Options

Kate Bush-like artists

constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
Forum Member
✭✭
After hearing the debut album by Lyla Foy, it suddenly dawned upon me how many female artists have been stylistically inspired by her.

Here's just a few:
Marina and The Diamonds
Tori Amos
Bjork
Goldfrapp
Lily Allen
Nerina Pallot
Bats For Lashes
Lady Gaga
Florence Welsh

Are there any more you can think of? Any songs in particular?

Comments

• Options
    jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The above list would surely be incomplete without Siobhan Donaghy; remember her album 'Ghosts'.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jargon wrote: »
    The above list would surely be incomplete without Siobhan Donaghy; remember her album 'Ghosts'.

fortunately not many people know of it which is a crushing shame :(

There are elements on Ellie Gouldings original version of Halcyon which are V kate Bush Esque.

Also Pj Harvey I know she is more rock but there are elements there:).
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    St Vincent
    Sinead O'Connor
    Julia Holter - Loud City Song
    Goldfrapp's Clowns ?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily allen is nothing like a Kate bush type artist. My god, i've heard it all.

BJORK has openly admitted that Kate Bush's The Dreaming album was a huge influence on her when she started out.
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a current or even well known artist but there was a Japanese band in the 80s called Sandi and the Sunsets, Sandi was remarkably like Kate. I think they may still be around but have no idea if she is still similar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily allen is nothing like a Kate bush type artist. My god, i've heard it all.

BJORK has openly admitted that Kate Bush's The Dreaming album was a huge influence on her when she started out.

Well she named her as a big musical influence so I included her in the list:)

I disagree with you to an extent, one can't underestimate how Kate's melodies and hooks have inspired the current generation of pop star, regardless of general sound/genre.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    I don't know if she lists Kate Bush as an inspiration, but Aimee Mann is a certainly similar artist.

Til' Tuesday - Looking Over My Shoulder
    Aimee Mann - Charmer

edit: I just realized that there are 27 years difference between those two videos.. that's crazy.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    I don't know if she lists Kate Bush as an inspiration, but Aimee Mann is a certainly similar artist.

Til' Tuesday - Looking Over My Shoulder
    Aimee Mann - Charmer

edit: I just realized that there are 27 years difference between those two videos.. that's crazy.

The first song sounds more like a mixture of Hazel O'Connor and Siouxsie Sioux than Kate Bush. A bit of Annie Lennox perhaps as well.

Also, how much was the young Kate Bush influenced by Noosha Fox (Only You Can) and Sparks ( This town ain't big enough for the both of us')?

I love Kate Bush and she was(is) very influential but she didn't emerge from nowhere and she wasn't the only influential UK female of the late 70s/ early 80s.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see even the slightest similarity between Kate Bush and any of those singers mentioned. In fact I can't think of anybody like her at all. Strictly a one-off.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I can't see even the slightest similarity between Kate Bush and any of those singers mentioned. In fact I can't think of anybody like her at all. Strictly a one-off.

I'd tend to go with this. There are some artists who are simply unique.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she named her as a big musical influence so I included her in the list:)

I disagree with you to an extent, one can't underestimate how Kate's melodies and hooks have inspired the current generation of pop star, regardless of general sound/genre.

She may of named her as an influence, but the title of this thread says Kate Bush like artists, so being an influence and being an artist slightly similar are two different things and she isn't a Kate bush like artist.

Madonna has named Joni Mitchell as an influence, but that doesn't make her an artist similar to her.
  • Options
    TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget Florence and the Machibe
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Joanna Newsom.

Lou Rhodes from Lamb.

Maybe Regina Spektor ?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Also: St Vincent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TreyC wrote: »
    Let's not forget Florence and the Machibe

Which was mentioned in the first post as Florence welch.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which was mentioned in the first post as Florence welch.

Which you've mentioned again ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »
    Which you've mentioned again ;-)

I wasn't talking to you, so save your sarcastic remarks
    I didn't mention it again. I was reminding a member it had already been said.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,161
    Forum Member
    One of my Tracks of the Week a while back was Never Say Never by Alice Ostapjuk. Put her on your Ones to Watch list.
  • Options
    Bob_AjobBob_Ajob Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Allen..... Like Kate Bush. Put the crack down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Ajob wrote: »
    Lily Allen..... Like Kate Bush. Put the crack down!

Again, I said Influenced by, I would change the thread name but I don't know how.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It never fails to amuse me how grown men and women get so wound up on this forum over nothing.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Lilly Allen?

lol

Good grief

As for Gaga, we know who's she's "inspired" by. She's such a knock-off of Madonna, she should be arrested for piracy.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a humungous Kate fan I have to say there's not one singer that is anything like her, especially in terms of song writing ability IMO. She's one of those completely unique artists that, for me anyway, is incomparable to anyone else.
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that Tori Amos had a very Kate Bush influenced singing style in the early 90s.

Lily Allen though. That would be someone who I'd say isn't anything like Kate Bush.