'tis who I thought.
    Slippery, and has a small gang. Will slip up :D:D
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    'tis who I thought.
    Slippery, and has a small gang. Will slip up :D:D

i just managed to get a response complimenting Lauren from said :eek:

i am available for my Nobel Peace Prize at any time....
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    yep we are all on the same page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The sting seems to have gone out of the fanny farts thread. It is now just odd. :D
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    ooooo errrrr i've started a cake fight :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    ooooo errrrr i've started a cake fight :eek:
    seeems like a good point to step off for the night (before it gets light)
    xx all
  • Options
    Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sting seems to have gone out of the fanny farts thread. It is now just odd. :D

Fanny peculiar!:D
  • Options
    twassingtontwassington Posts: 163,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *leaves many hangover cures* :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

The sting is back and I am cross with myself because I have just made a retort to a poster who is on my - not worthy of a response list. BAHHH:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wakey wakey Sleepy heads. We've been up for hours.:)
  • Options
    Cherry HatrickCherry Hatrick Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kettles on, what would you like?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am on my third cup. Coffee this time. Had two cups of tea earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wakey wakey Sleepy heads. We've been up for hours.:)

Tell me about it!:(

Think An is looking from some brewhaha!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on my third cup. Coffee this time. Had two cups of tea earlier.

2 tea at breakfast, coffee mid-morning, another tea after lunch and now fancying something fruity...hibiscus and raspberry I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me about it!:(

Think An is looking from some brewhaha!:D

There isn't a lot of that available here at the moment, it all seems to have gone down to Gibraltar. I have a quantity of Hullabaloo to hand if that is acceptable as a substitute?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2 tea at breakfast, coffee mid-morning, another tea after lunch and now fancying something fruity...hibiscus and raspberry I think.

I am beginning to think you are my alter ego.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There isn't a lot of that available here at the moment, it all seems to have gone down to Gibraltar. I have a quantity of Hullabaloo to hand if that is acceptable as a substitute?

I never noticed that before Las Brujas/La Bruja and Brewhaha. Must have the same origins - surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bummer. I can't find my etymological dictionary and there is nothing in Brewer's Phrase and Fable - although I may not be using the correct spelling. IS that the correct spelling of Brewhaha Fink or have you corrupted it for pun purposes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bummer. I can't find my etymological dictionary and there is nothing in Brewer's Phrase and Fable - although I may not be using the correct spelling. IS that the correct spelling of Brewhaha Fink or have you corrupted it for pun purposes

"1885–90; < French, orig. brou, ha, ha! exclamation used by characters representing the devil in the 16th-cent. drama; "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought you would have known me by now! Brouhaha.

Was thinking of joining in the lack of humour thread with you last night on the main forum. To me, part of the problem is that it is often tribal: love someone or hate someone and it becomes like rival football supporters debating with no ground conceded. OPs are looking for reinforcement, not a debate. Best to avoid them because there are other threads, if not enough, inviting differing opinions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "1885–90; < French, orig. brou, ha, ha! exclamation used by characters representing the devil in the 16th-cent. drama; "

Thanks Cherry

Is ther anything pre French - ie does it say Old French or French from Latin? I am interested because Bruja pronounced brew ha is the Spanish for witch and I feel there is a cognitive similarity between the concept of witch and devilish mischief, noise etc. So I am wondering where it goes back to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought you would have known me by now! Brouhaha.

Was thinking of joining in the lack of humour thread with you last night on the main forum. To me, part of the problem is that it is often tribal: love someone or hate someone and it becomes like rival football supporters debating with no ground conceded. OPs are looking for reinforcement, not a debate. Best to avoid them because there are other threads, if not enough, inviting differing opinions.

It looked like it might shape up into something of interest for a bit. It didn't really but did bring Muggins14 in here for the first time since we moved house. So it had a benefit.

They locked the thread this morning. Not sure why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looked like it might shape up into something of interest for a bit. It didn't really but did bring Muggins14 in here for the first time since we moved house. So it had a benefit.

They locked the thread this morning. Not sure why.

Noticed someone else last night who would fit well in here, Tom O' something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Cherry

Is ther anything pre French - ie does it say Old French or French from Latin? I am interested because Bruja pronounced brew ha is the Spanish for witch and I feel there is a cognitive similarity between the concept of witch and devilish mischief, noise etc. So I am wondering where it goes back to.

I checked my SOED and it's not in there at all, but it is a 1969 edition and sadly out of date. On line there is still little information, and the one I quoted is the only one I found with any information other than "French". That link also suggested it might possibly come from the Hebrew "barukh habba"...blessed be the one who comes...

Bruja is defined as a woman who has a pact with the evil. I have now found another ref.that says brouhaha in medieval theatre was "the cry of the devil disguised as clergy", so the devil seems to be the link.

I have dug around in my Spanish sites for the origins of bruj@ and the consensus seems to be that it comes from one of the Pre-roman Iberian languages. So I would guess they mean Vandal or Visigoth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noticed someone else last night who would fit well in here, Tom O' something.

The guy with the Aga? I thought so too
This discussion has been closed.