BBC3 or BBC4 Faces Axe

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this move goes ahead quickly, it wasn't really worth launching BBC Three HD, was it?
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think most of the BBC Three programmes shown online will eventually be shown on BBC One and Two late at night.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thought..... Where am I gonna watch family guy/ American dad

Second thought.... How am I gonna watch doctor who when I'm stuck at work on a saturday night.

I player doesn't seem to work on my I pad.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    I pay a licence fee to provide me with over-the-air TV and radio stations, not to support an internet streaming service.

On the rare occasions I need to watch a TV programme on a PC I can find it "elsewhere" and in much better technical quality than on iPlayer.
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 1500kbps stuttering unicast iPlayer stream can't be compared with broadcast quality. There is no indication that any new technology will be used for this - just the existing BBC Three facilities on iPlayer.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this move goes ahead quickly, it wasn't really worth launching BBC Three HD, was it?

I don't think it will be quick. It has to be approved by the BBC Trust who will want to consult widely before making a decision. When 6Music faced the axe, I think the date put forward as the earliest possible date for its closure was more than a year after the initial announcement, possibly much longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member

Unless they're using the space for BBC ONE+1 HD.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so bbc3 will be online only, how modern.
    but what if u r not online, maybe the broadband is very poor where u live. my broadband is good enough but even so 2 saturdays running i lost broadband, one for my isp doing maintenance, the other due to a workman cutting thru a cable at the local exchange. freeview + freesat worked though.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for those bbc viewers that wont b able to see bbc3 online, will they get a reduction in their license fee? they will b getting one channel less than now, and the psb status of the bbc goes out the window. anyone remember platform neutrality?
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    for those bbc viewers that wont b able to see bbc3 online, will they get a reduction in their license fee? they will b getting one channel less than now, and the psb status of the bbc goes out the window. anyone remember platform neutrality?

No but this is the price BBC viewers pay for enjoying a frozen licence fee for 6 years, plus the BBC having to take on S4C & World Service.

And they are being platform neutral - they are eliminating the linear channel on all platforms. Don't think the rule applies to 'online bonus content' which is effectively all that will be left.
    Forum Member
    No but this is the price BBC viewers pay for enjoying a frozen licence fee for 6 years, plus the BBC having to take on S4C & World Service.

It's also the price for maintaining a top-heavy management structure and paying huge golden handshakes to senior executives who were fired for incompetence.

The entire cost of BBC3 could be recovered simply by ending annual payments to BSkyB for the carriage of BBC programming, an arrangement unique in the broadcasting world.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »

The entire cost of BBC3 could be recovered simply by ending annual payments to BSkyB for the carriage of BBC programming, an arrangement unique in the broadcasting world.

That has already ended. It only saves £4.5m/yr so it would take quite a few years to recover the cost of running BBC3 for a year!
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    That has already ended.

Okay thanks, I hadn't heard.

The annual figure was also a lot less than I thought I had read. (I thought it was in the region of £80m per year).

I still think the BBC should charge BSkyB for carrying its programmes, as per every other content provider in the world.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    How does this save money?
    The programmes and rights still have to be produced/paid for even for an on-line only channel. Unless the bandwidth for BBC3 is sold to another broadcaster it will be idle, (unless of course we get a part time BBC1+1 out of it), and wont generate any income.
    It won't. Abolishing BBC Three completely still won't make up the shortfall Director General Tony Hall is seeking, I suspect more services will have to go and considering his announcement to abolish public service broadcasting for young adults, I suspect Radio 1 (I think rebranded for an older demographic a la 6 Music) and 1Xtra will be in his sights for attention.

I suspect the online stuff, which will cost more than linear broadcasting, will be run down and quietly abolished as being too costly and having low viewing figures.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies if somebody has already mentioned this, but do we now know why the BBC wants the licence fee extended to include iPlayer?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,939
    Forum Member
    Okay thanks, I hadn't heard.

The annual figure was also a lot less than I thought I had read. (I thought it was in the region of £80m per year).

I still think the BBC should charge BSkyB for carrying its programmes, as per every other content provider in the world.

Given that you were so wide of the mark with what you thought the BBC paid Sky, where did you get your last statement from (or is that just what you think you have read as well :D)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What? £98 million? I doubt it. £4 million or so (going by the recent agreement) which ended it)
  • figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they axing BBC ThreeHD as well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    well it's a total waste - the BBC should focus on its core content. The sporting output is dire for sports fans and its about time they cut some of the needless spend on the arty fatty.

May be they can save money by cutting the sports coverage that people can pay for elsewhere. Why the hell do we need multiple angles for F1?????
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    figrin_dan wrote: »
    Are they axing BBC ThreeHD as well?
    Of course, if SD goes, so does HD.
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I pay a licence fee to provide me with over-the-air TV and radio stations, not to support an internet streaming service.

On the rare occasions I need to watch a TV programme on a PC I can find it "elsewhere" and in much better technical quality than on iPlayer.

I totally agree...
    A 1500kbps stuttering unicast iPlayer stream can't be compared with broadcast quality...

...and that is the reason why.
    It won't. Abolishing BBC Three completely still won't make up the shortfall Director General Tony Hall is seeking, I suspect more services will have to go and considering his announcement to abolish public service broadcasting for young adults, I suspect Radio 1 (I think rebranded for an older demographic a la 6 Music) and 1Xtra will be in his sights for attention.

In the first version of the mail you quoted, I was going to offer some suggestions for other cuts. Merging Radio 1 and 1Xtra would have been one. Closing the World Service and BBC Parliament would have been others. Small amounts of money, I know, but parliament should pay for its own channel-they could even pay the BBC carriage charges to show it on Freeview. The BBC should never have allowed the government to put the cost of the World Service (a propaganda arm of the Foreign Office) and S4C (surely part of Channel4) onto the licence.
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Given that you were so wide of the mark with what you thought the BBC paid Sky, where did you get your last statement from (or is that just what you think you have read as well :D)

I've yet to find another example of where original content is provided free to a rival platform. If you know of one then please tell us?
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    What? £98 million? I doubt it. £4 million or so (going by the recent agreement) which ended it)

Agreed. It used to be a lot more (£10m) but nowhere near the figure I thought it was.

I was obviously suffering from the same amnesia that BBC executives have when giving evidence to the parliamentary committee! :D
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I've yet to find another example of where original content is provided free to a rival platform. If you know of one then please tell us?

How, exactly, is the "content is provided free to a rival platform"? BBC satellite services are managed by the BBC. Sky don't own the satellites, SES Astra does, the transponder space is leased by the broadcasters on their own terms. The only link between BBC and BSkyB is that the BBC schedule information appears on the Sky EPG, which can only be beneficial to the BBC since otherwise Sky viewers wanting to watch the BBC would need to have a separate Freesat or FTA box.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. It used to be a lot more (£10m) but nowhere near the figure I thought it was.

I was obviously suffering from the same amnesia that BBC executives have when giving evidence to the parliamentary committee! :D

Seems to be catching in the media world, as it was the same amnesia bug that affected James "I have no recollection of that" Murdoch when he was before the Select Committee. :D