Options

A healthy diet

Comments

• Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Get the Slimming World magazine (available in newsagents) - there are lots of lovely ideas in it.

In general, I'd cut down quite firmly on carbohydrates - potatoes, bread, pasta and rice.
    Halve your intake of those things, and the weight will just fall off.

That contradicts itself as well. Half your carbs - from what to what.
    I did SW and lots nearlly a stone and ate pasta, bread, rice etc every day - did green days which includes these.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Sorry if i came across that way it honestly wasn't intentional. Hope you enjoy the documentary. I've watched it several times, its one of my favourites.
    The other link i put up earlier is a talk with some of the same info and links to more though their website but its less funny (although the beginning bit about michelangelo's David did make me laugh).

No worries mate - just about to stick it on now. Looks really funny, and informative!!
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    No worries mate - just about to stick it on now. Looks really funny, and informative!!

Here's the follow up of Fathead(Its only 8 minutes long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkcSI9P1_I
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Why have you completely cut out an entire food group? :confused: I don't see anyone in this thread telling you to completely cut out carbs? You shouldn't ever completely cut out whole food groups as you need carbs, in moderation, otherwise you have the problem that you now have in the BIB.

i'd agree with this, you need carbs for energy but complex carbs are the way to go ie wholegrains, ie wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta etc,
    good luck, lots of hints and tips on this thread and on the net,
    :D
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hence why I was asking for advice in the first place :)

Ok, a couple of people have gone abit nuts over the 'carb free' comment - I meant free from 'bad' carbs, like the ones I was advised to ditch. There are small amounts of carbs in the other things I'm eating.

Nobody has given the advice I have asked for yet? Which is, once I reach my ideal weight (in another 2 weeks or so) what is the best way to maintain it???

Oh, and Mr Grey - 3 pieces of fruit a day is far too much? Disagree with that - ever heard of five a day? 3 pieces of fruit, plus two veg at dinner = 5 a day.

You want to lose weight right? So the 5 a day with the majority coming from fruit isn't going to give you the best benefit. You ask for advice but then are quick to reject it. Your best bet is this sort of meal plan:

Brekkie porridge
    Mid morn snack: handful of plain nuts
    Lunch: lean protein and veggies
    Mid arvo snack: natural yogurt with a handful of blueberries
    Dinner: steak, leafy veg and sweet potato

If you google this sort of thing you'll get lots of meal plans and also exercise plans
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    That contradicts itself as well. Half your carbs - from what to what.
    I did SW and lots nearlly a stone and ate pasta, bread, rice etc every day - did green days which includes these.

It doesn't contradict itself. I never advised the OP to "do Slimming World". I advised him to have a browse through the Slimming World magazine for ideas.

A lot of their 'red' days are naturally low-carb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's the follow up of Fathead(Its only 8 minutes long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkcSI9P1_I

Very good documentary - confirmed what I thought, which is that my diet is pretty much safe, and you really don't need to eat high carbohydrate foods at all, as human beings never did throughout the beginning of time. Fruit, veg, and meat is the way forward.

In regards to the person who said that you need high carb food for energy, nonsense. The diet I'm on hasn't left me lacking for energy at all - I feel great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You want to lose weight right? So the 5 a day with the majority coming from fruit isn't going to give you the best benefit. You ask for advice but then are quick to reject it. Your best bet is this sort of meal plan:

Brekkie porridge
    Mid morn snack: handful of plain nuts
    Lunch: lean protein and veggies
    Mid arvo snack: natural yogurt with a handful of blueberries
    Dinner: steak, leafy veg and sweet potato

If you google this sort of thing you'll get lots of meal plans and also exercise plans

Sounds cool - I'm definitely gonna swap the alpen I've been eating for breakfast, for scrambled eggs, or porridge, as I foolishly thought that Alpen was healthy - It's just one big high carb sugar fest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alright, fair enough. I'm shit at all this, but nobody has given any sound advice, apart from Welsh Lad who told me what to cut out. Nobody is answering my actual questions, but are fairly quick to have a pop at the diet I'm doing - which works. I just want to know if it's safe full time? and if not, why?

Glad I was helpful :)

There is a lot of confusion about 'good carbs' and 'bad carbs' - the bad ones probably being refined sugar, sweets, chocolate etc.
    The fact is, if you're aiming to go for a low carb diet it's important to be wary of all carbs. Fruit may seem a good choice, but unless it's berries, they are often packed full of sugar.
    Baked potato sounds healthy but it is one of the worst offenders on the glycaemic index and turns to simple sugars very rapidly during digestion.

Breakfast cereals and refined flour products as well.

If you are after a healthy diet then vegetables is the way to go. Not potatoes and carrots so much, but nearly everything else. Eat tons of them!
    Eggs are another vital ingredient - they're so versatile and useful, and virtually zero carbs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good documentary - confirmed what I thought, which is that my diet is pretty much safe, and you really don't need to eat high carbohydrate foods at all, as human beings never did throughout the beginning of time. Fruit, veg, and meat is the way forward.
    People in the West with money and access to lots of food don't need lots of carbs. But try telling most of the poor people in Asia or Africa that carbs are bad and they should avoid them. Cereals, grains and other carbs have and continue to provide significant amounts of necessary energy for people across the world, people who generally have lower incidences of the pack of Western diseases (diabetes, stroke, heart disease, cancer, etc).

Of course, there's not likely to be any danger from a low/no-carb diet. High-fat diets work for the Maasai people or the Inuit, so there's plenty of evidence that human beings can healthfully exist on such diets. Practically the only diet which isn't working for people is the industrialised Western diet, which actually isn't as carb-heavy as many diets in Asia or Africa.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds cool - I'm definitely gonna swap the alpen I've been eating for breakfast, for scrambled eggs, or porridge, as I foolishly thought that Alpen was healthy - It's just one big high carb sugar fest.

Porridge made from oats? Very healthy (as is Alpen) but not low carb... just sayin...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't believe the hype on the adverts. A lot of the things that say they're healthy contain far more carbs than you'd think as i found out myself. Porridge is pretty high carb( quakers porridge for example is 24 grams carbs per serving). If you had scrambled eggs and half a cheap tin of tommatoes( own brand ones like tesco everyday value tend to have hardly any carbs) you'd be taking in around a quarter of the carbs you'd get from porridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't believe the hype on the adverts. A lot of the things that say they're healthy contain far more carbs than you'd think as i found out myself. Porridge is pretty high carb( quakers porridge for example is 24 grams carbs per serving). If you had scrambled eggs and half a cheap tin of tommatoes( own brand ones like tesco everyday value tend to have hardly any carbs) you'd be taking in around a quarter of the carbs you'd get from porridge.

Sounds like a plan - that will now be my breakfast for the ongoing future. :D

Will three pieces of fruit per day do any damage then? (I do enjoy my fruit) - Bananas and plums are my fav snacks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Will three pieces of fruit per day do any damage then? (I do enjoy my fruit) - Bananas and plums are my fav snacks.

If you enjoy them, then eat them. Bananas and plums are certainly a hell of a lot more healthy than snacking on crisps or a kit kat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

bananas

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/bananas.htm

Plums

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/plums.htm

If your weight loss stalls at a point where you're still not where you want then it may be worth cutting down or even switching all fruit to green vegetables until you reach your goal but if eating those isn't slowing things then carry on. Its best not to get rid of all the things you like from your diet unless you have to because it makes it more likely you'll slip back to the things that made you put the weight on.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Porridge made from oats? Very healthy (as is Alpen) but not low carb... just sayin...

Porridge or rolled oats have a high GI index making them difficult for the body to break down. Alpen aside from the high sugar content (I don't have the data to hand but I read its worse then sugar puffs) is quite refined making it much easier for the body to breakdown.

There is whole lot of stuff around GI, insulin and how your body reacts to energy spikes which shows why all calories are not equal.

Basically the less processed / refined your food is the better.

Also as several people have mentioned, fruit is fine in sensible quantities but it is high in sugar and therefore low GI carbs.

The other item to watch out for is alcohol. Not only is it bad for you in nutritionally but it impairs your judgement making you more likely to eat junk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Porridge or rolled oats have a high GI index making them difficult for the body to break down. Alpen aside from the high sugar content (I don't have the data to hand but I read its worse then sugar puffs) is quite refined making it much easier for the body to breakdown.

There is whole lot of stuff around GI, insulin and how your body reacts to energy spikes which shows why all calories are not equal.

Also as several people have mentioned, fruit is fine in sensible quantities but it is high in sugar and therefore low GI carbs.

The other item to watch out for is alcohol. Not only is it bad for you in nutritionally but it impairs your judgement making you more likely to eat junk.

I very rarely drink - once in a blue moon for special events. Interesting information there though, with how the body breaks down certain things, nice one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bananas

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/bananas.htm

Plums

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/plums.htm

If your weight loss stalls at a point where you're still not where you want then it may be worth cutting down or even switching all fruit to green vegetables until you reach your goal but if eating those isn't slowing things then carry on. Its best not to get rid of all the things you like from your diet unless you have to because it makes it more likely you'll slip back to the things that made you put the weight on.

Cool - well another half stone is all I need to lose really, but as I'm finding it quite easy to stick to this diet, might go for another full stone. If I come to a halt, I will indeed switch my snacks to leafy green veg instead.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    breafkast - create your own muesli, buy the ingredients and mix into a containers, my current recipe is flaxseeds (omega 3), buckwheat flakes, freezedried bananas, raisins, coconut chips, flaked almonds and sunflower seeds. Eat with organic milk skimmed or semi skimmed.

lunch - I have 2 breaded chicken slices with a bag of salad, often cabbage.

Snacks - oranges, raw carrots, raisins

dinner - salmon fillet with potatoes or brown rice.

my tips - avoid refined sugars and flours - white flour, bread, cookies, biscuits, chocolate etc.
    Starve your brain (its hard) of these and soon you won't have the sugar cravings, white sugar is poison!
    Don't be scared to eat fat. Eg nuts, fish, are high in fat, but its all great for you.
    Try to buy organic if possible - organic milk, raisins and carrots are less than 10% more expensive that non organic.
    Don't look at calories, just eat healthy, good food and you will feel great and think so much clearer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Geiger wrote: »
    People in the West with money and access to lots of food don't need lots of carbs. But try telling most of the poor people in Asia or Africa that carbs are bad and they should avoid them. Cereals, grains and other carbs have and continue to provide significant amounts of necessary energy for people across the world

I think that's true, and you often see starving people in Africa being fed out of vats of maize gloop.

Carbs are inexpensive compared with meat or more high-fat content foods, and therefore it makes sense to use them to feed poor and starving people.
    In other words carbs are better than nothing.

For us in the west though we have a choice; I'd rather eat less of something tasty and expensive than mountains of bland pap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geiger wrote: »
    People in the West with money and access to lots of food don't need lots of carbs. But try telling most of the poor people in Asia or Africa that carbs are bad and they should avoid them. Cereals, grains and other carbs have and continue to provide significant amounts of necessary energy for people across the world, people who generally have lower incidences of the pack of Western diseases (diabetes, stroke, heart disease, cancer, etc).

Of course, there's not likely to be any danger from a low/no-carb diet. High-fat diets work for the Maasai people or the Inuit, so there's plenty of evidence that human beings can healthfully exist on such diets. Practically the only diet which isn't working for people is the industrialised Western diet, which actually isn't as carb-heavy as many diets in Asia or Africa.

A lot of the starch used in developing countries isn't as refined as ours and they don't tend to stick sugar in everything like a lot of manufacturers here do. We also know from feeding and starving experements that some people naturally struggle to put on weight while others struggle to lose it so its clear that not all diets work for everyone. However in the west obesity spiked considerably in the last 30 years along with all the issues associated with it ,despite the fact that statistics show that saturated fat consumption went down and carb consuption went up, so its no rocket science to say that maybe we should look at what we changed before these issues shot up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »

I think maybe you have that backwards. Do you mean rolled oats are low GI? Low GI, not high is what you're supposed to aim for, right? And I'm sure when it comes to Alpen, it depends on exactly what's in the box. They have a no sugar added variety with wheat flakes, oats, raisins and almonds, which I'm certain is more nutritious than Sugar Puffs, even if neither are low-carb.

I think one thing we can say for certain with all of these diet advice threads that crop up is that there is no one right answer, and what works for one person will not necessarily bode well for the next. Low GI should not be conflated with low carb, which is what the OP was asking about, and as I've said before on here, low/high GI means nothing to me personally. As a type 1 diabetic, and speaking only for myself, most things high in carbohydrates will spike my blood sugar, porridge being one of my biggest nemesis. I'm sure though that there must be some merit to the GI Index, especially for poorly controlled type 2 diabetics, but I don't think the jury is quite in regarding its often touted health benefits. Because of the increasing number of confounding variables in the available long-term studies, it is not possible to conclude that low-glycaemic diets mediate a health benefit based on body weight regulation. The difficulty of demonstrating the long-term health benefit of a satietogenic food or diet may constitute an obstacle to the recognition of associated claims. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17610996

As for fruit, not all is created equal as far as the GI index is concerned as cherries and grapefruit rank quite low, while watermelon and dates are nearly off the chart high. I think a lot depends on the glucose:fructose:sucrose ratio (since not all sugars are metabolised the same), as well as the amount of fiber and even the level of ripeness. A banana, for example, can range from 46 to 70 with an average of 52. As you say though, in sensible amounts, as with everything, eating fruit should not be a problem for most healthy people.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of the starch used in developing countries isn't as refined as ours and they don't tend to stick sugar in everything like a lot of manufacturers here do. We also know from feeding and starving experements that some people naturally struggle to put on weight while others struggle to lose it so its clear that not all diets work for everyone. However in the west obesity spiked considerably in the last 30 years along with all the issues associated with it ,despite the fact that statistics show that saturated fat consumption went down and carb consuption went up, so its no rocket science to say that maybe we should look at what we changed before these issues shot up.

I'm not sure that carb consumption went up in the last 30 years. As someone from a poor family growing up in the 60's and 70's I would say that bread and potatoes were diet staples. Meat was in quite short supply (and often processe or encased in pastry to make it go further).In fact similar in many ways to the wartime diet, when obesity was very rare.
    I think people nowadays often have an unrealistic view about what people used to eat in this country. It wasn't really like the galloping gourmet you know. Think piles of bread and butter, mashed potatoes, condensed milk sandwiches, cereal for breakfast and 2 heaped teaspoons of sugar in every cup of tea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refined grains are a problem but that doesn't necessarily mean carbs must go. Added sugars are even more of a problem, but that still doesn't necessarily mean we should exclude all carbs. I can't find evidence that carbohydrate consumption has risen in the UK. If anything it looks to have fallen somewhat:

In 1950 carbs made up 51% of people's total energy intake, dropping to 49% by 1962.
    http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPNS%2FPNS23_02%2FS0029665164000295a.pdf&code=40ce10ec97adb68be5fb4dfe7e2a40f0 What is clear on that chart is the rise of sugar - rising from 12.5% of carb intake to almost 23% in just over a decade.

According to the National Food Survey for 2003, carbs made up between 47% and 48% of total energy intake.
    http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/ndnsv2.pdf

Even with the increase in added sugars, carb consumption seems fairly steady. In processed foods saturated fat is almost always replaced by other fats, usually polyunsaturated fats, so doesn't seem to have made much of an effect on carb consumption.

So although it's definitely a problem where people are getting their carbs and the level of processing they've undergone, people do not seem to be consuming more carbs as a percentage of calories. Looking at carb consumption rates across the West seems to a tell a similar story. We're not carbohydrate gluttons, but we are probably sugar & refined grain gluttons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carbs are hugely important to eat in a healthy lifestyle. Why are so many people saying carbs are bad? They give you the fuel to exercise. Pointless just eating vegetables for the rest of your life and sitting on your arse. Eat a diet with carbs, protein, veg and exercise 3-5 times a week and you will be far healthier than if you just ate salad the rest of your life.