Options

Alcohol in Profiteroles dessert? why?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Just bought Tesco Profiterole dessert (2 small pots)...was eating it and tasted a bit weird, like alcohol, checked the ingredients and alcohol was one of the ingredients.

Why? Is it supposed to make them taste better?

Comments

• Options
    dgi_mdgi_m Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    When I make my own, I add a little Cointreau to the cream filling before I whip it and dip them in melted Chocolate Orange.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol often enhances and brings out flavours. It's not exactly an unusual thing, spirits are often used in desserts, wines in sauces etc. I'd never go out for a meal and not drink alcohol with it, wines or beers to compliment different courses and a spirit/digestif to compliment dessert.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought Tesco Profiterole dessert (2 small pots)...was eating it and tasted a bit weird, like alcohol, checked the ingredients and alcohol was one of the ingredients.

Irish coffee, sherry trifle, rum and raisin, brandy in the Christmas cake etc etc
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

What sort of alcohol, did it say?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Stout or Guinness in the Christmas pudding/cake used to be popular with the Edwardians.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must say I wouldn't expect there to be alcohol in profiteroles, maybe they've done it as tiramisu is so popular these days?
    They are taking a risk though, I can see the Daily Mail sadfaces as an unsuspecting Tee Total family have their dinner RUINED by Tesco! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member

It said "Alcohol" !
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Must say I wouldn't expect there to be alcohol in profiteroles, maybe they've done it as tiramisu is so popular these days?
    They are taking a risk though, I can see the Daily Mail sadfaces as an unsuspecting Tee Total family have their dinner RUINED by Tesco! >:(

Maybe cheer them up a bit :D
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member

Moonshine?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    It said "Alcohol" !

Interesting that they don't even say what it is!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting that they don't even say what it is!

"alcohol" would surely mean pure alcohol?!
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here it is

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264574365

Ingredients

Water,Glucose Syrup ,Coconut Oil ,Dried Skimmed Milk ,Sugar ,Egg ,Wheat Flour ,Chocolate (2.5%) ,Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder ,Whipping Cream (Milk) (1.5%) ,Maize Starch ,Alcohol ,Stabilisers (Sodium Alginate, Pectin, Agar, Tara Gum, Xanthan Gum) ,Milk Proteins ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Flavouring ,Thickeners (Tapioca Starch) ,Caramelised Sugar ,Salt ,Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate) ,Potato Starch ,Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids ,Chocolate contains: Cocoa ,Sugar ,Cocoa Butter ,Emulsifier (Soya Lecithins)
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Here it is

Ingredients

Water,Glucose Syrup ,Coconut Oil ,Dried Skimmed Milk ,Sugar ,Egg ,Wheat Flour ,Chocolate (2.5%) ,Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder ,Whipping Cream (Milk) (1.5%) ,Maize Starch ,Alcohol ,Stabilisers (Sodium Alginate, Pectin, Agar, Tara Gum, Xanthan Gum) ,Milk Proteins ,Emulsifier (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids) ,Flavouring ,Thickeners (Tapioca Starch) ,Caramelised Sugar ,Salt ,Raising Agents (Disodium Diphosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate) ,Potato Starch ,Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids ,Chocolate contains: Cocoa ,Sugar ,Cocoa Butter ,Emulsifier (Soya Lecithins)

In this context, wouldn't the alcohol be just part of the preserving process? You shouldn't be able to taste it.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that you should have posted about this as I had a similar thing happen about profiteroles that I bought from One Stop shop.

My daughter said she could taste alcohol in them but I told her it doesn't as surely it would have a label mentioning it on the packaging. Checked the ingredients and she was correct, it did indeed contain alcohol.
  • Options
    tallguy9tallguy9 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here it is

Ingredients

OK as we all know, the ingredients lists are written to correspond with the amounts used in the product, with the major ingredient listed first.
    In this case alcohol is two ingredients lower than the 1.5% whipping cream, so unless you have alcohol addiction problems its not really important.

What is more important healthwise is that the second and third largest ingredients are glucose syrup and coconut oil!!

Added to that theres caramelised sugar and also more sugar in the not very generous 2.5% of chocolate!

Sounds a pretty ropey product to me :(
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like a recipe for spewiness to me.