Who would you say the current king and queen of pop is?

RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What do you think?

I'm not sure about king but the queen of pop for me would be Kylie Minogue.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, Madonna is.
    King, i am not sure about that.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Queen Bey and King Jay.

Although I wish the J stood for Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z is King by marriage (well that and his talent).
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen - P!nk.

King - No clue. Maybe Justin Timberlake?
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Madonna will always be Queen Of Pop in my eyes!
  • Delicious11Delicious11 Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna is the POP Queen.

At the moment the King of POP is between Bruno Mars and Pharell.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How current are we talking? I think the expressions King and Queen of Pop were historically coined for Michael Jackson and Madonna respectively, and many would say they're yet to be de-throned (as in no-one has surpassed them). If you mean current as in here and now, I don't think there's an indisputable King, or even an obvious short-list (says a lot about male pop music since Jackson died). Timberlake and Bieber I suppose, depending if you're judging on artistic merit or adulation. Queen is probably a three-way (steady) tie between Beyonce, Rhianna and Perry. I don't know how you'd argue one over another.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say Beyoncé or Rihanna would be pop queens as they haven't had as many years in the industry as Madonna or Kylie Minogue.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say Beyoncé or Rihanna would be pop queens as they haven't had as many years as Madonna or Kylie Minogue.
    Then again, Kylie doesn't have anywhere near the global fanbase or success that Beyonce or Rhianna have had in their shorter careers. Is Kylie even 'current' in the US? I don't know, but I know she wasn't for a very long time in the early days whilst achieving success in Europe. I don't know that longevity should necessarily be a deciding factor, otherwise you could argue for Bowie and Kate Bush. Both fantastic artists in their own right, but their most prolific (and, let's face it, best) years are probably long gone. I don't know how you'd weight it, but I think there needs to be a balance between being around long enough to become established, having a pretty much worldwide presence and current, consistent success.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    King: Has become a republic
    Queen: Madonna
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna will always be Queen Of Pop in my eyes!

Not now, more like the Queen's mother of pop.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean King or Queen of pop who is still successful today. I said Kylie as even though she doesn't do AS well in singles chart (still well in album chart) today, she is so far the only person to have top 10 hits in the 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s in this country.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna is Queen
    Britney Spears is Princess
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current king and queen of POP?

Katy Perry and Bruno Mars probably.
  • Nebworth90Nebworth90 Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Kylie as the Queen of Pop and Madonna as the Queen of Music.
    King of Pop? Has to be Justin Timberlake... Maybe Usher?
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently right now in 2014 that is Perry and Beyoncé two way tie

Male is much harder to say but I'd go Bruno or Timberlake
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Madonna is the Queen of Pop without a shadow of a doubt and Michael Jackson is the King.

If we're talking in current artists I'd say:
    Queen - Beyonce
    King - Justin Timberlake/Bruno Mars
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King would now be Elton John as he is now the best selling male artist that is still alive recording music and continues to sell out Tours. Although I can't stand him he is the next best selling since Elvis and MJ are dead.
    Madonna remains the Queen as no one worldwide has overtaken her achievements and not likely to on the same scale of record sales especially given the lack of physical album sales. Before everyone starts with the irrelevant or current status it doesn't matter as long as she is still alive touring and recording the facts remain she is the best selling female artist worldwide both of singles and albums. She remains the biggest profitability tour wise compared to any other female artist which keeps her relevant.

Kylie was always the pop princess in the UK and European/Asia market however I'm not sure now as I think Rihanna might have overtaken her in those markets. Worldwide I'm pretty sure it must be Britney certainly was worldwide for a few years however I'm not sure you would need to look at her total sales as well as number of chart hits and number 1s.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not now, more like the Queen's mother of pop.

To you maybe, but she will always be Queen to me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queen - Katy Perry
    king - Pharrell Williams/ Justin Timberlake?
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Queen - madonna
    King - jackson

No one currently comes anywere close to those titles.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say current do you mean over the whole course of their career or who is the most influential and successful on the current charts?

Over their whole careers of course, it's Madonna and Michael Jackson.

But current I'm not so sure. There are lots of different artists that have pop hits now but it's kind of spread out. I'm not sure there's one that has that huge impact. I think pop is at a weird place now. There's no one current pop artist that makes me go Wow!, that really combines the success with the artistic innovation that made Madonna and MJ King and Queen. Pop music now is just about money, hits, radio airplay. It's lacking that special something it had in the 80's and 90's. I guess people don't need to rely on just pop charts to be inspired or have icons because there are so many other forms of music and venues for music that you can experience online. You don't have to rely on the Top 40 songs anymore.
    Forum Member
    Why doesn't the op do a poll and see who comes top?
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why so many people are preoccupied with these imaginary terms. It seems so very, very childish. There are no kings and queens in music, just artists earning a living, some enjoying more success than others. Giving them imaginary labels doesn't change or prove anything. Surely people can just get on with enjoying music without creating little hierarchies...
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To you maybe, but she will always be Queen to me!

And Elvis will always be King!
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    And Elvis will always be King!

I always thought Elvis was classed as the "King of Rock & Roll"?

I'd definitely say the 'current' King & Queen would be Justin Timberlake and Beyoncé. Just purely on how they're rated in the industry and their respective careers as they are. I think Katy Perry is kinda the 'new' Princess (even though Britney is still around but doesn't have anywhere near an impact as she used to)...

I still see it as MJ, Madonna & then Britney/Kylie (depending on your territory aha)...
    it's all in good fun though, I don't think it detracts from any others' achievements, it's just how they're 'viewed' by fans/industry/media etc.

(Apart from when 'stans' take it too far ;) lol)