Options

WPA Sky compatbility / printer help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
Forum Member
Hi,

I am trying to connect an Epson Stylus 700 w printer wirelessly via my internet connection which is provided by sky and thus I understand is encripted by WPA not WEP.

I know for example Nintendo wireless does not support WPA and can only be used if you have a WEP encription, but was just wondering if the same applies for a wireless printer (that is wifi enabled)

Many thanks for any assistance in advance,

L

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    It depends on the printer. Current printers support WPA.

BTW, the Sky touter can be changed to WEP but it is not recommended due to WEP's weaker encryption.
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosypie wrote: »
    I know for example Nintendo wireless does not support WPA and can only be used if you have a WEP encription

My Wii connects to WPA and WPA2 just fine.
  • Options
    chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old Nintendo DS consoles could only support WEP encryption.

WEP is a basic form of wireless security, and is very vulnerable to attack (providing someone were to hack you). Using WPA or WPA2 is the more advised option, as that is much more secure.

Do you not have a manual, or checked Epson's website for a guide? If it's wireless enabled, sometimes you have to connect the printer to the PC to start the setup process, then configure it as a wireless printer.

Edit; This topic should be in the General Computer section, as it has nothing to do with Sky. It's the router configuration and printer compatibility that you need.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, although my Lexmark 4550 Wireless Printer supported WPA, my Freecom Multimedia player 450 Wlan, Philips Wireless Media Center WAC 3500 and wireless player Sla 5520 could only support WEP. To network all of these I had to downgraded my Wireless security to WEP.
    I am aware that WEP is not very secure so as an added security, I enabled MAC filtering. This will only allow the addresses listed on the MAC table to connect to your wireless network.
    You can do this by logging on to to your wireless router, read the MAC addresses of the devices connected to you network (identify them to making sure you have no unwanted connections to your wireless network) then add these addresses to your MAC table and then enable MAC filtering.
    Although this method is still not as secure as WPA it is better than having no security.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Gabriel_R wrote: »
    I enabled MAC filtering. This will only allow the addresses listed on the MAC table to connect to your wireless network.
    You can do this by logging on to to your wireless router, read the MAC addresses of the devices connected to you network (identify them to making sure you have no unwanted connections to your wireless network) then add these addresses to your MAC table and then enable MAC filtering.
    Although this method is still not as secure as WPA it is better than having no security.
    Unfortunately MAC filtering can be negated so easily it really isn't worth the hassle. The method is no secret and involves using a Locally Administered Address to clone one of the Universal Administered Addresses used on the network.