Options

CS - Carla ISN'T leaving!

callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
Forum Member
✭✭
Before you all head down to the studio with pitchforks and torches and burn Blackburn at the stake, it has been confirmed she isn't leaving but only taking a break, which won't even happen until next year. :p:p

I don't have a complete dislike towards Carla and I am sure the actress is lovely, but the show is hardly going to fall without her. It survived just fine when she took a break in 2009 and 2012. ^_^

Panic over. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show was in a better state when she took her previous breaks.

If she is planning on doing other work then this break will probably be a longer one, a year or more. If she is out of contract then she could decide not to come back, a lot will depend on what offers come her way.

Jo Joyner, Letitia Dean and Natalie Cassidy all announced that they were taking breaks from EE. They were out for 2, 6 and 7 years (bar a couple of episodes) respectively.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »

If she is planning on doing other work then this break will probably be a longer one, a year or more. If she is out of contract then she could decide not to come back, a lot will depend on what offers come her way.

Jo Joyner, Letitia Dean and Natalie Cassidy all announced that they were taking breaks from EE. They were out for 2, 6 and 7 years (bar a couple of episodes) respectively.

Lol seriously? The show got so much crap in 2009.

I am sure it will survive this time around without the need of Carla to be in every episode or linked to a lot of storylines. Plus by the time she leaves Blackburn will probably be replaced.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol seriously? The show got so much crap in 2009.

I am sure it will survive this time around without the need of Carla to be in every episode or linked to a lot of storylines. Plus by the time she leaves Blackburn will probably be replaced.
    I don't even remember her 2009 break. How long was she out for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I don't even remember her 2009 break. How long was she out for?

She was away from Feb-October to have her daughter Daisy
    Although she is saying it's a break I can see her being away a while because she'll get lots of work outside corrie. She might not even want to return after that.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Calling it now, Ordinary Lies series 2.

But I disagree OP, as referenced 2009 was absolute gash for me without her (that was another pretty crap period in the show's history altogether), unless things REALLY turn around by the end of the year I do think she'll leave a big whole in the show. Her performances just instantly transcend the quality of anything she's involved in imo. Don't get me wrong there is still enough watchable stuff going on but aside from Carla there's not an awful lot really captivating my attention right now.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    If she leaves altogether then so be it!! The show has survived plenty of bigger characters than her leaving & will again!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IF offers come her way. I'm a Celeb? "Celebrity" Squares? Big Brother?
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she is. There's no set date or even timeframe. They're just hoping she'll come back. It IS an exit, they're just trying to soften the blow.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see Carla on screen I just can't help seeing Pete Burns. The resemblance is incredible.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2012 maybe. 2009 was horrific!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    Calling it now, Ordinary Lies series 2.

But I disagree OP, as referenced 2009 was absolute gash for me without her (that was another pretty crap period in the show's history altogether), unless things REALLY turn around by the end of the year I do think she'll leave a big whole in the show. Her performances just instantly transcend the quality of anything she's involved in imo. Don't get me wrong there is still enough watchable stuff going on but aside from Carla there's not an awful lot really captivating my attention right now.

Fair enough, but the show still coped without her during the eight-months she was absent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see Carla on screen I just can't help seeing Pete Burns. The resemblance is incredible.
    They could be twins.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She won't be missed that much, she does nothing much except when there is a big storyline built around her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »
    They could be twins.

I think they may be the same person as you never see them both together! ;-)
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not being sarcastic .....but I can see a slight resemblance.:o
  • Options
    rollockingbatrollockingbat Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on what's agreed really. If they set a date for her return in stone before she goes then we'll obviously see her back at a certain point. If she's leaving to test the waters with other things, then it's a little different. Duncan Preston took a break from Emmerdale in 2011 and only arrived back on screen late last year and Leah Bracknell took a 'break' in 2005 and has yet to return (despite it only originally being an apparent 9-month break)! Just because the word 'break' has been used doesn't automatically set in stone that she'll return if she finds something she likes doing elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Yes, she is. There's no set date or even timeframe. They're just hoping she'll come back. It IS an exit, they're just trying to soften the blow.
    It all depends on what's agreed really. If they set a date for her return in stone before she goes then we'll obviously see her back at a certain point. If she's leaving to test the waters with other things, then it's a little different. Duncan Preston took a break from Emmerdale in 2011 and only arrived back on screen late last year and Leah Bracknell took a 'break' in 2005 and has yet to return (despite it only originally being an apparent 9-month break)! Just because the word 'break' has been used doesn't automatically set in stone that she'll return if she finds something she likes doing elsewhere.

Exactly. Alison has had a few breaks in the past (when she had her baby and then in 2012 when all the long hours/big storylines left her exhausted) but there was always a return in sight. Fair enough if some people want to call this a break but she wants to try other projects and she's going to have to LEAVE Corrie to do that. I'll miss the actress and the character A LOT and I hope she does return one day but no one knows what the future holds.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    If she leaves altogether then so be it!! The show has survived plenty of bigger characters than her leaving & will again!!

Exactly - I love Carla - but she's not Elsie Tanner or Bet Lynch..... However she is above most of the females in the cast today - obviously not above Sally or Gail.
    No actor is bigger than the show - and it's not in as bad a shape as people on here like to portray it as, as someone above suggested - I think Blackburn will be gone soon after the live episode.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She won't be missed that much, she does nothing much except when there is a big storyline built around her.

i wood agree

That said, the Carla/Nick storyline is so unbelievable. And boring. Isn't it amazing that an attractive woman like that dates only the guys who live in her street.

The Barlow drunk and now Nick.

Pathetic really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i wood agree

That said, the Carla/Nick storyline is so unbelievable. And boring. Isn't it amazing that an attractive woman like that dates only the guys who live in her street.

The Barlow drunk and now Nick.

Pathetic really.

Have you seen Pete Burns?

You may change your mind.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    Having said that look what happened when she did look outside the Street for a partner..Tony Gordon, Frank Foster....;) ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having said that look what happened when she did look outside the Street for a partner..Tony Gordon, Frank Foster....;) ;)
    Doesn't matter where she looks all Medusa/Cruella's men end up dead.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before you all head down to the studio with pitchforks and torches and burn Blackburn at the stake, it has been confirmed she isn't leaving but only taking a break, which won't even happen until next year. :p:p

I don't have a complete dislike towards Carla and I am sure the actress is lovely, but the show is hardly going to fall without her. It survived just fine when she took a break in 2009 and 2012. ^_^

Panic over. ;-)

True; and the mods kindly altered the title of http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2068683
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 322
    Forum Member

I remember reading an interview with her a few months ago, she said she was very happy at the moment, and then said that when she does go off to do other things, that she'll try to come back. She also said she would hate to be killed off and that she would like to end her days on Corrie. So hopefully this means that she will return.

I think this interview was the end of the October, the week Rob/Tracy's was getting married. I wonder what has changed her mind over the last few months because she seemed very happy at Corrie at that time. Probably the lack of decent storylines she has been involved in.
  • Options
    m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah yeah yeah, Carla Connor is the ultimate milf my friends. there will be plenty of tacky, unattractive deadwood characters to indulge yourselves in after she leaves. so go nuts, fight over them, i won't be around to witness you pulling them apart :p