Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Louisa in the opening scene of "The Two of Us.". :D:D:D

Zarwen...I had the same idea! Now I'll have to think some more. LOL!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. If you were going to dress up for Halloween as a DM character, which character would you choose?

2. And what particular look, style, item(s) would you wear to depict the character?

3. Or, if it is easier to answer, what scene that the character was in would you choose to dress like they did?

Happy Halloween!

I would dress up like Louisa in the mornings of S5 with her incredibly sexy baggy pjs and fuzzy slippers with the granny cardi on top. Maybe I'd carry an electric toothbrush. Wouldn't be much different from my real clothes. (Well, maybe I'm not THAT bad if you catch me after 11am)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CC is the costar of Murder In Suburbia. On Fanfiction.net is an MIS segment. Much MIS fanfiction presumes to put Ash and Scribbs into a romantic relationship. WHY?

I am male, and hetero, and have gay friends, but I just don't get it. Kate and Emma are clearly hetero on screen, at least to me. Why does FF put them into the same bed?

Any guesses?

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    CC is the costar of Murder In Suburbia. On Fanfiction.net is an MIS segment. Much MIS fanfiction presumes to put Ash and Scribbs into a romantic relationship. WHY?

I am male, and hetero, and have gay friends, but I just don't get it. Kate and Emma are clearly hetero on screen, at least to me. Why does FF put them into the same bed?

Any guesses?

Rob

I figure people are just strange. I never understood the Kirk/Spock or K/S universe nor the Sherlock/Watson thing. I am solidly hetero myself but some women (mostly) must see something erotic in those relationships. The K/S thing really grossed me out. Give me a good girl meets boy...girl and boy get it on in a big way..story and I'm happy. I guess the other is more exotic/erotic like men watching women make love. Normal is dull these days. I don't get it either so I'm no help Rob. Sorry it's the descent of culture into the last days of the Roman Empire. I feel for my kids and their kids.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Louisa in the opening scene of "The Two of Us.". :D:D:D

Had to look that up. Oh, MY! And here I was looking for the white robe with yellow flowers for a costume! I guess I was thinking "clothes". :) ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to look that up. Oh, MY! And here I was looking for the white robe with yellow flowers for a costume! I guess I was thinking "clothes". :) ;-)

All you would need is a red sheet!
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Two comments
    About Louisa's suspected Bottega Veneta brown handbag, Friday's Wall Street Journal carried a front page story that Gucci is losing market share to Bottega. Could it have been because of the product placement of Louisa's bag?

For the comment about Lesbian Murder in Suburbia fan fiction, it might be that the stories are fantasy and men and women can project their personal fantasies on the characters they like in the show. The Doc Martin Facebook pages have many posters who seem to have at least mild sexual fantasies about Martin Clunes. MC has never appeared on my gay-dar but there are likely male fans who could imagine a sexual relationship with him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two comments
    About Louisa's suspected Bottega Veneta brown handbag, Friday's Wall Street Journal carried a front page story that Gucci is losing market share to Bottega. Could it have been because of the product placement of Louisa's bag?

For the comment about Lesbian Murder in Suburbia fan fiction, it might be that the stories are fantasy and men and women can project their personal fantasies on the characters they like in the show. The Doc Martin Facebook pages have many posters who seem to have at least mild sexual fantasies about Martin Clunes. MC has never appeared on my gay-dar but there are likely male fans who could imagine a sexual relationship with him

I admit to having more than mild sexual fantasies about MC. All you need to see are his onscreen kisses and he sucks you in. I do, however, remember a Twitter post with a gay man who commented that Martin was big and gloriously beautiful. He was doing something suggestive in the pic like laying his head on MCs shoulder or touching his face leaving Martin with an odd, unpleasant expression. MC never shows up on anyone's gaydar. I bet he was hit on when he was young....he was indeed pretty and so hairless.
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Came across this list of self-proclaimed "ingenious" household items, and thought #3 would be perfect for our favourite manny :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/ingenious-household-items?sub=2540883_1547834
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Came across this list of self-proclaimed "ingenious" household items, and thought #3 would be perfect for our favourite manny :D

Yes, and #9 would be a good one too! :p
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amongst many catalogs I received in yesterday's mail, I received one from Bas Bleu which offered for sale the Obsessive Chef Cutting Board #UE6542 for $25. It describes the item as follows: "People who enjoy precision and order in life will appreciate this Obsessive Chef Cutting Board, with guides etched into the surface so that all chopping and dicing can be performed to perfection. The sturdy bamboo board measures about 9"x12"---um, I mean exactly 9.1"x11.8"---and half an inch thick. What a perfectly appropriate (and very funny) gift for people who like things just so."

The very fact that DM series highlighted OCD twice in the series, once the teacher in a previous series and Mike in S6, makes me wonder if a part of MC's makeup is he is a precise, orderly person. While the teacher depicted a different type of OCD than Mike, IMO, where do you draw the line between a neat person vs. a sloppy one? The teacher was an edgy personality while Mike seemed comfortable being an orderly and calm person. It was interesting to see the Mike neatness vs. the Louisa not so neat. While it didn't bother Mike, it did bother Louisa. Interesting. Do you ever go to a clothing store and see a garment dropped on the floor by a thoughtless person and just walking away? Well, if I see that, I pick it up and hang it up! Does that make me OCD? I think not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Amongst many catalogs I received in yesterday's mail, I received one from Bas Bleu which offered for sale the Obsessive Chef Cutting Board #UE6542 for $25. It describes the item as follows: "People who enjoy precision and order in life will appreciate this Obsessive Chef Cutting Board, with guides etched into the surface so that all chopping and dicing can be performed to perfection. The sturdy bamboo board measures about 9"x12"---um, I mean exactly 9.1"x11.8"---and half an inch thick. What a perfectly appropriate (and very funny) gift for people who like things just so."

The very fact that DM series highlighted OCD twice in the series, once the teacher in a previous series and Mike in S6, makes me wonder if a part of MC's makeup is he is a precise, orderly person. While the teacher depicted a different type of OCD than Mike, IMO, where do you draw the line between a neat person vs. a sloppy one? The teacher was an edgy personality while Mike seemed comfortable being an orderly and calm person. It was interesting to see the Mike neatness vs. the Louisa not so neat. While it didn't bother Mike, it did bother Louisa. Interesting. Do you ever go to a clothing store and see a garment dropped on the floor by a thoughtless person and just walking away? Well, if I see that, I pick it up and hang it up! Does that make me OCD? I think not.

I read in the ubiquitous somewhere that MC said he was orderly in some things...like his woodworking shop and not so orderly in others. OK, the blue polo shirt and khakis....is that OCD in that he always wants to look the same or is that exactly opposite? As in, he lacks vanity and really hates to think about what to wear that he just wears the same thing because he doesn't give a rat's ass. Somehow I think the latter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

No, it makes you a thoughtful person :)

Tricia (the teacher) did depict a different type of OCD than Mike. It’s actually two distinct disorders with confusingly similar names – OCD and OCPD (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder). OCD – Tricia’s case - is considered an anxiety disorder and characterized by compulsive behaviors like her only being able to enter rooms on the half hour, compulsive handwashing and all that kind of stuff. The person is often bothered by their behaviors but can’t stop them voluntarily. Mike I think had OCPD, which is a so-called personality disorder, and is about perfectionism, extreme orderliness, control, etc.. It doesn’t involve compulsions or obsessive behavior in the same way and the person often considers his/her actions to be necessary or useful, for instance as a way to be more efficient. So when we describe people being excessively orderly, control freaks, or the like as OCD, we’re usually really talking about OCPD. But obviously, there’s a continuum, and being orderly, precise, and neat doesn’t automatically mean the person has OCPD! I thought the show did a good job of differentiating the two, although Mike seemed to have some elements of both, at least in terms of recognizing his behavior as problematic and wanting to change it.

For anyone who's as obsessed about this as I am,. here are a couple of websites describing the differences:
    http://ocd.about.com/od/otheranxietydisorders/a/OCD_OCPD.htm
    http://ocd.about.com/od/diagnosis/f/OCD_OCPDFAQ.htm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regard to MC's famous blue polo shirt, why do I have visions of him going into his hamper and pulling out that shirt, giving it a sniff, and then finding it acceptable to wear one more time before it hits the washing machine?
    Forum Member
    With regard to MC's famous blue polo shirt, why do I have visions of him going into his hamper and pulling out that shirt, giving it a sniff, and then finding it acceptable to wear one more time before it hits the washing machine?

That thought has occurred to me as well... :blush: I've also fabricated an alternative explanation for its ubiquity: he bought the shirt, liked it, immediately bought ten more, and, orderly person that he is, rotates them so that all are at the same level of wear and thus look identical (kind of like with the three wedding dresses they had to make for CC).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the same vision....then I also have this vision of his farm work pants standing in the corner and walking over to him so he can put them on....they're THAT dirty! A lot has to do with being Gary Strang.....but a lot has to do with being a normal GUY.
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    No, it makes you a thoughtful person :)

Tricia (the teacher) did depict a different type of OCD than Mike. It’s actually two distinct disorders with confusingly similar names – OCD and OCPD (obsessive-compulsive personality disorder). OCD – Tricia’s case - is considered an anxiety disorder and characterized by compulsive behaviors like her only being able to enter rooms on the half hour, compulsive handwashing and all that kind of stuff. The person is often bothered by their behaviors but can’t stop them voluntarily. Mike I think had OCPD, which is a so-called personality disorder, and is about perfectionism, extreme orderliness, control, etc.. It doesn’t involve compulsions or obsessive behavior in the same way and the person often considers his/her actions to be necessary or useful, for instance as a way to be more efficient. So when we describe people being excessively orderly, control freaks, or the like as OCD, we’re usually really talking about OCPD. But obviously, there’s a continuum, and being orderly, precise, and neat doesn’t automatically mean the person has OCPD! I thought the show did a good job of differentiating the two, although Mike seemed to have some elements of both, at least in terms of recognizing his behavior as problematic and wanting to change it.

For anyone who's as obsessed about this as I am,. here are a couple of websites describing the differences:
    http://ocd.about.com/od/otheranxietydisorders/a/OCD_OCPD.htm
    http://ocd.about.com/od/diagnosis/f/OCD_OCPDFAQ.htm

Thank you, Hester_52, for comparing the two. I'm not sure I've ever heard of OCPD before, but that distinction makes a lot of sense to me. When I think of Tricia, the teacher, her compulsions seemed disruptive and irrational, whereas Mike's were more focused on efficiency and order.

In general, the turning point on the spectrum between basic neatness and OCD/OCPD seems to be the ability (or more accurately, the inability) to just let something go. To use the example of a shirt tipped on the floor in a store, I would most likely take a minute to put it right, as I think many people would do. But if I had cranky kids with me, and I was running late, and I could see an employee tidying the next shelf over, I might not. And if I didn't, I wouldn't think twice of it after leaving. But if someone with OCD/OCPD was in the same situation, my guess is that they wouldn't be able to just let it go. They certainly wouldn't be able to focus on anything else until that item was corrected.

I think ME prefers things to be neat and orderly around him, and he did seem to appreciate the results of Mike's efforts in the house. But the very fact that ME was content to let Mike rearrange his espresso cups, etc. makes me think that ME himself does not have OCD or OCPD. Perhaps it more closely related to being a surgeon? One does not enter (or succeed) in that field without a high degree of precision, attention to hygiene, and exactitude.

As for the blue polo shirt..... any chance he's doing it on purpose to befuddle the paparazzi? I believe Daniel Radcliffe wore the same outfit for months for this exact reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Hester_52, for comparing the two. I'm not sure I've ever heard of OCPD before, but that distinction makes a lot of sense to me. When I think of Tricia, the teacher, her compulsions seemed disruptive and irrational, whereas Mike's were more focused on efficiency and order.

In general, the turning point on the spectrum between basic neatness and OCD/OCPD seems to be the ability (or more accurately, the inability) to just let something go. To use the example of a shirt tipped on the floor in a store, I would most likely take a minute to put it right, as I think many people would do. But if I had cranky kids with me, and I was running late, and I could see an employee tidying the next shelf over, I might not. And if I didn't, I wouldn't think twice of it after leaving. But if someone with OCD/OCPD was in the same situation, my guess is that they wouldn't be able to just let it go. They certainly wouldn't be able to focus on anything else until that item was corrected.

I think ME prefers things to be neat and orderly around him, and he did seem to appreciate the results of Mike's efforts in the house. But the very fact that ME was content to let Mike rearrange his espresso cups, etc. makes me think that ME himself does not have OCD or OCPD. Perhaps it more closely related to being a surgeon? One does not enter (or succeed) in that field without a high degree of precision, attention to hygiene, and exactitude.

As for the blue polo shirt..... any chance he's doing it on purpose to befuddle the paparazzi? I believe Daniel Radcliffe wore the same outfit for months for this exact reason.

That's definitely something Martin would do...something to befuddle the paparazzi ! How does the befuddlement work? Do the same clothes make it difficult to tell one event from another and make all their photos a big mosh? My brain is operating on "dense" this evening.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Wearing the same clothing frequently is a sign of Asperger's Syndrome. Art imitates life?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.witneygazette.co.uk/news

Yikes! Somehow I didn't expect this look.
    Scroll down to Most Read list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't quite understand marchrand...elaborate on your puzzlement. He is dressed and looks like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...am I looking at the wrong thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I don't quite understand marchrand...elaborate on your puzzlement. He is dressed and looks like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle...am I looking at the wrong thing?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143129242433693/permalink/731436953602916/

This is great.
    Forum Member

Oh good point, earlgrey152; I think that’s exactly right. I imagine a field like surgery attracts people who have certain personality traits like precision to begin with. But being precise and exact has a clear purpose in surgery, which is different from having a compulsive need to arrange EVERYTHING in order to relieve anxiety. If ME had OCPD, he would either never let Mike rearrange the cups in the first place or just undo Mike’s work afterwards.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow! I think MC looks fantastically dashing! ARF!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In professional life surgeons also become used to having other people perform tasks that require attention to detail in order to advance their tasks....sometimes to a pathological state...tie my shoes..wipe my brow..meet me in the on call room. Mike's efforts could have just fit into that category. He performed the task of rearranging the kitchen, something that Martin wouldn't do, but did it in such a fashion that he found it "good". Just another task that someone did for him and he accepted.
This discussion has been closed.