Options

Sky Atlantic Virgin?

Comments

• Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    But if you stream legally? Blinkbox is a streaming service owned by Tesco...

"The Gold Price"
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    And? As of now they do not own VM. I was talking about now not what could happen in the future.
    The deal closes this quarter but the two organisations are acting in a joined-up way. So, last month we saw Virgin Media issue one of the world’s largest junk bonds since the end of the financial crisis to help fund its $23.3bn acquisition by Liberty Global.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e390f1a-7049-11e2-ab31-00144feab49a.html#axzz2P1cwdDP4
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could just be the usual stalling tactic.

Though I wonder if VM will be thinking of using Sky Atlantic as a 'replacement' for ESPN on the XL package? It doesn't sound like talks with BT over their sports channels are going well so this could be a reasonable bone to throw at customers who would otherwise feel as though they've lost out. And you would assume it will cost them considerably less than the £2 odd per customer they pay ESPN.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    If they get it they could include it in their David Tennant TV ad. After all it's the only Sky channel they don't mention when they say you can have what you want :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Though I wonder if VM will be thinking of using Sky Atlantic as a 'replacement' for ESPN on the XL package? It doesn't sound like talks with BT over their sports channels are going well so this could be a reasonable bone to throw at customers who would otherwise feel as though they've lost out. And you would assume it will cost them considerably less than the £2 odd per customer they pay ESPN.
    I was thinking about the XL pack situation after August as well. I wouldn't rule out Sky Atlantic, though I'm sure Virgin would not want to encourage Sky to set up more channels like this. The other channel I could see it adding to the XL pack would be Premier Sports with a guarantee that it goes HD on Virgin first.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member

This might be a sort of carrot from Sky to try and stop Virgin from doing a deal with BT to include BT Sports in one the standard packages.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,329
    Forum Member
    This what Neil Berkett said today
    I'm comfortable, in the second part of your television-related question, I'm comfortable that we have the tools to ensure that our XL customers will remain advocates. I'm hopeful that we will end up with the right solution in respect to BT sports and that may come in, in a flavor that is different from where we're looking at the moment, who knows? We're having appropriate commercial conversations as we do with all of our suppliers. I mean, clearly, sports is a little bit more emotive and it maybe hits the front page of the press all the time, but we don't really treat it any differently from any other piece of contenders. We evaluate what is worth to us and that's what we're prepared to pay and obviously at the triple point where you go above that, it's because you believe that economically, you're better without it. I'm not signaling anything from there, I'm just giving you our general philosophy as to how we approach content. I'm comfortable, to the core of your question, that we have the tools at our disposal to ensure that our XL customers remain happy.
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/1365981-virgin-media-management-discusses-q1-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    i no for a fact that sky atlantic were never be part of virgin plans
    as i got it from a source on twitter
    ok there few good programs on it most just download it so why bother with it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Twitter you say? Oh my...
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was on twitter it must be true....
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    The_Smeg wrote: »
    i no for a fact that sky atlantic were never be part of virgin plans..
    No, you really don't :rolleyes:
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no doubt that just as Sky Atlantic soon followed the release of Sky 1 to virgin, as soon as Sky agree a price for Sky Atlantic they will create another new channel and move all the new shows on that one. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Given they've just signed a multi million pound deal with Sky to let them use their fibre optic network, do you think Sky might eventually give in?
  • Options
    OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An outbreak of peace would be good for us all!
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things certainly seem less frosty than a few years ago, when Virgin pulled all of Skys channels from the network....
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    Given they've just signed a multi million pound deal with Sky to let them use their fibre optic network, do you think Sky might eventually give in?
    Unfortunately, that's a completely separate thing with Virgin Media Business so probably won't make any difference.
    BMR wrote: »
    Things certainly seem less frosty than a few years ago, when Virgin pulled all of Skys channels from the network....
    Actually it was the other way around :)
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »

The Liberty Media deal might make things a little more frosty.
  • Options
    Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,329
    Forum Member
    Seen this broadcastnow
    The prospect of Sky Atlantic becoming available to Virgin Media’s 3.8 million TV subscribers has moved closer after it emerged that talks between the two companies have reopened. ...

... Sources have indicated that the operators have now reopened negotiations and, although a deal is not imminent, they are significantly closer to agreeing a price for Sky Atlantic than they were two years ago.

One source said a “degree of realism” had entered the talks. ....

....Carriage negotiations for Sky’s other channels on Virgin Media are due to be renewed this month, at which time a deal for Sky Atlantic is likely to be discussed.

Virgin Media could also be looking to replace ESPN, which will close this summer, in its premium XL package.

It will want to ensure it keeps churn low for its top bundle and has not yet struck a deal for BT’s forthcoming sport channels. A move for a high-profile channel such as Sky Atlantic could help it retain customers.
    www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/virgin-back-in-sky-atlantic-talks/5057814.article?blocktitle=LATEST-NEWS&contentID=870
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    The Liberty Media deal might make things a little more frosty.
    Quite the opposite - Liberty's German subsidiary offers its customers Sky + boxes!
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/06/10/sky-d-extends-cable-pvr/
  • Options
    bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

Very interesting, although it has been suggested that this could well be the time for it to happen! Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I think Sky Atlantic would be a welcome replacement for ESPN. My Dad is a footy fan and even ESPN doesn't get looked at that much in our house.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Does depend on how into your sports you are. However nice Sky Atlantic might be it's not football or whatever sport you might watch on ESPN.
    It seems that sport is a bigger draw for tv subscription services than things like the Game of Thrones though.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit that I'm getting irritated by the amount of ads I'm seeing on Sky Living for Sky Atlantic shows. Last week, I was enjoying the closing moments of Hannibal on Living and they flipping interrupted last 15 seconds of dialogue with an ad for Ray Donovan on Atlantic?????