Options

Have you had cancer/ know someone who has had cancer

OldnboldOldnbold Posts: 1,318
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few members of my family have died from cancer or cancer related illnesses. I had cervical cancer in my middle 20's. Does survival rates from cancer depend on just how good your GP is in taking you seriously and getting an early diagnosis.

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    My great nan and my father-in-law died from cancer. I was too young to really understand what happened to my nan, but I was there when my father-in-law died and watched him literally waste away during the 3 months from diagnosis to death.

It's a terrible illness, a truly terrible one.

In terms of survival it obviously depends on the kind of cancer you have and how quickly it is diagnosed and treated. Getting your GP to take you seriously probably is a huge part of increasing your chances of successful treatment. In my experience GPs tend to play down the chances of your symptoms being something serious unless they are glaringly obvious.

A lot of people think googling your symptoms is a bad idea, but I reckon it probably has saved lives. If done sensibly and thoroughly it gives a person the information they need and many will have sought medical advice based on recognising that they do have the symptoms of a serious illness listed on a credible medical website.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandad came home to our house to die of lung cancer (heavy smoker) when I was a kid. It was horrible to watch. He died in a coma which you'd think was merciful but he looked for weeks on end like he was in the middle of an horrific nightmare, from which he couldn't wake up. He'd been a soldier in the trenches in WW1, and we reckoned it looked like he was reliving being in the trenches. He died quite peacefully though, one afternoon about 4pm. What I remember most about it is my mum had to nurse him (he refused point blank to die in a hospital) and he could only eat Complan or Ski yogurt for months. I still look at those foods and feel ill.

My dad died of a different cancer. He was given 18 mths to live and lived 7 years. It was a painless form of cancer, unlike lung cancer, but horrible as towards the end you become paralyzed and unable even to speak. But are still perfectly aware. At the end the doctors and nurses said he had 2 weeks, tops, to live. They'd never seen anyone at that stage live past a fortnight. He lived 6 months. He was a very tough and determined man and also, like his father, refused point blank to die in a hospital. He too died at 4pm one afternoon, just as grandad had.

My best friend got breast cancer in her mid 40s. She had an op, then another op, chemo and now has the all clear. Another good friend had testicular cancer as a teenager - before I knew him. He too survived.

And another dear friend has a really virulent form of breast cancer and she was given a couple of years - a couple of years back. She has had various chemos.

Not someone I ever met but a friend's sister in law had a sister who got a weird small lump on her neck, as a teenager. It didn't hurt or anything. But she thought she'd get it checked. It was a very very rare form of cancer and they told her she had weeks to live. She was dead in a fortnight.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum died from pancreatic cancer in 2011, just under 3 weeks after her 54th birthday, when my brother and I were 22.

My nan died from breast cancer in 2009, two months after being diagnosed again shortly after her 5 year all-clear - that was the first real experience I had with seeing what cancer was like, because although she'd had it before, as did my other grandmother, we'd been 'shielded' a bit from it because we were young.

Seeing my lovely mum deteriorating and so ill, in so much unbearable pain, was horrific. She was diagnosed at Stage 2, but it was inoperable, as pancreatic cancer often is, and they think she'd had it for up to a year. Pancreatic cancer is notorious for being late to diagnose because it's so difficult and the symptoms are hard to recognise. So I think early diagnosis is definitely key, but sometimes it's just not something that's possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    My mum died from pancreatic cancer in 2011, just under 3 weeks after her 54th birthday, when my brother and I were 22.

My nan died from breast cancer in 2009, two months after being diagnosed again shortly after her 5 year all-clear - that was the first real experience I had with seeing what cancer was like, because although she'd had it before, as did my other grandmother, we'd been 'shielded' a bit from it because we were young.

Seeing my lovely mum deteriorating and so ill, in so much unbearable pain, was horrific. She was diagnosed at Stage 2, but it was inoperable, as pancreatic cancer often is, and they think she'd had it for up to a year. Pancreatic cancer is notorious for being late to diagnose because it's so difficult and the symptoms are hard to recognise. So I think early diagnosis is definitely key, but sometimes it's just not something that's possible.

I remember your threads and the lovely video you posted. I hope you don't mind if I post it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HqdzJtRddE&feature=plcp

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and lasted 3 1/2 months My brother died 7 months after diagnosis at 50 years old.

Neither had been diagnosed with cancer. I've recently been given the all clear but have a serious blood disorder that is being treated.
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Odds are most of us will get some kind of cancer , i am worried about it. Doesn't help the fact i have had many family member suffer it but they have all been different types. At least if one type was more common i could be extra vigilant about that certain type.

My great grandma died of lung cancer before i was born.
    My grandad died of bowel cancer 7.5 years ago. I think he battled it a few years before he passed away.

My nan had skin cancer a few months back , it wasn't too serious. It was removed & she is OK.
    My aunt battled breast cancer last year , she had to have chemotherapy , she is fine at the moment. I don't know much about it , we found out from my gran.

And right now my other grandad was recently diagnosed with cancer. He has lost tons of weight & looks extremely ill. He knew something wasn't right because of it so he got checked. He is in his seventies & is starting chemotherapy soon to shrink the tumour before they operate. It is tough right not especially for my dad , he is ill himself & worrying about my grandad on top of it. It is upsetting me as well i fear he won't be here to see me get married or have children :( with his age as well the stress on his body can't be good. I already have one grandad who can't be here. I don't know what type of cancer it is at the moment.

My relatives have been from both side of my family as well. I am defintley more wary about it , second i feel something is wrong i will seek help. Cervical cancer i worry about , due to my fear of needles at the time i never had the HPV vaccine , i was expecting to be a 40 year old virgin but then i met my fiance. So i feel like a right idiot. I am 21.5 nearly so got 3.5 years till i am 25 as well. But what can you do , with cancer it is catching it early & knowing the symptoms.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I know of three women in my social circle who have had breast cancer (and survived), all in their 40s.

My Dad died from pancreatic cancer in 1991, he was 71.

My husband died of an inoperable brain tumour in March 2013, at the age of 42, 7 years and much treatment after diagnosis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of three women in my social circle who have had breast cancer (and survived), all in their 40s.

My Dad died from pancreatic cancer in 1991, he was 71.

My husband died of an inoperable brain tumour in March 2013, at the age of 42.

That's my dad died of, undiagnosed.

Sorry for your loss Radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    That's my dad died of, undiagnosed.

Sorry for your loss Radio.

Thanks, Woody - same to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Woody - same to you.

It's over 20 years ago, I still miss him. Thanks for that Radio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's over 20 years ago, I still miss him. Thanks for that Radio.

It never goes away, does it Woody, the missing them bit? But the thoughts and memories never fade.
  • Options
    DanniLaMoneDanniLaMone Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have known 4 people who have died of cancer and helped look after 2 of them. It is a horrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad died of stomach cancer in 2012. He had been complaining of having a sore stomach for about 3 months, he was never away from the GP complaining about it and when she did decide to give my dad a proper examination she felt a lump in his stomach, which later turned out to be cancer. He died exactly a week after he was officially diagnosed with stomach cancer.

I've also had 2 uncles die of various cancers.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    One of my friends was given 6 months without treatment and 1-2 years with it. It was late diagnosed ovarian cancer with secondaries everywhere. 15 years later, after a total hysterectomy and aggressive chemo she is still all clear. Great to hear the success stories and to know it's no longer an automatic death sentence.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regretably, too many friends have died of this - the first was my best pal at school who died aged 14. Then two close pals at work. And several acquaintences at the old folks home where I visit. Most lately my Mum. For her, it was a relief (for her as well as the family) when she eventually died. Which is why I support assisted suicide in cases or terminal illness.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else in my family had a non malignant tumour in their ear, (in their 30s). They had a year of getting extreme headaches, going to the GP, being told they were a hypochondriac and wasting his time and to go away. Eventually, he gave up and sent them for tests. Within a very short span, he was in hospital, having surgery and was told even though non malignant it would have killed him in about another month as it would have cracked his skull...

So another point to make here is if anything is bothering you - don't take no for an answer.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mum currently has Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. She's 80. She went to the doctor about a bad cough last September and mentioned a mass in her stomach and it all spiralled from there. She's being treated by very long 3-weekly sessions of chemo and has an operation in a couple of weeks.

She is the first person in our family to suffer from cancer so I have nothing to compare it to.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    My Uncle had bowl cancer, my Great Uncle had lung cancer and died from it (he smoked a lot). When my Grandmother died they found out that she had about 3 different types of cancer including throat and bowl cancer but she had kept quiet about it (I think she knew her time was up).

My Dad has had skin cancer (caught early luckily) but he keeps getting pre-cancerous skin lesions now. I keep getting told off because I love the sun (always have) and never used to use Sun lotion as I never really burnt. But after finding that out it has really hit home to me that I am quite at risk so I now slap on factor 30 and have even got my partner doing the same (and he never burns, he goes brown straight away) and I will never use a sun bed no matter how much I want a tan.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mum (lung) Friend 1 (bowel) and friend (ovarian) all dead. Me and several others I know that have had breast cancer all still very much alive and clear for years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Palliative care can be really good, and it is incredibly sad that so many people don't get the best. I had a friend who had breast bancer three times, and on the third occasion it involved her liver, lungs and bones. Even so, she had two good years, going out for hikes, to the theatre etc; she had a party only two weeks before she died, when the Macmillan nurse was sleeping in her flat, and she bustled cheerfully about bossing her neices about, looking thin but comfortable. And I recently lost another friend to pancreatic cancer, and she was in a lot of pain so she asked to go into a hospice, but as soon as she got there they just got rid of the pain; she slept a lot, but when she was awake seemed pain-free and comfortable.

Even doctors admit that they often don't offer enough pain relief, but imo it would be a rare person, when terminally ill, who would choose to suffer pain, even if the cost is being kept asleep for much of the day.
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember your threads and the lovely video you posted. I hope you don't mind if I post it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HqdzJtRddE&feature=plcp

My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer and lasted 3 1/2 months My brother died 7 months after diagnosis at 50 years old.

Neither had been diagnosed with cancer. I've recently been given the all clear but have a serious blood disorder that is being treated.

I don't mind at all, thank you - I found it really comforting and therapeutic making the video for my mum after she died.

Wishing you all the best for the treatment for your blood disorder, and I'm really glad to hear you've been given the all clear. :)

Horrible illness, makes you realise how many people's lives are affected by it.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had cancer, but I know plenty of people who have.

My nan had throat cancer and survived, then got secondary lung cancer just over 10 years later and passed away.

My grandad had prostate cancer, but that wasn't what killed him. He also had Alzheimer's and it was just general old age and that that got him.

My aunt had breast cancer, but she's still alive. Has been in remission for a good few years now.

My uncle and hair dresser both had bowel cancer, and are both in remission.

Two colleagues at work - one had breast cancer - she was in remission but it came back, the other had bone marrow cancer and is currently in remission and back at work.

My godmother's mother-in-law had breast cancer, and died a couple of weeks ago.

My mum's colleague had breast cancer, was in remission and coming up to the 5 year mark when they discovered a few weeks ago that she had brain cancer. She's had the tumour removed and seems to be doing well though.

Didn't realise quite how many people I'd known who have had some form of cancer. :o:(
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a scare if few years back when a cat scan showed shadows on my brain, but an mri cleared me thankfully. The 2 week wait was horrendous but the NHS was brilliant and very supportive at all times.

I did have to have a benign bony tumour chiselled out of my skull though; that was an interesting experience.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been fairly sheltered from cancer, but the thought scares me.

My aunty on Dad's side had breast cancer and was treated / survived, but that is the only family member who has had it. My Grandparents lived until their 90s (all 4 of them), my parents are in their 60s and *touch wood* all is OK.

My husband's family are also cancer free to my knowledge. On his side Alzheimer's and Parkinson's have struck a few down including his Father, but I don't recall cancer being a problem.

But - it can strike anyone, and its scary
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandfather and two Uncles have died from lung cancer. My other Grandad has survived bowel cancer and still going strong fifteen years later, I know of several people currently undergoing treatment for it and many others who have beaten the disease and sadly, others who have not.

It's true when they say that cancer touches all of our lives at some point, either directly or indirectly.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sister: Pancreatic cancer. Deceased.
    Cousin: Pancreatic cancer. Deceased.
    Aunt: Lung cancer. Deceased.
    Aunt: Pancreatic cancer. Deceased.
    Me: Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia. In remission

Early diagnosis will improve survival rates even if nothing else is done (as people would, by definition, live longer after diagnosis). Cancers vary as to when the best time for treatment is (I was on watch & wait for 4 years).