Options

Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    Just as an aside, do we know why David is using crutches?

I think they said the first week that he was off work (from the police) recovering from surgery to his leg. Presumably the police have given him permission to do this whilst supposedly at home sick. He must get SUCH teasing from his fellow coppers, so good for him.
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fern3 wrote: »
    I think they said the first week that he was off work (from the police) recovering from surgery to his leg. Presumably the police have given him permission to do this whilst supposedly at home sick. He must get SUCH teasing from his fellow coppers, so good for him.

Thanks fern3!

I am a fan of his!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suze wrote: »
    I agree - but these are amateurs. Many of whom are facing some of these challenges and techniques for the first time. On camera! Under time constraints! The same is true of the Bake Off (or indeed most of these shows) the people who struggle when faced with tasks outsider their comfort zone get weeded out and as each week goes on the number of 'really' home made garments reduces.

I admire anyone brave enough to try it out. I expect they learn a heck of a lot. I've been sewing since I was 10, studied advanced tailoring, had amazing teachers, and I wouldn't do it!!

They're not supposed to be amateurs. Someone I know was short listed for last years prog and had 2 very long telephone "interviews" asking lots of in depth questions about sewing techniques, that was after answering a long questionnaire. She then had a full day of sewing in London before they drew up their final list. They are looking for keen sewers with plenty of experience, flair and technical know how.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They're not supposed to be amateurs. Someone I know was short listed for last years prog and had 2 very long telephone "interviews" asking lots of in depth questions about sewing techniques, that was after answering a long questionnaire. She then had a full day of sewing in London before they drew up their final list. They are looking for keen sewers with plenty of experience, flair and technical know how.

I meant amateur as in they do not sew for a living, not that they are inexperienced. The application specifically excludes anyone who has ever sewn professionally.

I certainly didn't mean to trivialise their experience, passion or knowledge in any way. They are amateurs, who have been taken out of their comfort zones and being given new challenges on camera. Personally i admire what they are doing and how they cope!
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I agree with strictlysnoopy. I did City and Guilds Dressmaking and Pattern cutting in the 1960s and I thought the finished garments look very amateurish. ?

They are amateur sewers? This show is all about sewing as a hobby
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

They have to be amateurs, its a rule of entering the show. I've just seen the advert to apply for series 3
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Suze wrote: »
    I meant amateur as in they do not sew for a living, not that they are inexperienced. The application specifically excludes anyone who has ever sewn professionally.

I certainly didn't mean to trivialise their experience, passion or knowledge in any way. They are amateurs, who have been taken out of their comfort zones and being given new challenges on camera. Personally i admire what they are doing and how they cope!
    The blurb says they are they best amateur sewers in the UK. Therefore they shouldn't be producing garments that look home made. I haven't sewn professionally either, having done the City and Guilds for fun, but even if I had never sewn a lapped seam before I wouldn't have put it up for inspection with bits of fabric sticking out and not caught by the stitching. That's basic.

Having said that, I wouldn't put myself under pressure by appearing on TV in anything. They are under pressure but some are lacking in the basics so aren't "the best sewers in the UK", but are a varied bunch of home dressmakers chosen to produce an interesting TV programme.
  • Options
    SuzeSuze Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The blurb says they are they best amateur sewers in the UK. Therefore they shouldn't be producing garments that look home made. I haven't sewn professionally either, having done the City and Guilds for fun, but even if I had never sewn a lapped seam before I wouldn't have put it up for inspection with bits of fabric sticking out and not caught by the stitching. That's basic.

Having said that, I wouldn't put myself under pressure by appearing on TV in anything. They are under pressure but some are lacking in the basics so aren't "the best sewers in the UK", but are a varied bunch of home dressmakers chosen to produce an interesting TV programme.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that. The bakers in Bake Off aren't the best amateur bakers, contestants on Britain's Got Talent aren't Britain's most talented.... They are as you say an interesting mix of characters and backgrounds with a talent and passion for sewing.
  • Options
    SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the confusion may be stemming from some posters not being clear that amateur just means you don't do it for a living ( however skilled and experienced you may be ) whereas professional means you earn money from it.
    The skills and experience of amateurs vs. professionals may well overlap. ( just like in football where Sunday league players often surpass premiership players' skills !) .
    The criteria for contestants is that they must not be earning a living from sewing ie amateurs. That doesn't mean to say they don't have a wealth of experience and skills.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion .... I was hurrying out when I posted earlier.

They want people who are able to sew but who have not sewn professionally. They're after people with good knowledge of sewing techniques ..... So not beginners but people who should know what they're doing.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I love all her work and am sure she is in with a chance of winning.

This series is much better as Anne (?) last series was the obvious winner from the start. I like it when a competition is more fair as this one seems to be.

So glad David stayed last night, clothes making and crutches are not the best combination!
    Had to record it last night just caught up

I glad David stayed last night its good to see a blokey bloke sewing
    I dont think this series is better but I do think that some of the contestants have better characters to them

As for there being an obvious winner this series, I think there is
    I do think Chinelo (spl) is being geared up as the winner this year, although I dont agree as I think winging it with no pattern does not make the best dressmaker/seamstress and it showed last night
    she's good with throwing 'fashion' together but she lacks in a lot of technique

I just wonder how many of the contestants would be as good without being forwarned of their tasks and their few days practice
  • Options
    Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    My favourite dress was Chinelo's - but it would have been better without such a huge bow, and the bow would have been better in a different colour. I didn't like the neoprene dress - it just wasn't a prom dress. The grey monstrosity was awful too.

I totally agree, the grey dressed swamped the model, too much fabric in the top especially.

Chinelo once again aced the prom dress round, spoilt somewhat by the huge bow, this field seems to be her forte, she seems to struggle a bit in other areas though.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I just wonder how many of the contestants would be as good without being forwarned of their tasks and their few days practice
    I think they only know about the final long task on day two and can practice that. From the expressions and results they don't know what the first two task are until they're presented with them. They do know that the first task will be a make from scratch from a pattern, and the second is a modifying one, but that's all.
  • Options
    Hershey2Hershey2 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I think you are right Janet, David seemed absolutely stumped for ideas on the fancy dress round.
  • Options
    fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to tonight's "a bit of leather"
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    fern3 wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight's "a bit of leather"

I would imagine Heather was as well :D
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening All :)

Mmmm - nylon!
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cinelo hates everything
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, am sat here with my sweet and salted popcorn :D
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evening all! Total panic as I nearly missed GBSB tonight!
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Tamara's looks really good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to admit, the stitching on Tamara's did look very neat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Have to admit, the stitching on Tamara's did look very neat.

It did look a quite difficult garment to make
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem like such a lovely bunch. So supportive of each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahaha David saying the leather 'smells good'