animal cruelty

If i was a snake i would not want to be poked at and prodded. Do they not think of the stress some of these animals may be feeling? Let alone those that die...

Comments

• AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Now this is a very interesting topic.

Animal/ pet types threads often get quite emotive and polarising opinions on DS. I've even seen one thread where the moral debate was who would you save first if they were drowning- a human baby or a kitten/ puppy and to me, incredibly some people said they would save the pet.

To all those that advocate equality for all animals, I'm intrigued to know if they feel the same about, not just a snake being prodded, but live insects etc being eaten, rats being trodden on etc. Is it just the cuddly cute ones that matter? Who's sticking up for the poor much maligned Witchetty grubs eh?

Let the games commence.
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »

Animal/ pet types threads often get quite emotive and polarising opinions on DS. I've even seen one thread where the moral debate was who would you save first if they were drowning- a human baby or a kitten/ puppy and to me, incredibly some people said they would save the pet.

To all those that advocate equality for all animals, I'm intrigued to know if they feel the same about, not just a snake being prodded, but live insects etc being eaten, rats being trodden on etc. Is it just the cuddly cute ones that matter? Who's sticking up for the poor much maligned Witchetty grubs eh?

Let the games commence.

i also am concerned for the insects. They are all animals.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let the games commence.

I certainly feel the same in regards to the insects. It's when they eat them live that it irritates me, it's just needlessly cruel.

I choose not to eat meat etc, but I don't preach and judge those who do, but i think eating something live is over the line.

I watch this show out of habit (I only changed my eating habits this year, for some reason this stuff only started crossing my mind earlier this year), but I hope there isn't an "eating live bugs" trial this year, I'd probably not watch that one if so. I'm sure it is to come.

As for the animals in the other trials, I assume they're treated well by the staff on set.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let the games commence.

It makes me feel uncomfortable whatever animal/insect is involved as it shows a total lack of respect for nature. However, if it was puppies and kittens I wouldn't watch at all and when they use the rats, they don't drop them from a height, but I do worry about them being squashed.
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let the games commence.

I would always save the puppy/kitten over a human . 100%
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I certainly feel the same in regards to the insects. It's when they eat them live that it irritates me, it's just needlessly cruel.

I choose not to eat meat etc, but I don't preach and judge those who do, but i think eating something live is over the line.

I watch this show out of habit (I only changed my eating habits this year, for some reason this stuff only started crossing my mind earlier this year), but I hope there isn't an "eating live bugs" trial this year, I'd probably not watch that one if so. I'm sure it is to come.

As for the animals in the other trials, I assume they're treated well by the staff on set.

I'm not really an animal lover, nor not really a fan of this show but I'm watching tonight. During Kian's trial Ant or Dec said something like "move past the rats carefully try not to hurt them" when Kian was in a tunnel underground in pitch black, which I thought was ridiculous.

The eating trials are gross. If you are eating for hunger, then fine, but for entertainment it just seems a bit wrong.

And as for your comment "As for the animals in the other trials, I assume they're treated well by the staff on set" - how can packing loads of spiders/cockroaches/ants in a suitcase for the sole purpose to be dumped on someones head/body/face whilst they swat them away or crush them be deemed as well treated!?
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as for your comment "As for the animals in the other trials, I assume they're treated well by the staff on set" - how can packing loads of spiders/cockroaches/ants in a suitcase for the sole purpose to be dumped on someones head/body/face whilst they swat them away or crush them be deemed as well treated!?

I was referring to the non-insects. Insects are swatted on a daily basis, you do it without even noticing, and I'm sure only a minority of the many bugs in the trials will actually be crushed. But, yes, collecting them up purely to be used in these trials is unfair when you think about it.

As I say, I watch out of habit, these issues never used to really cross my mind but this year they are and it is admittedly marring my enjoyment. :o
    Forum Member
    What about a crazed rat?

I'm kidding of course but then I hope you are too. My question to you therefore is this- Please tell me why you deem a puppy/ kitten not just equal to a human baby but actually more important.

I'm not trying to be rude but I find that genuinely astonishing.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO the species 'more important' depends on the situation.

If someone was putting human babies into a box to be crushed and kicked around for entertainment, I'd be horrified, I feel the same about rats and roaches.

'crazed' animals are usually in fear for their lives, to put the through that for fun is unacceptable IMHO.
  • ShedheddShedhedd Posts: 1,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if you are joking, but when you think about it we have the "Royal" Society for for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, but only the "National" Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children. Suggesting that we in this country think more of animals than we do children.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    It's the trials done in complete darkness that worry me. As intoxication said, it is a bit pointless Ant and Dec telling Kian to be careful not to hurt the rats if he can't actually SEE them :rolleyes:.

When the celebs are racing against time, crawling through a cramped space full of rats, snakes and insects in pitch darkness, frantically grabbing around trying to find stars and knocking things out of the way, it is inevitable that some of the animals will get injured. If you can't see them how do you avoid tredding or kneeling on them?

We are used to seeing Doctor Bob rushing to attend to the celebes with any bites or scratches and insects up noses etc, but what about the poor crushed animals? Do they get medical treatment for the damage caused to them during these trials? :(
  • ishinaishina Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snakes are almost entirely instinctual. They will forget you are there if you stop moving for long enough.

Not that causing them harm is ok, since they still have the capacity to feel pain and suffer. But they wont feel 'stress' as we understand it.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange because I'm not a great insect lover but when they had to hold those stick insects in their mouth I actually felt genuinely sorry for them. No wonder that spider bit him. How would HE like it being shoved into someones mouth alive?

And I simply don't get the fear of snakes and rats when so many people keep them as pets. I don't like to see animal cruelty in any form but more so in the name of light entertainment.
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    'crazed' animals are usually in fear for their lives, to put the through that for fun is unacceptable IMHO.

Ha, TBF I only said 'crazed' rat as I was responding to a poster called demonic rodent! Sorry for the confusion.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the reason I don't watch the bloody program - I watched it once and seeing someone eat a large wriggling live grub was cruel - all in the name of "entertainment" :mad: pisses me right off.
  • FoxyRoxiFoxyRoxi Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was referring to the non-insects. Insects are swatted on a daily basis, you do it without even noticing, and I'm sure only a minority of the many bugs in the trials will actually be crushed. But, yes, collecting them up purely to be used in these trials is unfair when you think about it.

As I say, I watch out of habit, these issues never used to really cross my mind but this year they are and it is admittedly marring my enjoyment. :o
    I remember a couple of years ago this was brought up and they did a feature on the insects they use.
    They are especially bred in their thousands in sterile conditions so they are free from disease ect, the film industry also use the same firm, they are careful to use insects that are indigenous to the area as its inevitable that a few escape during trials.