Options

Song Meanings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
Forum Member
Have you ever heard a song and been intrigued by the lyrics but couldn't quite understand what the artist is singing about. A few of my favourite songs are like this so I decided to create a thread where we can discuss our own interpretations.

One of my favourites would be Pink's I'm Not Dead from the album of the same name. The lyrics are amazing and they lure me in but I can't for the life of me figure out what she's singing about.

Here's a lyric video - I'm Not Dead

What do you think it's about?

Have you any other lyrics you'd like to discuss. I'll post more later.

Comments

• Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its not particularly meaningful or anything but Sara Barelilles 'Love Song' always struck me as just another love song when I was younger. Listened to it recently though and its fairly obvious to me now its a subtle dig at her label and I've only realised that now I've grown up and im more educated to how the music industry works.

Its interesting isn't it how such a seemingly innocent song can be interpreted as something completely different if you really listen to it
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tow that annoy me as they are always misinterpreted are:

Adele- Someone Like You. people usually think she is talking to the ''someone like you'' saying that it's all now a bed of roses and what happened beforehand with that other person didn't matter. When in actuality and what is quite crushing for her future partner she is saying it's okay because in the end she will simply settle for someone like them who won't be them but it's the best she can take from it. So please stop playing it at weddings :D.

Ellie Goulding- Anything could Happen. From her herself it is not about the possibility of good overcoming bad it's a misnomer. It was written about her relationship with Greg James and how all was well and perfect then bam it fell to pieces and she learnt even when all is good Anything Could Happen. So again stop playing it in montages to emphasises good overcoming bad.
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Adele- Someone Like You. people usually think she is talking to the ''someone like you'' saying that it's all now a bed of roses and what happened beforehand with that other person didn't matter. When in actuality and what is quite crushing for her future partner she is saying it's okay because in the end she will simply settle for someone like them who won't be them but it's the best she can take from it.

To me the song sounds like she is talking to a person from the past who was the 'one who got away' who is happy and settled, whereas she is pining for a lost love and life and is searching to replace them with a facsimile who will do. There is no way you coukd mistake it as a pleasant 'we are in love' song.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two songs I listened to when I was young that I didn't realize at the time they were quite dirty, either because I misheard the lyrics or just didn't understand the references.

Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop" and "Greased Lighting" from the film, Grease

:o
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    meechyemoo wrote: »
    To me the song sounds like she is talking to a person from the past who was the 'one who got away' who is happy and settled, whereas she is pining for a lost love and life and is searching to replace them with a facsimile who will do. There is no way you coukd mistake it as a pleasant 'we are in love' song.

Pretty much what I was going to post.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    David Bowie songs are always a conundrum, mainly just his thoughts at the precise moment in my view, always a joy to fathom..
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always assumed Yazoo only you is about unrequited love however so many people have interpreted it as a straight up love song. Someone help me out here please :)

Also I have no idea what girls aloud Biology is about. It makes no sense but is fantastic.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I have always assumed Yazoo only you is about unrequited love however so many people have interpreted it as a straight up love song. Someone help me out here please :)

Also I have no idea what girls aloud Biology is about. It makes no sense but is fantastic.

Only You is just that I think, stalkerish but to the point..!

Now David Bowie 'The Bewlay Bros' Scathing song about his record co..well not all!
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two decent websites about song meanings:

http://www.songfacts.com/

http://songmeanings.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the Big Country albums when they came out.

What the actual f- are these songs all about?

Porrohman for example? I even read 'Pollock and The Porroh Man' by HG Wells (which the song is apparently based on). Still couldn't make anything of it. Maybe I'm just thick.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've been doing this with Britney songs a lot lately. I do wonder what half of them are about but it doesn't stop me loving her :D
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danom8 wrote: »
    One of my favourites would be Pink's I'm Not Dead from the album of the same name. The lyrics are amazing and they lure me in but I can't for the life of me figure out what she's singing about.

Here's a lyric video - I'm Not Dead

What do you think it's about?

I could have sworn that I read an article where she said it was about her songwriting relationship with the co-writer, Billy Mann. But I can't find it anywhere, so I'm beginning to think I just imagined reading it :confused :confused::p
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Adele- Someone Like You. people usually think she is talking to the ''someone like you'' saying that it's all now a bed of roses and what happened beforehand with that other person didn't matter. When in actuality and what is quite crushing for her future partner she is saying it's okay because in the end she will simply settle for someone like them who won't be them but it's the best she can take from it. So please stop playing it at weddings :D.

I always thought she meant that, rather than she will find someone who is similar to them, she will find another person like they have (You found a girl and you're married now...) and she will move on too, eventually.