Options

Anti-abortion Campaigner Refusing To Pay Licence Fee

adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
A pro-life campaigner has launched a test case against the BBC by refusing to pay her licence fee because of what she sees as the corporation's support for abortion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7113152/Anti-abortion-campaigner-Veronica-Connolly-launches-licence-fee-test-case-against-BBC.html

Apparently the compulsory payment of the licence fee violates her "conscience" and the case is bring brought under the Human Rights Act.

For a start the licence fee is not compulsory. Mrs Connolly could choose not to have any TV receiving equipment and therefore would not need to pay the licence fee.

And where exactly would this end? There are all sorts of things that we have to pay for indirectly that we may feel violates our conscience.

Comments

• Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC3 violates my intellect but I still to have to pay for it.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    A pro-life campaigner has launched a test case against the BBC by refusing to pay her licence fee because of what she sees as the corporation's support for abortion.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/7113152/Anti-abortion-campaigner-Veronica-Connolly-launches-licence-fee-test-case-against-BBC.html

Apparently the compulsory payment of the licence fee violates her "conscience" and the case is bring brought under the Human Rights Act.

For a start the licence fee is not compulsory. Mrs Connolly could choose not to have any TV receiving equipment and therefore would not need to pay the licence fee.
    And where exactly would this end? There are all sorts of things that we have to pay for indirectly that we may feel violates our conscience.

Problem solved :)

I don't watch Eastenders but no point in me objecting to paying for the most depressing programe on TV.... IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »

totally agree. It seems like a publicity thing, whether consciously done or not, anyway.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Can atheists refuse to pay because of Songs of Praise and other religious shows which show that the BBC supports religion? Actually I don't really care if they show these things or not as I can just turn off and even minority interests like Christians deserve some programming just for them I guess. I just wish there were more serious science and technology programmes to compensate. Horizon doesn't count as it's a joke most of the time.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I don't watch Eastenders but no point in me objecting to paying for the most depressing programe on TV.... IMO.
    lol but seriously now, this could be the start of a very slippery slope for the BBC.

Lets say this women is succesful, does the BBC then have to ban EE from featuring characters having an abortion? what if someone else then decides it doesn't like the BBC featuring aliens, as its not been proven that they exist, would the BBC have to drop Doctor Who.

or will the BBC be forced to panda to specail interest groups, and over represent, minority's & homosexuals in its programs?

Will Christian groups then start objecting to a program that features gay people, etc etc etc

A very slippery slope leaving the BBC unable to do anything (not just anything good, or anything bland, just anything) without worrying that a section of its viewers are going to upset by it.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    lol but seriously now, this could be the start of a very slippery slope for the BBC.

Lets say this women is succesful, does the BBC then have to ban EE from featuring characters having an abortion? what if someone else then decides it doesn't like the BBC featuring aliens, as its not been proven that they exist, would the BBC have to drop Doctor Who.

or will the BBC be forced to panda to specail interest groups, and over represent, minority's & homosexuals in its programs?

Will Christian groups then start objecting to a program that features gay people, etc etc etc

A very slippery slope leaving the BBC unable to do anything (not just anything good, or anything bland, just anything) without worrying that a section of its viewers are going to upset by it.

I agree, have EE done incest yet? can you imagine!!!
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refusing to pay your license fee is such a rubbish protest for anything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a long road ahead of her cause her taxes pay for the NHS and well... as I said - it'd be a long road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has a long road ahead of her cause her taxes pay for the NHS and well... as I said - it'd be a long road.
    this is a better point, she would have more direct action if she sued the NHS.
    not to my knowledge.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is the most pro-life organization I can think of. Have you seen all the mindless yoof comedy on BBC3 that should've been aborted immediately after conception?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    JonJonB wrote: »
    The BBC is the most pro-life organization I can think of. Have you seen all the mindless yoof comedy on BBC3 that should've been aborted immediately after conception?

Erm, you mean like Lunch Monkeys? Dire or what?
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with my taxes being spent on: US inspired invasions of Middle East countries, The 2012 Olympics, IVF, The Royal Family, Greedy Bankers, Faith Schools.

However, As I am lucky enough to live in one of the richest and democratic counties in the world, I accept that I cannot pick and choose every single thing that my taxes fund.

This women should do one of two things:

1. Get rid of her telly

2. Move to America
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    This women should do one of two things:

1. Get rid of her telly

2. Move to America
    Surely the Republic Of Ireland is closer?
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    BBC3 violates my intellect but I still to have to pay for it.

I adore bits of BBC3. While it's hit and miss, it has an undeserved bad rep, imo.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see she already has a criminal record.
    In 2007, Mrs Connolly failed to have a conviction for sending pictures of aborted foetuses to chemist shops overturned in the High Court

She's the living embodiment of a Stephen King character.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »

She's the living embodiment of a Stephen King character.
    You dirty bird...

She's a wacky one, folks!
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it she pays income tax and VAT, though, that partly go to fund the NHS. Which does abortions.

Idiot.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She HAS been convicted for foetus mailing though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6291653.stm

I guess
    In 2007, Mrs Connolly failed to have a conviction for sending pictures of aborted foetuses to chemist shops overturned in the High Court
    should read "failed to overturn" or something.

EDIT: I just realised I bumped an eight month old thread. Sorry folks :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    She should sue herself for being a waste of oxygen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if she was boycotting the BBC when they were covering the Pope visit.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6291653.stm

I guess

should read "failed to overturn" or something.
    Was she even complaining to the right people? How much say would a pharmacist have in the types of prescription medication they carry? I can see how only certain places might carry heroin substitutes and the like for security reasons, but I would imagine the morning after pill would be a basic medicine which must be stocked everywhere.
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very good point, didn't think of that.
    Charnham wrote: »
    not to my knowledge.

Don't watch it myself but haven't they had Archie abusing his daughter when she was little? Ronnie/Roxie?

EDIT: Just noticed post date but info still stands.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/6291653.stm.............

There's a law against mailing a photo of a foetus to a chemist?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    There's a law against mailing a photo of a foetus to a chemist?

I was going to point out that technically speaking she is distributing nude photos of minors, but I think it's more about intimidation and harassment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kittycat73 wrote: »
    EDIT: Just noticed post date but info still stands.
    yes the post date may confuse things.

However since I made post #10, yes it has been reveled that Ronnie was abused by Archie, ok fair enough it was in the subtext of there relationship, but it was not known at that stage.