Options

Support acts - do they pay or get paid for their supporting slot?

DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I heard a while back that when supporting major musical acts artists (or their record labels) pay for their slot. For example, the Script and Pet Shop Boys paid Take That for being on their Progress tour with the aim that they will recoup costs from subsequent record sales and/or build their fanbase.

Is this true? If so, what sort of numbers are we talking? And is it the same outside the UK?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told recently that the support act's label has to pay (in the thousands) for a support slot - unless the headline acts asks them personally. I don't know if it's true though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what I thought, I heard something like £100,000 for supporting Take That.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    I read that Girls Aloud were asked to be the support act for Destiny's child but they would have had to pay big bucks so it didn't happen (from Kimberleys autobiography)
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard a while back that when supporting major musical acts artists (or their record labels) pay for their slot. For example, the Script and Pet Shop Boys paid Take That for being on their Progress tour with the aim that they will recoup costs from subsequent record sales and/or build their fanbase.

Is this true? If so, what sort of numbers are we talking? And is it the same outside the UK?
    it happened. labels would pay. sometimes the artists would be paid from the labels or management. sometimes labels or management got other artists from the same label or management as support to promote them, and they weren't paid, but the idea was the got exposure that was priceless and in turn could gain a fanbase and recoup costs selling records.

sometimes artists would be paid to play though. basically there were all sorts of deals covering a number of different options. sometimes big acts wouldn't want unknown crap acts supporting them as it reflected on the big act so they would pay for a decent known band as support
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I read that Girls Aloud were asked to be the support act for Destiny's child but they would have had to pay big bucks so it didn't happen (from Kimberleys autobiography)

I take it that it would have only been UK dates? If it was US dates it really could have helped them.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted duplicate post.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some pretty impressive support acts before, but Jay Z and Girls Aloud supporting coldplay in 2009, would either of them really needed to pay for that kind of promotion, when both were huge anyway (and Girls Aloud went on hiatus straight after it!)?

I've always thought the same about festivals too, I'm assuming the headline acts get paid big bucks, but the unsigned acts in small tents, do they get paid? And if they pay, whats the cut-off level of success required to become an act paying for a slot to becoming a paid act?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've seen some pretty impressive support acts before, but Jay Z and Girls Aloud supporting coldplay in 2009, would either of them really needed to pay for that kind of promotion, when both were huge anyway (and Girls Aloud went on hiatus straight after it!)?

I've always thought the same about festivals too, I'm assuming the headline acts get paid big bucks, but the unsigned acts in small tents, do they get paid? And if they pay, whats the cut-off level of success required to become an act paying for a slot to becoming a paid act?

I think I remember reading that Chris Martin was a fan of Girls Aloud and he personally asked them
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, how big an effect does being a support act generally have? Does it give them a noticeable amount of recognition/sales?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Also, how big an effect does being a support act generally have? Does it give them a noticeable amount of recognition/sales?

I saw Haim support Vampire Weekend and they were better so I bought their album a few days later. Worked on me.
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My band got paid 200 pounds for playing T Break at t in the park in 2004, im not sure how it all stands now as that was 10 years ago :-s
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boba1973 wrote: »
    I saw Haim support Vampire Weekend and they were better so I bought their album a few days later. Worked on me.

I saw James support Suede and basically play them off the park.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you guys, I thought label mates would probably get some sort of deal. I've been surprised by some choices in the past, e.g. The Saturdays supporting Girls Aloud when they could clearly have taken over some of the girlgroup fanbase. But then the people who go to a pop group concert don't want to see a different type of musical act.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I got into Chvrches partly because they supported Depeche Mode.
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member

It worked for The Saturdays. I saw them when they were supporting Girls Aloud on their Tangled Up tour, before their first single was due to be released and I've been a fan ever since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I got into Chvrches partly because they supported Depeche Mode.

Yes, I think it's fairly essential to book a prestigious support slot - also for giving bands experience playing large venues. I'm quite bad for using support slots as an opportunity to get a round in. I should take the opportunity to see great bands early in their career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    It worked for The Saturdays. I saw them when they were supporting Girls Aloud on their Tangled Up tour, before their first single was due to be released and I've been a fan ever since.

Yes I remember seeing and thinking they are OK just not a patch on Girls Aloud, and that has remained true!
  • Options
    MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I heard in an interview somewhere that Take That personally asked for The Pet Shop Boys as they'd been fans of them a while ago.

On the subject of it helping an act. We saw Hurts support Scissor Sisters and they were miles better - we've since bought their albums (as have the friends we went with) and seen them live a couple more times and haven't seen Scissor Sisters since.