Options

Overrated dances this series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which dances this series would you say were overrated?

For me, first one that comes to mind is Susanna's AT. Even though it only (can't believe i'm saying only) got 32, it still was completely overrated.

Abbey's quickstep for me was a bit overrated. It had so much gapping and loose arms but it was a great routine.

Sophie: I think Cha Cha was completely overrated. It bored me. (I am a Sophie fan so being honest).

Natalie: I thought her Salsa was a bit boring this weekend.

What do you guys think? Do not be afraid to slate your favourites like I did.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Sophie's charleston. Abby's salsa- it was good but not worth 40 in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MollyM wrote: »

I'm curious to see how many think Sophie's charleston was overrated actually.
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uhmmm..I think that I'm going to stay away from this thread lol.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becky245 wrote: »
    I'm curious to see how many think Sophie's charleston was overrated actually.

I thought it was GREAT.

But overrated. No swivel at all, for one. I hope she improves it for the final.

I think the dance might suffer from some rosy hindsight and be a bit of a let down unless she does.
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie's Charleston was good, but not the best dance of the season like some proclaim.

Susanna's paso was good, but it was all Kevin so I can't buy into the best paso ever! Stuff on it as the pro of course will dance it brilliantly.

Abbey's salsa - I loved it and I'm an Abbey fan, but I can understand why a lot if people raged about the scoring.

Anton's ballroom - all of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MollyM wrote: »

Quite a few of her dances really.

But the Samba is another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie's Charleston was good, but not the best dance of the season like some proclaim.

Susanna's paso was good, but it was all Kevin so I can't buy into the best paso ever! Stuff on it as the pro of course will dance it brilliantly.

Abbey's salsa - I loved it and I'm an Abbey fan, but I can understand why a lot if people raged about the scoring.

Anton's ballroom - all of it.

Haha as much as I love Anton, he is nearly 50 and it's time to go. Let's not get started on his Latin.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was GREAT.

I think the dance might suffer from some rosy hindsight and be a bit of a let down unless she does.

If they do do it again, I hope Brendan dances it better. Like James last year with Denise, he danced it worse than the celeb IMO.

I hope it is as memorable as people remember, but it was the first charleston and there have been a lot of really good charlestons since so I don't know how it will compare now. I'd love to see Natalie and Sophie's on the same night though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was GREAT.

There was swivel. Not a lot of it, but it was there.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sophie's Charleston.

However as it is the only dance of hers that has been any good at all, I suppose it makes sense.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abbey Salsa
  • Options
    mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Susanna's Paso.

I know this is heresy, but there you go...
  • Options
    differentdrumdifferentdrum Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of Susanna's dances up until the last three weeks when if by magic the judges seemingly woke up to the fact that she really isn't very good. If by criticising her at that stage they were actually seeking to bolster her vote then the plan appears to have worked perfectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of Susanna's dances up until the last three weeks when if by magic the judges seemingly woke up to the fact that she really isn't very good. If by criticising her at that stage they were actually seeking to bolster her vote then the plan appears to have worked perfectly.

And the other way round with Abbey, her marks have been inflated the further into the season she's gone.
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, someone's working harder than ever this week to discredit Abbey. Impressive though, to be fair.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Abbey's Salsa, Charleston, Rumba, Samba (definitely not the best ever).

Sophie's everything (on here).

Susanna's Paso, Charleston.

Natalie's Charleston (good, but the music spoiled it for me).
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha as much as I love Anton, he is nearly 50 and it's time to go. Let's not get started on his Latin.

It wouldn't quite be the same without Anton murdering his Latin dances though...it's as much a part of the show as fake tan and sequence.

Another over-rated dance I forgot is Patrick's rumba. Patrick in general was a bit over-rated, tbh.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't quite be the same without Anton murdering his Latin dances though...it's as much a part of the show as fake tan and sequence.

Another over-rated dance I forgot is Patrick's rumba. Patrick in general was a bit over-rated, tbh.

Ben was probably the most overrated contestant for me.
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gosh yes, because 50 is sooooooooo old. Time for him to put his feet up and watch the show from home from his comfy armchair with a cup of cocoa and a rug over his poor arthritic knees <insert roll-eyes smiley>
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just going to end agreeing about the overrated dances I think!

Susanna - The paso was melodramatic and overwrought with the result that it created a great atmosphere but didn't come close to being a great dance
    Sophie - The charleston had a nice languid & cool vibe but for me it lacked content
    Abbey - The quickstep was fun and lively but had gaps you could drive a bus through
    Natalie - The charleston was technically brilliant in terms of content and execution but the music - especially the transitions in it - just meant it fell flat
    Patrick - The rumba just didn't merit the first 10 for a bloke rumba. It felt aggressive rather than intense at least in the first version
    Ashley - Pretty much all of them... I liked him but I just don't think he really improved as a dancer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Gosh yes, because 50 is sooooooooo old. Time for him to put his feet up and watch the show from home from his comfy armchair with a cup of cocoa and a rug over his poor arthritic knees <insert roll-eyes smiley>

It's a bit old to be a professional dancer in fairness. It's showing in his abilities too. His Latin is terrible. He's a great guy and young in the real world, but in dancing world, a world with which I'm rather familiar, it unfortunately is a tad bit old.
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick's Charleston is the biggest one for me (I know this seems to be focusing on the finalists...) but really is was awful! I really hope Sophie gets 40/40 for hers in the final- no way does hers deserve to be scored less!

I'd say Natalie and Sophie have it just about right- occasionally some of Sophie's ballroom dances under marked, but then again she has been lucky with some of her Latin scores (not including her excellent Charleston- definitely NOT overrated!) so it evens out I suppose.
    I've approved of all of Natalie's scores until her 40/40 in the Salsa, which I thought was a bit much. Beyond that, she's been pretty superb.

I'd say a few of Abbey's have been over marked- Quickstep and Samba immediately spring to mind (her 39 on Saturday is the highest for any Samba on Strictly! Erm, how about no?! Insult to Zoe and Ian's/Matt and Aliona's if you ask me!) I did like her Salsa but 40 did seem a bit extreme

A lot of Susanna's Latin's have missed the mark. Her Paso was very good and I (rather guiltily) quite liked her "muddy" Samba! beyond that though, the judges either have it about right or scored too highly.
  • Options
    chels.pchels.p Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Abbey: Quickstep - not worth the 10s in my opinion/Salsa - best dance of the night I thought, but not worth a perfect score
    Natalie - Charleston - again, not worth the 10s/Tango - wouldn't have given it a 10
    Susanna - Quickstep - no way was it worth 9s
    Sophie - Samba wasn't as good as Ashley's but given the same score, but it was so early on in the series it though that it sort of hardly mattered/However, on DS, I could not understand the uproar over both her rumba and the slightly more subdued roar over her tango being undermarked
    Patrick - Rumba particularly overrated by the judges/Also wouldn't have given his AS a 10 but it was the best dance that evening
    Ben - Salsa - seriously overmarked at the time!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Susanna ..Paso
    Patrick.. Rumba
    Natalie .. Charleston
    Don't think any of Sophies have been over rated ..more under
    Abbey ...
    rest ..cant remember
  • Options
    Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    Patrick's Charleston is the biggest one for me (I know this seems to be focusing on the finalists...) but really is was awful! I really hope Sophie gets 40/40 for hers in the final- no way does hers deserve to be scored less!

I'd say Natalie and Sophie have it just about right- occasionally some of Sophie's ballroom dances under marked, but then again she has been lucky with some of her Latin scores (not including her excellent Charleston- definitely NOT overrated!) so it evens out I suppose.
    I've approved of all of Natalie's scores until her 40/40 in the Salsa, which I thought was a bit much. Beyond that, she's been pretty superb.

I'd say a few of Abbey's have been over marked- Quickstep and Samba immediately spring to mind (her 39 on Saturday is the highest for any Samba on Strictly! Erm, how about no?! Insult to Zoe and Ian's/Matt and Aliona's if you ask me!) I did like her Salsa but 40 did seem a bit extreme

A lot of Susanna's Latin's have missed the mark. Her Paso was very good and I (rather guiltily) quite liked her "muddy" Samba! beyond that though, the judges either have it about right or scored too highly.

BIB - Absolutely spot on.