Options

In the Night Garden : A complaint

Comments

• Options
    hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would young children really notice the differences in scale? I don't think the intended audience are that clever, if they were they would know nothing in the show is real and not take any of it seriously.

I think kids are just supposed to enjoy it ;)

Not that i'm saying these sorts of programs are good, what happened to good kids programs like when i was young, Pingu, Thomas the Tank Engine, Postman Pat :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Idlecat wrote: »
    Quote Don't even get me started on Makka Pakka. Quote

Is anyone else concerned about the character Makka Pakka who clearly has COPD . He is obsessed with cleaning and collecting large stones which he places in intermittant piles and brings back to his cave home - even takes one into his bed at night. :rolleyes:

Did he get his COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from his 20 a day rothman habit?
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was gonna be about the fact that Upsy-Daisy has a chord that pulls her skirt up every time she gets excited!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I thought this was gonna be about the fact that Upsy-Daisy has a chord that pulls her skirt up every time she gets excited!

She has WHAT?!:eek:
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahlil wrote: »
    Igglepiggle likes to sleep in her bed whenever he can get away with it, also...

I like the whole weird scaling issue with the ninky nonk / pinky ponk. It shows that a lot of thought has gone into the whole dream concept; far more than you'd expect for a toddlers show. The sequences that bookend the show at start and end are really well thought out too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am so loving this thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahlil wrote: »

:D

The show is FULL of sexual innuendoes!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I wanna know why we dont see more of the Wottingers! Whats the point of even thinking them up if they dont feature in it?!
  • Options
    Dai ClustDai Clust Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Padame12 wrote: »
    I wanna know why we dont see more of the Wottingers! Whats the point of even thinking them up if they dont feature in it?!

They've probably moved out. How would you feel living next door to a large family who come out at the dead of night every day and make a huge racket dancing in the garden? It would do my head in! And how many children have they got! He wants to put his ninky nonk away. And to think the one who lives in a rock is the one they call Mukki Bugga.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    They're only in the show to fill a BBC quota. Tokenism at its worst.
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we've got all the dolls, dvds, 99% of all the merchandise going i think.

My daughter loves this show and has done for the past year.

this thread made me laugh and needs more comments.

the scale issue is annoying at times but hey i can't understand a single word they say.

as for the skirt, when i first watched it i though f*** me.

but no one has mentioned the tomliboos (whatever)

when they do there dance there pants are always on the washing line, are they naked then????????

Makka has a cleaning disorder

Igglepiggle is always trying to bone upsy daisy

the pinky ponk sounds like its got bad wind all the time

the ninky nonk sound too similar to a racist word when a two year old trys to say it.

the pontypines look like iraqi immigrants, no wonder the wottingers are hardly shown, there down the council offices demading to be moved.

the har-hoos are just there to fill the screen.

igglepiggle is always drunk at the end of the show cause he keeps falling over.
  • Options
    IdlecatIdlecat Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McScream wrote: »
    Did he get his COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease from his 20 a day rothman habit?

:D:D:D:D:D
    OCD:o Duuur.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It annoys me as well but apparently it is deliberate to give the child an awareness of distance and big and small. That makes even less sense to me and I find it a totally confusing reason.

...also why do we never see the pond/sea where Iggle piggle lives? :rolleyes:

What annoys me more is that it the programme is no longer available on catch up TV. I think the programme makers got greedy realising the popularity and cashed in on their Christmas timed sales with the dvd/video release. The books are also extremely expensive. The other thing I hate about night garden is that there is far too much of the boring pontipines. My grandaughter doesn't watch when they are on.
  • Options
    Stella100Stella100 Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this - just been sitting at my desk PMSL - everyone else in the office now thinks I've gone mad.
  • Options
    WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member

No no no!!!!!! It just turns it into a tutu so that she can dance :)
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    same here! the names alone intrigue me, think im gonna pack my job in and start watching kids daytime tv!:D:D

Ditto, I need times, dates and which channel it's on info (plus a small child I can borrow so I can pretend I'm watching it under sufference :o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    My issue with In The NIght Gargen is that its not about educating or entertaining its that the programmes main remit is sales of the rights to other countries & the ability to sell as much mercahndise, bedding , soft toys etc off the back of it. Dont need £139.50 for this so called piece of PSB , when in all cases its a comercialy driven programme.

I sometimes put it on for my daughter , but she just ignores it & just plays with her toys, in fact the only thing that fascinates her about TV is the remote control & the lift up panel on the front of the TV that hides the volume & channel buttons.

:)
  • Options
    snorksnork Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Less is more!!! We love it when the Wottingers appear...its a real cause for excitement :o:D

BTW Makka Pakka also seems to be a bit of a Klepto. Whenever Iggle Piggle's blanket goes "missing", it mysteriously turns up at Makka Pakka's cave. ;)

Back to the OP. The scale thing doesn't seem to bother my little girl, but it really bugs the hell out of me, isn't it trippy enough already?!?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Why does the scale thing bother people so much? I think it just reflects how kids minds work when playing and imagining.
    My little girl plays with her various dolls of different scales together. And they all 'get in' to her wooden train which is technically too small to seat any of them.
  • Options
    ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

The show is FULL of sexual innuendoes!

Anyone remember a kids show called "The Treacle People"? That one was full of innuendo, and it was hilarious!

I can remember one episode where they went to the treacle pub, and spoke to the barmaid that was the double of bet lynch, she said something and in the background you heard one of them shout "Slapper"..... Son had it on video, I was crying with laughter and had to keep rewinding it while my very bemused little boy just looked at me in bewilderment..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellie1997 wrote: »
    Anyone remember a kids show called "The Treacle People"? That one was full of innuendo, and it was hilarious!

I can remember one episode where they went to the treacle pub, and spoke to the barmaid that was the double of bet lynch, she said something and in the background you heard one of them shout "Slapper"..... Son had it on video, I was crying with laughter and had to keep rewinding it while my very bemused little boy just looked at me in bewilderment..

Not to mention Captain Pugwash :D
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    I know somebody who bought a 50" plasma got that HD thingy and watched ITNG said it was the weirdest thing he had ever seen lol.

As for The Treacle People they have their own site...

http://www.treaclepeople.com/

Dont even get me started on Balamory :D

Lainey
  • Options
    ellie1997ellie1997 Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    I know somebody who bought a 50" plasma got that HD thingy and watched ITNG said it was the weirdest thing he had ever seen lol.

Lainey

Oh lainey, you made my day!!!! :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    LaineyT wrote: »

Lainey

When that used to be on Channel 4 in the morning, it was my chosen watch before work - I loved them :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    My dad "loves" this show, he makes us watch it every morning before we all head off to work in our seperate directions. I think it's a toss up between the flatulant airship and the triplets with no legs that really make the show special.

Yesterdays was very memorable - Iggle Piggle trying to haul Upsy Daisy into the Ninky Nonk by the back of her skirt. We got a knicker flash!!

They played the waving game for a bit...that was fun.
This discussion has been closed.