Ofcom thinks virgin is the best

hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ofcom-broadband-tests-put-virgin-media-top-620092

Quite interesting really, I'm curious what everyone's reactions will be.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Well I have to say on my connection when I'm downloading from Usenet I get about 2,300 kb/s (And that's with 2 other people in this house playing WoW and getting 300ms latency). So I'm pretty happy with my connection majority of the time tbh.

Had it go to a snail pace about 3 times since I've had broadband.
  • smythcolansmythcolan Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Speed wise i can't complain, I'm getting just below 10mg but as for reliability for maintaining a service..... very poor.

I was 10 years with AOL and lost connection about 4 times, been with VM 6 months and have lost count the amount of times i have lost Broadband last i remember was about 7 times in the 6 months.

Trouble is if BB goes down you tend to loose 2 services as the TV goes as well.

Somehow unless things improve i don't think i will be continuing with VM after my 12 months is up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Virgin cable broadband works -- and I've had three episodes of problems since last October -- it really is very good.

I am some distance from the BT exchange and my ADSL experience was less than stellar. Whereas with Virgin I get the full 20Mb quota and because I don't download like a loon, I've never been STMed.

I'd give Virgin 8/10, knocking off 2 points for the 'pot luck' situation when contacting Virgin support, which to be fair are probably no worse than BT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Been on Virgin back when I lived with my mum and dad many moons ago when it was NTL. Never had any connection issue other than our postcode area went down for a bout 48 hours.

When I lived with my mate, our 20mb never went down once. Although we went on the trial for 50mb and that was up and down but meh it was a trial.

When I brought my own home a few years back and got 20mb. Its never....touch wood.... been down for more than 1 once and that was a general postcode fault too.

So in all, ive been with Cable now for 10 years? Dunno, and had 2 actual cases when its been down. Luck?
  • hankmoodyhankmoody Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Shiz wrote: »
    Been on Virgin back when I lived with my mum and dad many moons ago when it was NTL. Never had any connection issue other than our postcode area went down for a bout 48 hours.

When I lived with my mate, our 20mb never went down once. Although we went on the trial for 50mb and that was up and down but meh it was a trial.

When I brought my own home a few years back and got 20mb. Its never....touch wood.... been down for more than 1 once and that was a general postcode fault too.

So in all, ive been with Cable now for 10 years? Dunno, and had 2 actual cases when its been down. Luck?

No, I honestly think that's honestly the rule more than the exception - which to me makes the complaints I see more confounding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm fine with the service. Didn't like traffic shaping initially, but after considering it, I would rather traffic shaping than put up with caps and overage fees. After all, we aren't paying business prices, so shouldn't expect that sort of service. Been using their broadband since Telewest first introduced it - still have the original Motorola modem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What that cant be right :eek: always have problems with VM broadband :mad:
  • Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    In theory Virgin's delivery system should be the best as it offers a more advanced connection than any others. If it isn't the best, there's something wrong.
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 10mg when tested is always over 9 (it was 9.8 a few minutes ago) and the service has only ever gone down for a couple of hours and that was months ago. I find it excellent but feel that the pricing needs adjusting downwards to reflect the market.
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more than happy with my connection, rock solid reliablity, never gone down in my knowledge, also I get around 2.7MB/s transfer on a 20Mb connection! More than happy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I'm more than happy with my connection, rock solid reliablity, never gone down in my knowledge, also I get around 2.7MB/s transfer on a 20Mb connection! More than happy!

Am getting 51.68 Mb/s at the moment.
    :):D:):D

http://www.speedtest.net/result/527037758.png
  • dellaradellara Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I have been very happy with Virgin Broadband also. Good reliability and speed performance. Thank gawd the days of NTHell are behind me!
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that the reliability or not of VM Cable is down to which of the old areas you are in. Some of the old cable companies did a good job of installing the infrastructure and others didn't.
    Personally I have had VM/NTL/cable for years and have not even had one outage. My speed is constantly above 9 on a 10Mb connection.
    No way I would change to ADSL for any money...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay for 10mb, and I'm lucky if I get 5mb half the time.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im being honest here, and always have done.

Speed is usually great, almost always get atleast 75-80% of the advertised speed. Living in an urban area (Dudley)

Ive been with VM/Telewest for 10 years now, and i rarely lose the connection. Say on average once every 2-3 months for a few minutes, or once every year or 2 it goes down for usually no more than a few hours.

Something which nobody on internet forums seems to realise, is that the NTL/Telewest ducts are usually no more than a foot deep below the tarmac in the streets. BT's under-ground cables/ducts are atleast 2 or 3 times as deep, AND alot of their network is overhead.

So when the road worker guys are digging up the roads or paths, theres alot more chance of them hitting a VM cable than a BT cable. And it wasnt the cable companies that laid those ducts, they paid the the local councils and contractors who dug the roads up and laid the ducts. All the cable companies did was put their cables into the ducts.

I work on road street lighting, and believe me, things in the ground are constantly getting hit. I personly bet that atleast half of the reason parts of VM's networks keeps going down is because of road workers and rats damaging the cables.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on Virgins 20 meg and get slightly just more than that. had very few problems with them, but I gather I am quite lucky in that respect.

What Ofcom should do is bring in a minimum acceptable speed policy, so if someone is on an 'upto' 10 meg connection they should get a minimum of 9 meg.

They should also think about banning the 'upto' term as it's just another crappy get out clause.

Lets face it, broadband in the UK is years behind most countries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I cannot complain about the speeds I get with Virgin. I have 20mb and get that 95% of the time. I have only had one dropout, which was in March, and the engineers had it fixed within 2 days (cabinet fault). Customer service can be a bit of a nuisance, but I have yet to find a company that has fault-less CS.

Compared to the AWFUL service I had with BT, Virgin are like a godsend. With BT, the customer service was never good, and my 8mb speed (but really 5mb) dropped to 1mb every night for no reason. The upload speeds were poor for online gaming as well. The home hub router was alright for me though, I give them that.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The speeds are sensational and always close to what they would be . . . . BUT. . . .over the past few months I get drop outs that last about 5 minutes every half an hour.

I just got one there.

they strike swiftly and without warning and are REALLY starting to annoy me.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been impressed with Virgin, I've always got the speeds I expect, unlike with other ISPs that throttle p2p during peak times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    debs2boys wrote: »
    Am getting 51.68 Mb/s at the moment.
    :):D:):D

http://www.speedtest.net/result/527037758.png

Impossible to get faster than 75% of your rated TCP/IP speed....
    :)
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure I understand that. The poster is on the xxl 50mb tier?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I think the Good Professor is alluding to "overheads".
    If he had said "it is impossible to _average_ more than 96% of your rated speed", I might be inclined to call that a reasonable rule-of-thumb :)
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Fiber wrote: »
    I think the Good Professor is alluding to "overheads".
    If he had said "it is impossible to _average_ more than 96% of your rated speed", I might be inclined to call that a reasonable rule-of-thumb :)

OK. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Been back with virgin almost a year now and have had hardy any disconnects here, speed im on 20MBit here and is much faster then any previous isp get about 16MBit/sec download speeds on bbc iplayers tester and many other test sites,

When i was with aol talk talk (for freelaptop) sometimes outages lasted whole weekends and speed was at best 2-3MBit dispite having full 8MB connection to the BT exchage rubbish sometimes it could not mange to pay any video's on youtube

So Virgin BB 10/10
    Plusnet 8/10 and
    AOL UK Owned by TalkTalk 2/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Well if Virgin Media use TCP/IP to transfer data to the customer then we should be aware that TCP/IP has overheads. A packet has a header and other data so its not all pure user data it is carrying.

If you have a 50Mbps pipe then TCP/IP data overheads means you can only actually get ~75% of that.

I don't know how long a VM packet is, I suspect its the MTU Ethernet standard of 1500bytes. But once on the Internet it may drop.

I wrote my own Speed test script and I get 16,267,830 bits/sec (15.5Mb/sec) at a average latency of 15ms from fetching a large file from a a VirginMedia Server.

I'm on 20Mb/sec pipe so 75% is ~15Mb/s
    So my pipe is performing quite well.

If anyone wants a copy of the script, just ask.

It's a good and quick way to know if your pipe is working well. It's just a Batch script and a cmd-line program called Curl.