9 year old falsely accused his cousins of abusing him... other family reactions?

BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I just read this in a Newspaper...

A little boy was given to his Aunt and Uncle as his mum was an alcoholic. He then said his cousins (both young teens) had abused him. The family went through hell for like a month, interviews, judgement etc.

Years later the children have grown up and it is Grandmas big birthday bash. The boy will be there and so will the two children don't want to go for obvious reasons.

However Grandma is pressuring them saying it was a long time ago and he was young and damaged and that he should be forgiven.

Could you forgive and if you were related to that family would you agree with the family or the Grandma?

Comments

• Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you got a link OP? Many thanks
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the young boy ever acknowledged that the accusations were not true ?
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What type of abuse....physical, sexual, emotional harm??
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I believed he understood the impact of his actions and was sorry then yes I would. If not, then no.
  • BrooksideBrookside Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys I am very sorry but I read it in The Sun paper and their website is now behind a pay wall so I can't get a link.

Sexual abuse. It doesn't go into great detail.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside wrote: »
    Hey guys I am very sorry but I read it in The Sun paper and their website is now behind a pay wall so I can't get a link.

I suppose the question you need to ask is how a 9 year would know what sexual abuse was.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB is enough. Tabloid trash comic with bare boobed tarts on display as "news".

Absolutely nothing on Google relating to your story.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ws it online or in the paper and was it a story or advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing on Google relating to your story.

I checked on Google aswell and there's no other articles about the alleged story.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member

A little boy was given to his Aunt and Uncle as his mum was an alcoholic. He then said his cousins (both young teens) had abused him. The family went through hell for like a month, interviews, judgement etc.

Years later the children have grown up and it is Grandmas big birthday bash. The boy will be there and so will the two children don't want to go for obvious reasons.

However Grandma is pressuring them saying it was a long time ago and he was young and damaged and that he should be forgiven.

Could you forgive and if you were related to that family would you agree with the family or the Grandma?

I'm sure i've seen this episode of SVU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was in Saturdays Sun, READ the post, it clearly says it was in the paper and that the website has a pay wall.

It was someone replying to the problem.

Jeez.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was in Saturdays Sun, READ the post, it clearly says it was in the paper and that the website has a pay wall.

It was someone replying to the problem.

Jeez.

Nothing on google. What was his name?
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    It sounds like it was on the Agony Aunts letter page, if so it's unlikely to be on google.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only if he acknowledged what he did and was truly sorry for the hurt it caused, otherwise I wouldn't be visiting the same house as him.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not many 9 year olds would be capable of accusing someone of sexual abuse unless it happened.

Just because something wasn't proved does not mean it didn't happen.

But a lot of kids do experiment together. So the OP really isnt enough to go on really.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree that there isn't enough to go on. Also, agree that it isn't something you would expect a child that young to make up.
  • LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also read this story, I have just double checked (we use the news papers for our open fires) and it is on 'dear Deidre' page. The letter states it happened 3yrs ago, the persons sons were 14 & 17, the 9yo made the allocation when he had lived with them for 6mths, social services removed the 9yo within hours, the boys and their parents were arrested and interviewed by police, after 4wks the boy admitted making it up. It also says the 9yo was in their care because his mother - the sister of the woman who wrote the letter - was an alcoholic. Deidre advised they should they should all go to the party and put their feelings aside for a few hours for the sake of the grandmother.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally if it was me I wouldn't go, the boy has already made things up, the best thing is to stay away from him, then you can never be accused of anything again...it protects you as much as anything.
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so, basically a made up story in a tabloid problem page? put the words 'sexual' & 'abuse' in there, and job done...did it also come with story board style pictures?
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with people saying a 9 year old would not know what sexual abuse was unless it happened.
    I know that children that age and younger go around calling each other Pedo`s as a insult.
    And saying things much more graphic with sexual connotations.

The younger kids in secondary school hear the older boys talking and then they in turn pass that onto the much younger kids outside of school .
    That how these things happen and it doesn't surprise me that a 9 year old would make something like that up , probably when he didn't get his own way .
    In my day the insults would be "you tramp" or "you're poor" , which bad as they are is nothing compared to what kids do and say these days .

And yes i would forgive him as he probably didn't know how serious his accusations were
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's it thanks guys, I wasn't making it up.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with people saying a 9 year old would not know what sexual abuse was unless it happened.
    I know that children that age and younger go around calling each other Pedo`s as a insult.
    And saying things much more graphic with sexual connotations.

The younger kids in secondary school hear the older boys talking and then they in turn pass that onto the much younger kids outside of school .
    That how these things happen and it doesn't surprise me that a 9 year old would make something like that up , probably when he didn't get his own way .
    In my day the insults would be "you tramp" or "you're poor" , which bad as they are is nothing compared to what kids do and say these days .

And yes i would forgive him as he probably didn't know how serious his accusations were

But I would think that once he was questioned his lack of real knowledge would become apparent.

And No a 9yo would not really understand the consequence of accusing someone of sexual abuse , they would know it was wrong but not just how wrong.
    At the same time he could have said he made it up as things went to fast and to far for him.
    Only he and the other boys know the truth.
  • johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's it thanks guys, I wasn't making it up.

I never suggested at any time that you made this up. However, you did suggest that this was a news item but it turns out it was a problem in a tabloid agony aunt page, which are all made up.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckyyem wrote: »
    I also read this story, I have just double checked (we use the news papers for our open fires) and it is on 'dear Deidre' page. The letter states it happened 3yrs ago......
    Sadly this is what counts as "news" for some folk who love soaking up such daft trash. Same kind believe Eastenders is 'real'. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Sadly this is what counts as "news" for some folk who love soaking up such daft trash. Same kind believe Eastenders is 'real'. :(

So you go onto a showbiz news website and regard that as news? That is what DS is? Isn't it?