2. ask candidate to jump through hoop
    3. watch candidate jump through hoop
    4. write letter of rejection to candidate
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, I don't think I did very well, I was in a team of 5, two didnt speak very good english and when we were given tasks we all looked at each other- no-one had any suggestions so I kind of took charge so that we wouldnt look stupid when we had to do our presentation -now i'm worried I looked like a bossy control freak which couldnt be further from the truth, it's just that no-one else was doing anything, i kept saying 'is this ok with everybody? do you want to add to or change anything' but no one did.

Oh well
  • Options
    tvdtvd Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that palaver for a low paid job in retail? :confused:
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I went through one for a new store. It was like a show not an interview. There's 5 assessors they talk to you about what's going to happen then to get rid of nerves and they sing the asda song ;) You have to get up clap your hands and shout Asda as loud as you can. The normal get to know the person next to you stuff then, they do little games like put yourselves in order of shoe size & date of birth. The role play we had to do was they split us into groups of 3/4 then we have to think of ways to sell a bag of oranges. Our customer would be an office worker then two of us from the group had to stand up and do a role play of it. All the time there's this guy watching you and making notes. That was only the first part of the interview wouldn't know what the second part would be I never got that far lol They like loud people sounds like you did well :)
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with ASDA is its who you know. If you have a family member working there then they will practically offer you a job on a plate. Everyone I know who has worked there has either had a parent, auntie/uncle, cousin or sibling working there before them.

Anyone else has to go through this palava. I have applied to ASDA three times and have not so much as heard a peep off them afterwards :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing with ASDA is its who you know. If you have a family member working there then they will practically offer you a job on a plate. Everyone I know who has worked there has either had a parent, auntie/uncle, cousin or sibling working there before them.

Anyone else has to go through this palava. I have applied to ASDA three times and have not so much as heard a peep off them afterwards :rolleyes:

The definitely don't do that at the Asda i worked at. absolutly everyone that wanted a job had to go through the same process. I don't much rate the Asda you are applying to if thats the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loussie2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I don't think I did very well, I was in a team of 5, two didnt speak very good english and when we were given tasks we all looked at each other- no-one had any suggestions so I kind of took charge so that we wouldnt look stupid when we had to do our presentation -now i'm worried I looked like a bossy control freak which couldnt be further from the truth, it's just that no-one else was doing anything, i kept saying 'is this ok with everybody? do you want to add to or change anything' but no one did.

Oh well

Oh I think you might find you did ok. They would have noticed that the others didn't give a crap so would most likely have ruled them out straight away. Whereas with you they would have seen you were in a difficult situation and were trying to do your best and include everyone.

I think you probably did better than you think.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FeNerd wrote: »
    The definitely don't do that at the Asda i worked at. absolutly everyone that wanted a job had to go through the same process. I don't much rate the Asda you are applying to if thats the case.

Oh I dunno. I work for asda and I'd suggest there is a hint of truth to SparkleBabe's statement. Maybe not as black and white as s/he put it though.
  • Options
    gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member

Your so right. At the new store I had to go through all that and still I didn't get a job offer. I met one girl during a job centre course and her aunty was working in the office there. All this girl had to do was go into the store and they told her she starts as soon as the store is open. It's maddening she turned up in trainers and tracksuit bottoms didn't even have an interview and was offered a job just like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these hoops to jump through in order to get what in essence is a low paid and low skill job? I really dont see the need really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through one for a new store. It was like a show not an interview. There's 5 assessors they talk to you about what's going to happen then to get rid of nerves and they sing the asda song ;) You have to get up clap your hands and shout Asda as loud as you can.

I just peed myself laughing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summer__x wrote: »
    I just peed myself laughing :)

There is footage in the trail for the film, walmart: the high cost of living, of like 20,000 people doing it at the walmart (asda's parent company) AGM. Actually quite scary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you view this online?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summer__x wrote: »
    Can you view this online?

http://www.walmartmovie.com/ you don't actually see a crowd shot, but I assure you it was at an AGM and between 17 and 20 thousand people would of been there.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dizzykitty wrote: »
    I passed my selection interview and I had a interview with a manger, and i was offered a job, which i took.

Was the job at asda a role in the christmas play? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got the job!!:)