Options

Vision Problems

ronxrayronxray Posts: 639
Forum Member
✭✭
I got BT Vision with 18 extra channels 3 weeks ago.

I am having the following problems.

1) Box reboots on occasions

2) Picture breakup on channels supplied through broadband.

3) Loss of signal many times a day on programme supplied through broadband.

I keep being told every thing is OK, but still get the issues.

Is this a problem others are having? Or is just poor me.?

Comments

• Options
    meatonmeaton Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Hi Ronxray,

Are you on infinity? What speed do you get?

Mike
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronxray wrote: »
    I got BT Vision with 18 extra channels 3 weeks ago.

I am having the following problems.

1) Box reboots on occasions

2) Picture breakup on channels supplied through broadband.

3) Loss of signal many times a day on programme supplied through broadband.

I keep being told every thing is OK, but still get the issues.

Is this a problem others are having? Or is just poor me.?

Hi, ronxray.

It's a network wide issue. They know about it and are working on it. But my box doesn't reboot that often, so I don't know about that one.
  • Options
    johnwhjohnwh Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Have a look at BTCare Forums/TV/BT Vision 'HD Picture Quality' thread - lots of problems there!
  • Options
    BT SupportBT Support Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Hi Ronxray,

I am sorry you are having trouble with this. I'll be happy to give you a hand and find out what's going on.

Could you drop me an email please? Just use the contact form under my profile info.

Cheers

Craig
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reboot issue is going to be sorted with a software update soon.

I have infinity at around 40 Mbits, 30 Mbits wireless. Modem , hub, TV all hardwired.

Get a call from BT every couple of days, weekday staff make you think its a problem just with you, weekend staff say it is a big problem they must fix before August.

The post was really to find out how wide spread the problem was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reboot issue is going to be sorted with a software update soon.

I have infinity at around 40 Mbits, 30 Mbits wireless. Modem , hub, TV all hardwired.

Get a call from BT every couple of days, weekday staff make you think its a problem just with you, weekend staff say it is a big problem they must fix before August.

The post was really to find out how wide spread the problem was.

What you have been told is true. Everyones getting the HD channels distortion. Which they must fix before August.

My distortion is nothing as bad as yours though. But I would definitely recommend PM'ing Craig. Because the BT Mod Team will take personal ownership of all your issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried to send Craig a pm but his mailbox is full.

Thanks for your replies.

Ron
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to send Craig a pm but his mailbox is full.

Thanks for your replies.

Ron

Then everyone, including you, should use this, as it has the same effect -

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Though they can take 3-4 working days to respond.

And it's the above method I used to alert BT to this problem, which BT Technical are now aware of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well may be premature, and didn't realise DS had such pull:rolleyes: but just been watching ITV HD with no problems.

Did a speed check and its gone up 30%+.

So let's hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well may be premature, and didn't realise DS had such pull:rolleyes: but just been watching ITV HD with no problems.

Did a speed check and its gone up 30%+.

So let's hope.

Well well well...

Just been watching BBC2 HD, then flicked to Sky Sports... and the channels are perfect! Touch wood.

Bloody hell, that didn't take long. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spoke too soon, just after 2 pm itv1 HD lost connection, so flipped to BBC 1 HD it also lost connection within 2 minutes.

The picture breakup seems to have gone to be replaced with only getting half a word every so often. Rewind (-15 seconds) and listen again and the recording has the whole word. Or is it just me.?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further update BT just called say picture breakup was due to a server over correcting errors and causing issues.

They have now formed a triage to look at the drop of connection and they will call me Monday with an update.

They also said the technology they are using is new, and they are having teething problems, but the team now looking at it are the technocrats, so let's hope.

I've also started to keep a log, as they have an error logging system which should indicate an issue at the times I am having issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    BT Support wrote: »
    Hi Ronxray,

I am sorry you are having trouble with this. I'll be happy to give you a hand and find out what's going on.

Could you drop me an email please? Just use the contact form under my profile info.

Cheers

Craig

Craig, you need to get you mailbox emptied as I have just tried to mail you with my issues.

As you know the BT Vision / TV service is the worse service currently available out there - that is official by OFCOM!!!

You also know you have issue with the multicast implementation of Sky and also taking on new customers for BT Sport which nobody seems to be able to fix.

You are about to go into a major growth but the processes and technical support seems to be struggling - to say the least.

When is BT Retail going to get it's act together with regard to TV services and in particular BT Vision+.

Infinidim :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one, but has the loss of connection and picture breakup issues gone since the weekend?

Only negative BT promised to call Monday, but alas no call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Then everyone, including you, should use this, as it has the same effect -

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950

Though they can take 3-4 working days to respond.

And it's the above method I used to alert BT to this problem, which BT Technical are now aware of.

Definitely ronxray send to the above URL your complaint about your service. They need to understand that there are a lot of customers that are having issues currently before the service goes live on 1st August.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »
    Definitely ronxray send to the above URL your complaint about your service. They need to understand that there are a lot of customers that are having issues currently before the service goes live on 1st August.

I don't need to complain, they are aware of the issues which as I stated seem to be cured. If your only input is to try and put BT down why post?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't need to complain, they are aware of the issues which as I stated seem to be cured. If your only input is to try and put BT down why post?

Basically BT Retail need to know what the issues are, if people don't give then information about performance or what is wrong then they aren't able to get things fixed and keep them fixed There is a finite resource in BT Retail / Wholesale that knows how to fix things and they get directed to where the most critical issue are.

Up until a few years ago I was responsible for the quality of all BT's data platforms outside the UK - they are more complex than the UK and operate in much harsher environments than the UK.

Customer feedback is one of the most important ways of understanding how a platform is performing - you can monitor them with technology but that doesn't always show the complete picture.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    infinidim wrote: »
    Basically BT Retail need to know what the issues are, if people don't give then information about performance or what is wrong then they aren't able to get things fixed and keep them fixed There is a finite resource in BT Retail / Wholesale that knows how to fix things and they get directed to where the most critical issue are.

Up until a few years ago I was responsible for the quality of all BT's data platforms outside the UK - they are more complex than the UK and operate in much harsher environments than the UK.

Customer feedback is one of the most important ways of understanding how a platform is performing - you can monitor them with technology but that doesn't always show the complete picture.

Thanks, but I had already gone through India, I was dealing with staff in Newcastle but had no idea if it was a widespread problem or just unlucky me. My only issue with BT is they should admit the problem and if they say they will telephone you they should do so.

I have not had the promised call, and in my BT under faults it says issue fixed, issue closed, and an icon for me to confirm, but no way of telling them there is still some picture breakup. So if I want to continue I will have to start in India again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Latest.

BT just called, their experts now think it is my BT home hub causing the issues, so they are sending a replacement, let's hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Latest.

BT just called, their experts now think it is my BT home hub causing the issues, so they are sending a replacement, let's hope.

ronxray - hopefully that should sort it out but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Most of them just follow a script when diagnosing the issues. The Newcastle people are slightly better as they have access to all the divisions but they are still only "fault managers". :(

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive been having random box restarts, and loss of HD channels, usually if i change channel then change back, the hd channel comes back on. Also occasionally i dont get the hd channel on at all when i turn the tv on, but a message about secure hd compatability telling me to turn the tv off and on again (which brings the channel back). Also the i-player menus dont load or play any programme, i just get the spinning loading thing, but i suspect this is a seperate issue with i-player being ****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveq3 wrote: »
    Ive been having random box restarts, and loss of HD channels, usually if i change channel then change back, the hd channel comes back on. Also occasionally i dont get the hd channel on at all when i turn the tv on, but a message about secure hd compatability telling me to turn the tv off and on again (which brings the channel back). Also the i-player menus dont load or play any programme, i just get the spinning loading thing, but i suspect this is a seperate issue with i-player being ****.

They really do need to get "new look" BT Vision sorted out. At the moment there are so many issues that they need to address.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveq3 wrote: »

Join the club. I still want to keep BT vision but I an now being treated like an idiot. I'm a electronic engineer, just saying because I'm not stupid.

They sent the new hub which has cured nothing, if anything it is slightly worse. So I replied too their e-mail telling them "good try but no go". Then I get a reply saying all the things they said weeks ago, like is it the freeview channels, you may need a new aerial, are your cables connected properly, wireless could be an issue, all connection a hard wired, but they already know this.

It's never been about freeview, always about broadband channels, so I am getting near to cancelling all of it.

I had hoped we had got past a computer screen and a script.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE
    I gave up and waited for contract renewal, this week. They offered me a youview box for £35. Arrived yesterday.

Now HD channels breakup regularly. And freeview channels pixalate.

BT is rubbish.
  • Options
    holmroadholmroad Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Hi I got my BT Youview Infinity - allegedly with fibre connection - system as a result of a strong BT Salesa cold call from them in July 2014 (this year)!
    I have constantly had picture break up - especially on HD channels - right from day one in July!
    I have repeatedly called BT Customer services - 99% of time patched through to India - always get asked the same questions, obviously from a script - get made to feel as if I'm a total idiot and its always at MY end they say the problem lies!
    I have rebooted my BT router - changed ethernet ports, as wirelessly its hopeless anyway with all this picture breakup.
    I have changed ethernet cables, from the white BT one to a higher spec version in black, all to no avail - I have changed HDMI cables - again all to no avail!
    NB: It always seems fine immediately after reboots, so I then get this false sense of security as it works ok for a day or two, before again the picture breakup begins - but mainly on HD!
    I have nearly 40Mpbs/sec download speed (via Okia Speedtest), so no probs there!
    I am in a 12 month contract (since July 2014) - oh how I wish I could go to Sky, but cant get out of my BT contract!
    Help!!