One Day by David Nicholls

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
Forum Member
Dear All

I am sure there have been many threads about this book, but having just read it I just wanted to shares my sheer joy about it.

3 days after reading it I am still spell bound!

Anyone feel the same?

Comments

• -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!

I read it a while ago now, but the story and characters have stayed with me.

I'm not usually into re-reading books, but I might make an exception for One Day.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only halfway through, but I love it already! What a brilliant writer David Nicholls is. I believe the film is due for release soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Hurrah, I am not alone, a great book.
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah you buggers!! I wasn't going to buy any more books and I've been umming and ahhing about this one.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I just bought this yesterday - every single person on earth seems to be raving about. I can't wait to read it now - along with the thousand other book in my reading pile.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I really disliked it. The characters were annoying and I just couldn't care less about them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I'm another big fan. Loved this book and am due for a re-read soon as well. Not sure about Anne Hathaway for the part of Emma though. Too pretty. But they always do this with films don't they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another big fan. Loved this book and am due for a re-read soon as well. Not sure about Anne Hathaway for the part of Emma though. Too pretty. But they always do this with films don't they?

I've rarely found that films live up to the books they're based on. I think a lot of that has to do with the picture you build up of the characters in your head being mismatched with what you see on screen.

I imagined Emma to be a bit on the larger side and quite frumpy. Nothing like Anne Hathaway!
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently in the midst of reading this, I am about 200 pages of the way through... but I am really enjoying all the characters... they have some moments where I'd like to hit a few of them but on the whole not one character is unlikeable.
  • oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma is written as beautiful in the book. It says so many times.

I love the film pics, just how I imagined them.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I really disliked it. The characters were annoying and I just couldn't care less about them.

I didn't dislike the book at all - thought it was brilliantly written and there were some very funny and equally heartbreaking moments -but I agree that the characters, for me, were not likeable at all and that did ruin my enjoyment of it somewhat.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of in the middle, some aspects I enjoyed but others times it was pretty annoying I found it very over hyped maybe thats what killed it for me too much anticipation of it being so good but never really finding it, pretty ordinary story, but I probably still see the movie.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I've rarely found that films live up to the books they're based on. I think a lot of that has to do with the picture you build up of the characters in your head being mismatched with what you see on screen.

I imagined Emma to be a bit on the larger side and quite frumpy. Nothing like Anne Hathaway!

I might get flack for this, but I think Ashley Jensen would have been my perfect Emma. She isn't a waif and she's beautiful. I love Anne Hathaway since Ella Enchanted and a lot since, but she's too skinny/perfect for me. I bet she's weeping herself to sleep on hearing that. ;)

Loved this book so much and totally not what I would normally read. I really identified with Dexter - the way he treated his family, the way he squandered his talent, the endless drink and drugs to dull the pain of constantly settling for what he had instead of what he could have had. Eek, tearing up...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might get flack for this, but I think Ashley Jensen would have been my perfect Emma. She isn't a waif and she's beautiful. I love Anne Hathaway since Ella Enchanted and a lot since, but she's too skinny/perfect for me. I bet she's weeping herself to sleep on hearing that. ;)

Loved this book so much and totally not what I would normally read. I really identified with Dexter - the way he treated his family, the way he squandered his talent, the endless drink and drugs to dull the pain of constantly settling for what he had instead of what he could have had. Eek, tearing up...

lol - He was a tragic character really wasn't he?

Like you, my brother-in-law doesn't do "love stories" but he thought it was a wonderful book because it's so much more than your typical commercial romantic comedy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member

Oh, me too. Reading all the reviews I sometimes wonder if I read a different book. Emma is a simpering ninny and Dexter is loathsome. It's tripe.
    Forum Member
    Oh, me too. Reading all the reviews I sometimes wonder if I read a different book. Emma is a simpering ninny and Dexter is loathsome. It's tripe.

:confused:

Dexter yes. I can understand how he could appear loathsome - there were times during the book he was just that. But for me those times were fleeting and he redeemed himself.

But Emma? Simpering ninny? I actually see her as a hard young Julie Walters or Imelda Staunton type, dressed like Susie Quatro. Far from simpering. (Ninny for loving him so much maybe?)

That's why films from books don't work. We all see things so differently.:)
    Forum Member
    oldhag wrote: »
    Emma is written as beautiful in the book. It says so many times.

I love the film pics, just how I imagined them.

I agree that Emma is supposed to be beautiful, but never saw her as beautiful in the classic (Anne Hathaway) way, more that she sort of enthused her beauty from within and scrubbed up well...if you get what I mean!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I envisioned her as someone who was an ugly duckling that became a swan.

Loved the book and found myself speechless with what happened to Emma, probably with the undramatic simple way it was written.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Emma is supposed to be beautiful, but never saw her as beautiful in the classic (Anne Hathaway) way, more that she sort of enthused her beauty from within and scrubbed up well...if you get what I mean!

Good way of describing Emma. In my earlier post I meant to imply that she wasn't a conventional beauty but beautiful in her own way. She blossomed.

Also, I don't think we were meant to like the characters all of the time. They were supposed to frustrate us, anger us, irritate us. That's because they are flawed like most humans are. It made them all the more believable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    :confused:

Dexter yes. I can understand how he could appear loathsome - there were times during the book he was just that. But for me those times were fleeting and he redeemed himself.

But Emma? Simpering ninny? I actually see her as a hard young Julie Walters or Imelda Staunton type, dressed like Susie Quatro. Far from simpering. (Ninny for loving him so much maybe?)

That's why films from books don't work. We all see things so differently.:)

"Far from simpering" - in your opinion. I stand by my original comment. In my opinion Emma has all the personality and charisma of a damp mop and I think Dexter is a boorish narcissist. However, as I wrote above, this does seem to be out of step with the majority view.

As for the film - I won't be going to see it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    i've skipped this thread because I'm literally terrified of reading spoilers. I've heard good things about this book too and alot of people are saying rush out and get it because there's a film coming out soon. I'm gonna buy it this week and hopefully get round to reading it..:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Oh I am so delighted that others have a reaction to the book too! Yes it has it flaws, but is just a lovely nostalgic love story. I am totally unsure about Anne Hathaway playing Emma, suitably "quirky" but can she do a south yorkshire accent! I heard on the grapevine (ie, general gossip cobblers) that both Anna Friel and Shirley Henderson were up for it. Any other thoughts..I'd have throught Kelly McDonald could have been good...
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the book, but I didn't think it was anything overly special. Oh, that sounded negative when I didn't mean it to. I guess it was in my top 10 books of last year, but not top 5.

I'm always very wary of film adaptations, as there are so very few that I've liked (my very fave being 'Adaptation' itself). I'll definitely see the movie but probably with low expectations, just in case.