I just love John Hurt :-)

2»

Comments

• SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Hurt's Doctor is a nice breath of fresh air; older and wiser with not so much playing to the kiddies.
    Helbore wrote: »
    Why do you have to talk like children? Why are you so ashamed of being an adult?

Here is hope that Peter Capaldi brings some of John Hurt to the role of the Doctor. That he brings some of that style, that adultness to the role, that John Hurt gave. Yet he still had humor and wit. Here is looking forward to 2014 and the new Doctor.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    Here is hope that Peter Capaldi brings some of John Hurt to the role of the Doctor. That he brings some of that style, that adultness to the role, that John Hurt gave. Yet he still had humor and wit. Here is looking forward to 2014 and the new Doctor.

I think he will and that is partly why Hurt was given those lines.

The Doctor became some what "child-like" and didn't want to be adult as a result of destroying Gallifrey.

Now that Gallifrey has been restored (kind of) he will revert to a more Classic styled Doctor. At least for this incarnation.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Hurt blew me away with his performance in Day of the Doctor. He brought real gravitas to the role. You could see the torture in his eyes. He always plays those kind of roles well, but to make it work, as he did, in the relatively whimsical context of the new version of Dr Who was especially impressive.
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    I've always really liked John Hurt. He was brilliant in The Day of the Doctor IMO, so haunted and yet with such wonderful wit and banter with Matt and David. His inclusion as a new mature Doctor seemed to be a pointer to the future and the equally brilliant Capaldi, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt the War Doctor was great, and a fantastic surprise on what I thought he would be.

We we first saw him at the end of "The Name of the Doctor", I really thought he was going to be Valeyard material, maybe even the main villain of the 50th. From what we heard about him, I thought he was going to be a cruel monster, someone truly distant from who the Doctor is.

However, in "The Day of the Doctor", I was surprised by what I saw in him. In the shack, him turning over the Moment and asking where the big red button was made me smirk. When he shooed the Moment interface out of the room, it made me laugh. When he talked to the Moment about his decision to end the War, it made me think.

Nine, Ten and Eleven weren't broken, desperate men because War pushed the button; He pushed the button because he was broken and desperate. He was perhaps the most Doctor of all the Doctors.

John Hurt had only one performance as the Doctor, but made him a fully realized character. That's saying something considering he had to share screen time with two other Doctor, each of which had several years to develop their characters.

Despite not being numbered, I always try put in a little "War" between Eight and Nine when counting the Doctors.
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always really liked John Hurt. He was brilliant in The Day of the Doctor IMO, so haunted and yet with such wonderful wit and banter with Matt and David. His inclusion as a new mature Doctor seemed to be a pointer to the future and the equally brilliant Capaldi, IMO.

I hope that we see a little of the "War" Doctor in Capaldi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    I hope that we see a little of the "War" Doctor in Capaldi.

Heh, was rewatching Day of the Doctor this morning and noticed a little funny moment that I suspect is unintentional but might point to this...

The Daleks are bombarding Gallifrey, the three Doctors have a plan but they don't seem bothered. The other 9 Doctors show up and start doing stuff but still, eh, we'll just keep on doing what we're doing, we've got this. 13 arrives... FIRE! FIRE EVERYTHING! You can practically see the pepperpots wetting themselves at just a pair of eyebrows. :D

As for John Hurt, oh he was magnificent. But then again, wouldn't we expect him to be? He's too good an actor not to deliver something special and with Moffat on scripting duties there was always going to be something interesting here. Talking of which one of my favourite things in DotD is keeping an eye on Matt in the background whenever John is talking about loss and sacrifice. You can see everything written on Matt's face as his Doctor remembers it and it's a wonderful joint performance, you really believe that they're the same man separated by centuries. Not to say that David isn't great too of course, just that his Doctor has always been more angry than sad so he doesn't get the same sort of scenes / reactions.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :):):)
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Heh, was rewatching Day of the Doctor this morning and noticed a little funny moment that I suspect is unintentional but might point to this...

The Daleks are bombarding Gallifrey, the three Doctors have a plan but they don't seem bothered. The other 9 Doctors show up and start doing stuff but still, eh, we'll just keep on doing what we're doing, we've got this. 13 arrives... FIRE! FIRE EVERYTHING! You can practically see the pepperpots wetting themselves at just a pair of eyebrows. :D

As for John Hurt, oh he was magnificent. But then again, wouldn't we expect him to be? He's too good an actor not to deliver something special and with Moffat on scripting duties there was always going to be something interesting here. Talking of which one of my favourite things in DotD is keeping an eye on Matt in the background whenever John is talking about loss and sacrifice. You can see everything written on Matt's face as his Doctor remembers it and it's a wonderful joint performance, you really believe that they're the same man separated by centuries. Not to say that David isn't great too of course, just that his Doctor has always been more angry than sad so he doesn't get the same sort of scenes / reactions.

What I love about The Day of the Doctor is that in my view it allows the featured Doctors - past, present and future - to shine. (As The Night of the Doctor did with McGann. :))

I'm one of those who thought that Matt, though a very good actor, wasn't best served by all of his stories during his tenure, but I totally agree with your comments. I love his scene with Tom, too. (:cry:) In both cases, they are absolutely the same man, and the same goes for the wonderful Tennant. Hurt was so great in his one appearance, it feels to me like he's been there all the time - I hope we get to see him again. And I really, really can't wait for Capaldi to start. :) :kitty: :cool:
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I love about The Day of the Doctor is that in my view it allows the featured Doctors - past, present and future - to shine. (As The Night of the Doctor did with McGann. :))

I'm one of those who thought that Matt, though a very good actor, wasn't best served by all of his stories during his tenure, but I totally agree with your comments. I love his scene with Tom, too. (:cry:) In both cases, they are absolutely the same man, and the same goes for the wonderful Tennant. Hurt was so great in his one appearance, it feels to me like he's been there all the time - I hope we get to see him again. And I really, really can't wait for Capaldi to start. :) :kitty: :cool:

I have only just remembered where I have seen him before (only from seeing a picture in a TV guide!:)) - he portrayed Balthazar in BBC1's The Natavity!:)