Why is it always the same guest musical acts?

MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
Forum Member
Is it just me or does it same to be the same musical guests year after year?

We always seem to get Taylor Swift, Robbie Williams, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga along with the previous years winners. It's so boring seeing the same acts all the time.

I'd love to see something different and not the usual mainstream pop such as Bastille, Jake Bugg, Hurts or other up and coming acts. It's always the same ones who just plug their records and get the free publicity whereas the ones who would benefit more, don't do it.

I wonder if it's more that these acts don't want to do it or simply don't get asked as they're not "mainstream" enough.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see Jake Bugg wanting to go on X Factor haha
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    No, me neither. But what I meant was it's the same acts over and over and no-one new - maybe he was a bad example;)

My point was there very rarely seem to be up and coming acts on there.
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because the more interesting and credible acts would find themselves utterly compromised by associating themseleves with the likes of XF. Let's see how many festivals Radihead headline if they ever did a guest slot on a SyCo show.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mybelle wrote: »

My point was there very rarely seem to be up and coming acts on there.

It's hardly in the show's interest to promote up and coming acts aside, of course, from present and past contestants ;)

The guest spots are all about hiring the biggest available names who in the producers' estimation will help maintain the profile of the show and pull in a few more casual viewers. I suppose an argument could be made that new and different names would enhance the programme's credibility and bring in an audience who wouldn't be likely to watch otherwise, but I'm not sure how much substance such a case would have. Seems more likely to me that each time a lesser-known artist featured, their own fans might tune in for the occasion but would be unlikely to return the following week.
  • GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    Don't they just ask those that are currently in the country.

And Chic certainly haven't been on before have they?

But Lady Gaga I could have done without. Her performance was abysmal to go with an abysmal couple of songs.

I liked her when she first started cos she was different and I liked her songs.

Now she's turned into a joke of herself she's gone way beyond weird for being weird just for the sake of being weird.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies. It all does make sense what you're all saying. I guess the answer is to tape it and fast forward the musical acts if I don't like them. :D
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comment wrote: »
    I can't see Jake Bugg wanting to go on X Factor haha

I would jump off the nearest bridge if he did. Can you imagine him and Abi on the same stage..talk about a fun vacuum.
    Forum Member
    rbdcay wrote: »
    I would jump off the nearest bridge if he did. Can you imagine him and Abi on the same stage..talk about a fun vacuum.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »

I caught a little big of Mr Bugg at Glastonbury this year and he was too dull for me - million times better than Abi though.