Directgov Jobs Website Full Of Scams and Dodgy Adverts

Anyone else noticed that about 98% of the jobs are full of scams, for example dodgy catalogue adverts work from home etc.

And links to other scam websites for jobs that just do not exist. This has been going on for a year now and the job centre are doing nothing about it.

An entire site run by the government with desperate and vulnerable people who are wasting time searching dodgy stuff. It worries me so many blatant scams are asking for CV's full of personal information and this government seem to do nothing about it.

Comments

• bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else noticed that about 98% of the jobs are full of scams, for example dodgy catalogue adverts work from home etc.

And links to other scam websites for jobs that just do not exist. This has been going on for a year now and the job centre are doing nothing about it.

An entire site run by the government with desperate and vulnerable people who are wasting time searching dodgy stuff. It worries me so many blatant scams are asking for CV's full of personal information and this government seem to do nothing about it.

means they can claim there's loads of jobs for the workshy scroungers
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't exaggerate, there's only a few of them, but no matter what i will NOT put my details into them

just avoid them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no

what the problem is the utter INCOMPETENCY of it!!!

not only is the keyword search completely useless in it, but it's the general format of the job applications!

from single paragraphs to elaborate forms

it's a mess basically
  • NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are almost everywhere, not just the Gov website. Gumtree is notorious for them type of jobs. For example I saw one job on there that requires you to earn £12K - £30K per year just for filling in surveys from home. For each survey you will earn anything between 50p and £5. Now if the surveys you do go for £5 a pop, say, I worked out to earn at least £12K you need to do about 35 surveys per day. Imagine that!
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full of crap jobs with crap money.Lots of temp stuff too.
    The Eastern Europeans think nothing of it.
  • InnocentGuyInnocentGuy Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    So I take it anybody including robots and submit new job adverts on this website, I once applied for a hotel management job in London and once I submitted my details I made further checks to find the 'luxury hotel' near hyde park was a youth hostel who knew nothing about the advert and they told me they had received over 100 worried applicants.

I later found out that credit applications had been made on my name including a £450,000 mortgage and various credit cards etc. When I called the job centre direct gov website they said its happening everywhere and they did not have the ability to delete the advert as the site is owned by an American company.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Directgov is a terrible job search site. You can check if an employer has viewed your CV... almost none do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    don't exaggerate, there's only a few of them, but no matter what i will NOT put my details into them

just avoid them

I guess it depends where in the country you are.

Every second job I see is from Jobs Warehouse.

But do a Google search for Jobs Warehouse. You wont find anything, no website, no company registration details, nothing.

In fact all they seem to do is cut and paste the text of job adverts from other existing websites.

They may be a legitimate company, but if they are why is there no information about them to be found anywhere?.

Use Indeed.co.uk instead. It's a site that searches and aggregates job adverts from the more popular and mainstream job search websites. You don't actually apply through Indeed, instead you are taken to the jobs website, agency or company to apply direct via the original advert.

That is how UJM should have been designed.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I've done a job searche
    I have noticed a load of jobs for market research. Then it takes you to a website called Lightspeed. I want to get a job not do all these market rubbish.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet IDS thinks it is a wonderful site - he said it is breaking the mould. I do wonder what his senior civil servants tell him all the time as they obviously don't tell him the truth. The truth being the Universal Jobmatch website is a load of crap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah
    and they're being counted as ONE ACTUAL JOB POSITION too!!!

the basic LIE of the job vacancy figures from the bunch of retarded monkeys administrating the site ..... IF they are administrating it at all!

it's rubbish and needs throwing out
  • talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a load of crap, even my advisor said it was. It is so crap that I was sanctioned for not using it enough. My advisor saved a job for me, sounded good on lines of "Administration Clerk wanted for .... lies and waffles about how good company is.....Allowed to work at home several days a week, blah blah.."

Turns out all that is required is to register online then sent about 2 surveys a month which you will be "rewarded" for completing. Utter turd. She phoned someone up to point this out, but nothing was done about removing it as it was still there a week later
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's monstrous.
  • dgi_mdgi_m Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    You can check if an employer has viewed your CV.
    Where? How?

I added about 1000 hidden keywords to my CV because I figured that's how they would search them, but never had any calls.

I'm also interested to know how my CV appears to potential employers - whether they see it in the format it is uploaded, or if it just collates all text in the document into an unformatted page?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dgi_m wrote: »
    Where? How?

I added about 1000 hidden keywords to my CV because I figured that's how they would search them, but never had any calls.

Employers know about that dodge.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    What bugged me more when I was helping my younger brother to find a job, when I would type in Liverpool to the location and then all the job posts that came up for Newcastle, London, Cornwall. If you're going to ask for a location then make sure your search function is capable of finding jobs close to it
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rubbish.
  • dgi_mdgi_m Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Employers know about that dodge.
    How do they combat it?

If using this trick gets them to look at my CV then it's worked.

I doubt that someone recruiting for a position will read every CV they receive individually. If they narrow their search by looking for certain skills and qualifications then fair enough, but if they are lazy enough to refine the search using keywords then why shouldn't I be included?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's so clumsy.

It's a terrible site, the old site used to be much better.
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    What bugged me more when I was helping my younger brother to find a job, when I would type in Liverpool to the location and then all the job posts that came up for Newcastle, London, Cornwall. If you're going to ask for a location then make sure your search function is capable of finding jobs close to it

Yep I had a similar experience when searching for jobs within 10 miles of Leeds and it came up with the likes of Gravesend and Maidstone :confused: I have also seen quite a few of those 'work from home' market research type jobs along with 'Jobs Warehouse' and 'Company Confidential' Finding a job is hard enough these days without these dodgy adverts as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dgi_m wrote: »
    How do they combat it?

If using this trick gets them to look at my CV then it's worked.

I doubt that someone recruiting for a position will read every CV they receive individually. If they narrow their search by looking for certain skills and qualifications then fair enough, but if they are lazy enough to refine the search using keywords then why shouldn't I be included?

I was told about it on a CV-writing course. I suppose an employer might regard the hidden keywords as being deceptive (if you really had those qualities then why hide them?).
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should just go back to the old website.
    Forum Member
    elle77 wrote: »
    Yep I had a similar experience when searching for jobs within 10 miles of Leeds and it came up with the likes of Gravesend and Maidstone :confused: I have also seen quite a few of those 'work from home' market research type jobs along with 'Jobs Warehouse' and 'Company Confidential' Finding a job is hard enough these days without these dodgy adverts as well

I was on it this morning and noticed "Company Confidential" an awful lot.

Thought it was very weird, one or two companies not listing their names fine, but there were loads of them, and so once again alarm bells and I avoided applying for any of them.
    Forum Member
    It should just go back to the old website.

The old site was actually generally useful, decently set out and easy to use.

I understand they had to make changes, especially with them wanting people to electronically sign on and have the ability for JC staff to check up on clients etc. but they, well Monster anyway, have created a complete mess of a site.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the own Monster website looks better then the JC site, It may be intentional for that reason:

http://www.monster.co.uk