Survivor 27 - Blood vs Water

RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
Forum Member
✭✭
Although the cast information was revealed months back, it is now officially released by CBS.

The new season premieres Wednesday 18th September in a 90 minute special.

Cast:

DATING:

Tyson Apostol, 34
Provo, Utah
Former pro cyclist/shop manager
Survivor history: Tocantins (second jury member); Heroes vs. Villains (sixth voted out)

Rachel Foulger, 33
Provo, Utah
Cocktail waitress/graphic designer

BROTHERS:

Aras Baskauskas, 31
Santa Monica
Musician
Survivor history: Panama -- Exile Island (winner)

Vytas Baskauskas, 33
Santa Monica
Yoga instructor/math professor

MARRIED:

Rupert Boneham, 49
Indianapolis
Mentor for troubled teens
Survivor history: Pearl Islands (second jury member); All Stars (sixth jury member, fan favorite winner); Heroes vs. Villains (seventh jury member)

Laura Boneham, 44
Indianapolis
Merchandiser

MARRIED:

Candice Cody, 30
Washington, D.C.
Physician, anesthesiology resident
Survivor history: Cook Islands (fifth jury member); Heroes vs. Villains (fifth jury member)

John Cody, 30
Washington, D.C.
Physician, Army orthopedic surgery resident

MARRIED:

Monica Culpepper, 42
Tampa, Fla.
Former NFL wife, homemaker
Survivor history: One World (fifth voted out)

Brad Culpepper, 44
Tampa, Fla.
Attorney and retired NFL player

ENGAGED:

Colton Cumbie, 22
Collinsville, Ala.
Student teacher
Survivor history: One World (sixth out due to medical evacuation)

Caleb Bankston, 26
Collinsville, Ala.
Post office manager/farmer

DATING:

Kat Edorsson, 23
Orlando
Full-time student/sales
Survivor history: One World (sixth jury member)

Hayden Moss, 26
Springtown, Texas
Real estate

MOTHER AND DAUGHTER:

Laura Morett, 43
Salem, Ore.
Co-owner of Morett Construction
Survivor history: Samoa (third jury member)

Ciera Eastin, 24
Salem, Ore.
Cosmetology student

UNCLE AND NIECE:

Gervase Peterson, 43
Philadelphia
Cigar lounge wwner
Survivor history: Borneo (third jury member)

Marissa Peterson, 21
Chapel Hill, N.C.
Student

MOTHER AND DAUGHTER:

Tina Wesson, 53
Robbinsville, N.C.
Motivational speaker
Survivor history: Australia (winner);All Stars (first voted out)

Katie Collins, 25
New York, N.Y.
Hedge fund support

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/21/survivor-blood-vs-water-new-cast-and-lots-of-twists-revealed/

Comments

• RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately Redemption Island is back, along with a bunch of other confusing and stupid twists:
    * For the first time ever, the game will not be 39 days long, but rather 39-and-a-half days, as the couples will begin the game the night prior to day one with a new twist titled “Day Zero.” The 10 pairs will be sent out at sunset to 10 different locations to live by themselves for the night. They will then all meet up to be officially welcomed by host Jeff Probst and start the game the next morning. “The whole idea was to try and get them thinking and maybe believing that they would play as a pair,” says Probst.

* Just minutes after congregating, the returning players and their loved ones will be split into two different tribes, with the returning players making up the yellow Galang tribe and the newbies comprising the red Tadhana tribe. “Suddenly your partner becomes your adversary, your competition,” says Probst. “And that was the whole premise of Blood Vs. Water. How is that going to play out in a game where only one person can win?”

* First impressions can be key in the game like Survivor, and that will prove true here as just moments after meeting each other, each team will vote one member off their tribe. They will later be informed that these people have not been voted out of the game, but rather will be sent to Redemption Island, which makes its return after having been absent for the past three seasons. There they will battle to stay alive and reenter the game at a later point.

* Confused yet? Well, it gets even more confusing! Jeff Probst will then immediately offer each of the loved ones of the two people voted off the opportunity to trade places with them, meaning that if, say, returning player Tina is voted out of her tribe at the start, her daughter Katie can opt to take her place at Redemption Island instead, and Tina would then join the tribe of newbies.

* As mentioned, Redemption Island is back. Anyone voted out will be sent there and will then compete in a three person duel. The last place finisher in each contest is out of the game for good, while the top two remain. However, if someone’s loved one is still in the game they can take their loved one’s place before a duel. (So if, say, Monica is at Redemption Island but her husband Brad thinks he would do better at a duel involving strength, he can swap places with her, electing to do the duel while she takes his place on his tribe. They could then swap again at the next duel if it is a contest better suited to her strengths.) “That puts blood and water to the test,” says Probst. “And we’re gonna do it at every duel. So the first time early in the game, somebody may say ‘It’s just too early.” But as those duels increase and they get closer to what they think might be a merge, their strategy is going to start to change.”

* That’s not all when it comes to Redemption Island. The person who finishes first in each duel will also get to give a clue to the location of a hidden immunity idol to any person from either tribe that they choose. “There’s all these things you can do,” says Probst. “Because for a moment, even though you’re on the outest, furthest part of the game, you have a little bit of power.”

If this doesn't turn out to be the worst season ever I'll be surprised.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the Blood vs Water theme, and I don't know why they brought Redemption Island back, never mind complicating it even further.

Pleasantly surprised by the cast though.:p I'm surprised but happy that we get to see more of Candice, and Tyson. I even quite like Laura and Aras. And it's good that a few of the very early season players are back too.

Colton and fiance + more Rupert though just ruins it though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually like a lot of the cast, in particular Aras, Kat, Tyson, Gervase and I'm super interested to see how Hayden from Big Brother does. I think the theme itself has potential. But all those twists just sound awful and unnecessary.

By the way Candice was a last minute replacement for RC who was meant to be on with her Dad but he wasn't medically cleared.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    Unfortunately Redemption Island is back, along with a bunch of other confusing and stupid twists:

If this doesn't turn out to be the worst season ever I'll be surprised.
    :mad: Agreed. Usually I'm really excited when you make a thread for the coming season. But Drupert AND the revolting Colton? Dear Lord, the only one I like sufficiently to grab my interest is Gervase.

This could possibly be the first Season I don't watch. Sadly it'll probably plummet in the ratings Stateside too, jeopardising future programmes. I'm pissed..
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Deary me, so many twists!!!

But I'm interested to see Aras again. I found him quite likeable, plus he's a bit of a chameleon. During his original season he could be the wacky spiritual guy or one of the few sane/normal people trying to keep his crazy alliance together.

Gervase was a funny character. Will be interesting to see how much he's changed. Plus it's kind of amusing that he'll break Skupin's record of the longest period of time for a returnee to come back, which will no doubt bother him.

Plus, I suppose it will be an interesting experiment to see how someone from BBUS adjusts to Survivor.

I think Jeff said he's not going to go all out in promoting a season as the best ever anymore, after Caramoan. Where he thought it was a contender for the greatest ever but the feedback from fans was that it was just okay/good and that Philippines was better.
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not liking the sound of much of this, though I guess some of the first-time returnees will be cool to see again (Gervase, Aras, Kat) and I guess Hayden (though it's not like he was particularly interesting in Big Brother anyway...)

I read about the cast a while ago (thanks Redmond ;)) but after the game started stopped reading. Really surprised to see Samoa Laura back in the cast. I think I've said in the past that I thought that she could have been a great character in her first season if they hadn't made that year "Russell + a side Shambo" but after she was pretty scathing about the editing of that season, I thought that she had burned her bridges..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems Kyle123! I did some major Survivor sleuth work this year in figuring out the cast. :D But since they started filming I've avoided all spoilers, so unlike with Caramoan, I'm going in completely fresh which is exciting. Although, like I said, the amount of twists and RI is putting me off already.

Hayden was pretty boring on Big Brother but he was a great player and I'm interested to see if can have the same success on Survivor. Both shows are very alike in their core concept and this is the first time someone will have played both - that's pretty cool.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know if Hayden was that great of a player. The Brigade just seemed to win by default because everyone else that year was so dumb. I don't mind him being included in the cast though.

Kat bugged me in One: World. She was completely useless and didn't really do anything.

I don't mind her being included that much, but I hope she steps up. Maybe Hayden will carry her along for a while.

Tina and Gervase were pretty left field editions to me! I read the spoilered cast a long time ago, but I must have forgotten those two. I am very concerned this series might just not work. It might play out like an extended friends and family visiting challenge, which I am not that thrilled about. Also, you just know the editing will be all about the returning players, as always happens with these kinds of seasons. The Rupert and his wife storyline is just something I don't want to see. I would say I am cautiously optimistic, it might have potential because of the returning players. Some of them have potential that we are yet to see really, and will probably bring the sneakiness (Laura, Tyson, Aras, Candice, Tina's daughter, Monica maybe).

Colton is repugnant, but he always brings the drama at least.

I'm leaning more towards car-crash though.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG Rupert and his tye-dye shirt is invited AGAIN? :o I am done seeing him again (+Tyson and Candice)

Good to see Aras back, probably the only hottie in this.

Jeff P is clearly doing everything he can to get good ratings. I mean - Colton? :o And why the hell is RI back? This idea totally defies the concept of Survivor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    I don't even know if Hayden was that great of a player. The Brigade just seemed to win by default because everyone else that year was so dumb. I don't mind him being included in the cast though.

I didn't appreciate Hayden's game enough at the time but looking back he was a great player, especially given how much production didn't want him to win. His social game was very good, I think everyone on the cast liked him, he maintained his composure, and held his alliance together.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Dont like the fact that they brought back redemption island. Wasnt a fan of it when it was first introduced. Not sure whats confusing about the twists, seem pretty straight forward. I like the twist where you can select which one goes into the duel. Although I dont think it will redeem the redemption island concept though.

Its good they have split up the 'partners' into different tribes, that is actually quite a clever move. And will have quite a big influence on who is voted of in each tribal council. As you will not want both partners going through to merge. You will then more than likely vote of the person that still has a partner on the other tribe, rather than who you may want to vote off. The only flaw with this idea, is that if two couples get through to the merge. All they have to do is team up (thus having 4 votes) and will have a very good chance of getting to the the final four.

I really dont like bringing back previous players. I really wish they wouldnt. It was fine for the 'All Stars' apart from that, its not really for me.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww Hell No :mad: ... Colton !! :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the preview thing with Parvarti. I think it's looking a bit better than I first expected. Looking at the cast as a whole, I was disappointed. However just looking at them individually, theres some real strong picks. Most of the loved ones, look very interesting. Liked them all really, bar Ruperts wife. And on the returnees side, I love some of the left field choices. Im a bit over Rupert, Tyson, Candice and Tina. But players like Gervase, Kat, Aras, and even Colton, will make the show interesting I think.

At the moment, I can see Hayden doing very well, he's a physical player and very likable. He wasn't particularly seen as a mastermind on BB, so he wouldn't be a threat in that sense for the other players. Will be interesting to see how he does.

But overall, I think Gervase/Marrisa are looking strongest personally. Gervase from way back season 1, so some may not remember him, so not a big threat. He's pretty athletic aswell. And she's looking strong aswell. One of them would be my personal tip.

In b4 their out early, and like Laura wins!!!
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After an awful Big Brother, I'm really hoping for a great Survivor so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    I like the look at some of the returning players, Aras is one of my favourite winners so will be interesting to see how he plays again.

Interesting concept of family vs returnees, could work, but Redemption Island being back is putting me off big time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Probst says he has no issue with having a 'Big Brother' player on.
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/15/survivor-blood-vs-water-jeff-probst-big-brother/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( I cant remember a time I was less enthusiastic about the start of a new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's new Survivor so there is always part of me that is looking forward to it, but I don't have high hopes for this season with all the twists and RI.

But I am excited about seering Aras, Kat, Gervase, and Hayden play.
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    When does the series start?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday, Sept. 18
    8 pm Survivor (Season 27 premiere, 90 minutes)
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    I would consider staying up and watching it but big brother finale is on before and I cant bare to watch one of the ghastly threesome winning.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I would consider staying up and watching it but big brother finale is on before and I cant bare to watch one of the ghastly threesome winning.

BBUS is either going to end underwhelmingly or just pain awful, there's no other place it can go. lol
    I'm glad Survivor is there to provide a distraction, but my hopes aren't exactly that high for this season. But I'm happy to see Aras, Tyson and Gervase again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be able to watch it live. Is there anywhere else I can watch it? Youtube stopped showing it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Big Brother finale is on afterwards. Survivor premiere is at 8 (1am UK). BBUS finale is on after it at 9:30 (2:30am UK). :)