The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    FluffyBunnykins
    Finger?:confused::o
    wiggles247 wrote: »
    It's either too late, I'm too tired or I'm just being a bit slow but I don't get it - sorry!!!

Finger Nayl(or) :blush::blush::blush: - did actually click with me just as I shut down my laptop last night, honest, so I'd say definitely me being a bit slow.

With regard to the discussion about Zosia/Guy I also don't think things have got past the point of no return yet - one stand up row and a few more private 'moments' of conflict being fairly par for the course in most Holby relationships.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm new to this thread but have been watching Holby for a while. I missed about 4 episodes prior to this week's and just wondered if somebody would be able to tell me if Michael has left? I can't remember seeing him in the opening titles (I may have not been paying enough attention though). Thanks

I'm not particularly keen on Guy. He doesn't seem particularly likeable which I feel is the problem with a lot of the recently introduced Holby characters. It feels as though it's in the doldrums just lately. I think the addition of Marie-Clare full time though was a great decision. I wasn't keen on her before, but now imo she's one of the better characters. I hope they don't lose any more of the longer serving cast members anytime soon because Jac, Elliott and Ric make the show for me. I like some of the others (Digby, Serena and Marie-Clare) but I feel the show will be lost if any of J, E and R leave.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Welcome JB92.

Yes, Michael left about a month ago but it is unclear whether this is a break of a few months or he is gone for good. The press release was a little vague and people have interpreted in different ways.

Plot wise, he got over involved with a Patient again and broke the Transplant laws by taking a Relative's organ without consultation with the Transplant teams and when he knew the Donor was seriously ill himself. The operation considerably shortened the Donor's life expectancy. The Donor did, I emphasis want to proceed whatever but he still broke the rules so has been suspended for 3 months pending a full enquiry. Spence is using the time to visit his family in America after having finally talked to Sacha about him trying to get Chrissie to run off with him.

So, he could be back in a couple of months for the enquiry or they could just have one line to explain the tribunal had found against him and he no longer works at the Hospital and won't be back at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Welcome JB92.

Yes, Michael left about a month ago but it is unclear whether this is a break of a few months or he is gone for good. The press release was a little vague and people have interpreted in different ways.

Plot wise, he got over involved with a Patient again and broke the Transplant laws by taking a Relative's organ without consultation with the Transplant teams and when he knew the Donor was seriously ill himself. The operation considerably shortened the Donor's life expectancy. The Donor did, I emphasis want to proceed whatever but he still broke the rules so has been suspended for 3 months pending a full enquiry. Spence is using the time to visit his family in America after having finally talked to Sacha about him trying to get Chrissie to run off with him.

So, he could be back in a couple of months for the enquiry or they could just have one line to explain the tribunal had found against him and he no longer works at the Hospital and won't be back at all.

Thanks kitkat1971. That sounds like it was a good episode. I hope this is only a short break and he does return permanently. Just a question from this week's episode, did anyone else think that Guy should not have used the term 'motor' when referring to part of the brain. I mean I understood the term, but thought that some of the GP would not understand this and that this would be classed as medical jargon, which medical students would be discouraged from using. Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic.
  • Options
    sohvimussohvimus Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    Just a question from this week's episode, did anyone else think that Guy should not have used the term 'motor' when referring to part of the brain. I mean I understood the term, but thought that some of the GP would not understand this and that this would be classed as medical jargon, which medical students would be discouraged from using. Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic.

The motor strip/area lines? There is a part of the brain which is very commonly called "the motor cortex" as it's the part of the brain which plays a part with planning, control and execution of voluntary movements.

(And yes, considering that GPs have a lot of different kinds of conditions to deal with not all terms are familiar to them, we have had GPs phoning in and asking about perfectly official medical terms, not jargon, we have written into our blood film reports. In other words, we sometimes have to "dumb down" our reports for GPs and not always use detailed medical terms.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    sohvimus wrote: »

(And yes, considering that GPs have a lot of different kinds of conditions to deal with not all terms are familiar to them,

I think GP was short for General Public rather than General Practitioner there...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lucien_Di wrote: »
    I think GP was short for General Public rather than General Practitioner there...

Professional hazard. :D (Whenever in the news they have spoken about the company BP (=British Petroleum), the first thing that comes to my mind is "blood pressure"!)

For what it's worth, as far as the motor cortex is concerned, I've never heard any other, more Latinate, name for it, therefore I would not class using the word "motor" as being medical jargon, in fact I felt that since Guy was explaining the situation for the partner of the patient, he was actually making it more understandable for her. She might not have understood what the word "cortex" means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sohvimus I have another questiion which was posed by clover in her PLA review but which I also thought of (even though I think I know the answer was just wanting to check) and you certainly seem like the right person to ask...

When the lab got the sample of blood that Harry took from the dog would they be able to identify it as being non-human (my gut instint is yes so would have thought ?'s would have been asked).

Agree with you about the motor strip comment by the way. I'd say its definitely easier to understand than using the term cortex and didn't he (or possibly Colette??) then explain what that was in a bit more detail??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sohvimus I have another questiion which was posed by clover in her PLA review but which I also thought of (even though I think I know the answer was just wanting to check) and you certainly seem like the right person to ask...

When the lab got the sample of blood that Harry took from the dog would they be able to identify it as being non-human (my gut instint is yes so would have thought ?'s would have been asked).

I did think about it when I read her review of the episode. I don't know how much dogs' blood (for example things like haemoglobin, or liver enzymes) differ from a humans, but I would not be surprised if they were in some ways very/somewhat different and any drastic change or being totally off the scale, in terms of fitting into the reference ranges would be noticed in the lab and any such results would be phoned to the ward and staff would have to act on them. It then could very well be that then it would be noticed that the patient's clinical status would not correspond with the lab results (because I would expect Harry and MC would have labelled the samples as Paddy's) and that would raise questions.

So, there is a possibility that some results could easily be such that would indicate danger of life in the (human) patient, but would be normal in a dog, but I am not entirely sure. Other than that a normal hospital lab cannot tell from the way the sample looks that it's not human blood.

Though the fact that the dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis, which is something that Paddy himself could also have. But there is no way I could tell whether a dog's amylase and lipase levels correspond to human ones, either in sickness or in health, as I said above, I don't know how much they generally differ from people's levels. I would not expect them to be entirely identical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did think about it when I read her review of the episode. I don't know how much dogs' blood (for example things like haemoglobin, or liver enzymes) differ from a humans, but I would not be surprised if they were in some ways very/somewhat different and any drastic change or being totally off the scale, in terms of fitting into the reference ranges would be noticed in the lab and any such results would be phoned to the ward and staff would have to act on them. It then could very well be that then it would be noticed that the patient's clinical status would not correspond with the lab results (because I would expect Harry and MC would have labelled the samples as Paddy's) and that would raise questions.

So, there is a possibility that some results could easily be such that would indicate danger of life in the (human) patient, but would be normal in a dog, but I am not entirely sure. Other than that a normal hospital lab cannot tell from the way the sample looks that it's not human blood.

Though the fact that the dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis, which is something that Paddy himself could also have. But there is no way I could tell whether a dog's amylase and lipase levels correspond to human ones, either in sickness or in health, as I said above, I don't know how much they generally differ from people's levels. I would not expect them to be entirely identical.

Thanks for that - you would imagine there'd be an identifiable difference between canine and human blood wouldn't you?? So, SOR again (although you'd have thought they could have explained by Harry saying that he'd charmed one of the lab workers into doing it 'no questions asked' wouldn't you?)

Also, not sure if this has already been mentioned on this thread but just in case it hasn't = Rosie and Michael will be appearing on Lorraine tomorrow (not Tues) morning to talk about Jac and Jonny's up-coming storyline
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well of course you can ask you just shouldn't be surprised when a person who dislikes a character finds it hard to think of more than a few (and some of them back-handed/ +ve mixed with -ve)

I'm sure if I asked kitkat to think of 10 complimentary things to say about Chrissie or MsWilder the same for Tara or you Dante about a character you didn't like (?Oliver) they and you might struggle (and I've only picked out the other two because they've made their views on the characters concerned very clear - no favouritisn here!!).

It seems obvious to me that if you intrinsically dislike a character you will find it harder to see the good in them and that it will colour your views of how they behave. Just the same as if you really like a character it will too. So for example, I'm a fully signed up member of the Jac appreciation club which makes me far more willing to overlook/excuse (but not ignore) her sometimes appalling behaviour (helped by Rosie's brilliant portrayal and the fact that we know so much about her backstory and why she is why she is) than I was, say Imelda's or even Chrissie (who, although I didn't actively dislike as a character, definitely wasn't one of my favourites)

And apologies if I seem to be stating the obvious here (and I'm sure that both you and George have probably said this much better in your posts)!!

Also, have to thank you both for giving me something else Holby-related to think about = next time there's a big HC event (wedding, or heaven forbid funeral!) I will now be checking to make sure that all the suits are ironed :)
    Boy Valentine wouldn't be that difficult to list because he was ok before the exam paper switch so most of the 10 would be from before then. Top of the list would obviously be his love for the delectable Tara. [Still miss her :(]
    Actually, you were the one who asked me to do that.
    I wasn't asking/telling, it was more of a note to self and a cheeky one liner to your 3 paragraphed reply.

I]Another note to self, remember the smilies when attempting forum humour[/I
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boy Valentine wouldn't be that difficult to list because he was ok before the exam paper switch so most of the 10 would be from before then. Top of the list would obviously be his love for the delectable Tara. [Still miss her :(]

Oh Dante - you old romantic you!:D! (and that's from AFTER the exam paper switch)
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Dante - you old romantic you!:D! (and that's from AFTER the exam paper switch)
    I was Tara's biggest fan from her first episode, nothing she did changed that. I'm surprised more people didn't love her as much as I did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was Tara's biggest fan from her first episode, nothing she did changed that. I'm surprised more people didn't love her as much as I did.

Yep, sort of got that :). It must have been love if post-exam switch Oli's love for her is your no. 1 compliment for him!!!

ETA: Oh, and I'm sure there are quite a few people on here who could (and may well) give you a whole list of reasons why she wasn't their favourite!
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they at Hogwarts? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    William Tudor-Bass... stepped into Holby straight from Jeeves and Wooster. :D

(Yes, Robert Daws did play his part in the famous Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry series back in the day...)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Ginger level pain-relief"? Hidden reference to COupling there? "Steve, get me a ****ING EPIDURAL!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Tudor-Bass... stepped into Holby straight from Jeeves and Wooster. :D

(Yes, Robert Daws did play his part in the famous Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry series back in the day...)
    Or the pompous twonk reading 1 Corinthians 13 in 4 Weddings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "all the old hits" - hmm - TOTP1979 here we come..
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Or Simon Eastman - the hospital's administrator in season 7 of Casualty.

"Get on Social Networking - all 5 wives can poke you at once".
  • Options
    chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    What a massively tedious episode^_^
  • Options
    ArtemsGirlArtemsGirl Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I love Jack she's hilarious
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    "Ginger level pain-relief"? Hidden reference to COupling there? "Steve, get me a ****ING EPIDURAL!"

Red hair women do have a tendency to bleed more after childbirth, fact I learnt doing nursing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is the best episode of Holby I've seen in a while
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Is that Micheal Landes from Love Soup?
This discussion has been closed.