Options

1973..... the best of?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered this truly beautiful song.

Clifford T Ward-Gaye

ha ha, the teacher who packed his job up on the strength of the success of gaye... then bombed! scullery maid was awful really..
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Am I alone in always thinking of See My Baby Jive as a Christmas sounding record even though it was at No1 in May & June 1973? Not that I recall first hand by the way!

As for Angel Fingers, yuk.

A couple of great ones are Brother Louis by Hot Chocolate, and also Ghetto Child by Detroit Spinners. I totally love the Bobby Goldsboro hit like others have mentioned.

Of course there is an unsaid undercurrent to 1973, that some may have a secret liking for, you know who I mean, the biggest UK solo act that year.

never considered see my baby jive to sound christmassy... but now you say it i see what you mean. it was promoted as "the sound phil spectre was searching for" (and some nme wag commented in his review "its as well he didnt find it") . as spectres crimbo album has become synonymous with crimbo, i guess retrospectively i can see your point.

yeah angel fingers was crap... in fact wizzard never did produce anything the quality of see my baby jive again.... apart from their crimbo hit of course!

(last bit) nah...never did like him :p
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ha ha, the teacher who packed his job up on the strength of the success of gaye... then bombed! scullery maid was awful really..

But if Gaye was his only real legacy, that's still a better legacy than most other one-big-hit wonders.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The music was all beginning to unravel by '73, epitomised by the release of the very "safe" Dark Side of the Moon by the Floyd, which I bought on release and was very disappointed with. (And the original "Dark Side of the Moon" album by Medicine Head released the year before is much better!)

The experimentation of the late '60s and beginning of the '70s in music and the counter-culture was being replaced by corporate rock and singer-songwriter bland-outs, and the pop pap of "glam" in the UK.

Oh, and there was no Beefheart album either(and when he released two the following year they were the worst of his career).
    There were quite edgy albums from Faust, Neu!, Henry Cow, Hugh Hopper and the great Kevin Coyne, amongst many others I can't remember.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please do, ill not be doing one! :D

I am here tonight as I shall be too busy tomorrow. It will be my first Sunday off DS since the New Year weekend. Anyway, I am suddenly wondering whether to postpone launching a 1974 thread until its 40th anniversary next year? If anyone else starts a thread I shall contribute suggestions now though!
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Another great album from 1973

Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    what? no one else has an opinion on 73?... :cool:

Um, some of us weren't born. ;)

We rely on you for our musical education.

I found this song recently though, which is from 1973, Linda Lewis and Rock-A-Doodle-Doo, it's really unusual and she has such an interesting vocal range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GzhBx3YXSI

I've seen live footage as well from recently, and she's still cute, though she must be in her late 50s/early 60s so a bit old for me lol. Or actually maybe not... Linda, if you're reading this, PM me! :D
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    A Jim Croce song from 1973, I don't think he ever made any british chart.
    Bad Bad Leroy Brown - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwPRm5UMe1A

and another of my favourites from that year
    Strawbs - Part of the union
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdOCWUgwiWs
    (didn't know they performed it in Germany!)

finally
    Kevin Johnson - Rock'n'roll I Gave You All the Best Years of my Life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8t4gdsJfFM
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regards Jim Croce, mentioned above by Mike, he had major US success and ended 1973 at No1 over there with a haunting song called Time In A Bottle, which I have downloaded previously. Certainly nothing appears to have hit the mainstream UK charts for him. That song was infact a posthumous hit for him, because in September 1973 he was killed in a plane crash aged just 30. Infact he would have recently had his 70th birthday if still among us.

He sort of reminds me of Harry Chapin, another singer who passed young, and who had major US success but not a lot here, notably Cat's In The Cradle, but that was recorded in 1974.