So tell me what you dislike about Rap / Hip Hop

36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
Forum Member
✭✭
Now im a big fan of hiphop, been listening to it for 20 years and it seems the one genre of music that people who dont actually listen to it feel the need to discard it as rubbish.

So first off tell me if your a fan Yes or No

either way please tell us why you dislike it so much.

Do you like rap / hip hop music? 160 votes

yes i love it
32% 52 votes
no its rubbish
67% 108 votes

Comments

• potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    A fan of some but some of the lyrics that they use when they want another line to rhyme aren't actually words and just weird sounds and that stinks of lazy song-writing, cough Nicki Minaj.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a lot of the early rap and hiphop where the artists spoke about genuine social issues.

Don't like the pimp my ho bitches type of stuff.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is like one of those cards with This Is True on one side and This Statement On The Other Side Of This Card Is False on the other.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Cypress Hill but find everything else unbearable.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds the same to me
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It is complete and utter shite that will be quickly forgotten when it is no longer cool.

You certainly won't find any of the classic radio stations playing it 20 years from now.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,131
    Forum Member
    It used to be good but now :( it's a mess

eta there is some good stuff around but you have to dig deep. I love what The Alchemist does - he is a very talented producer.
  • 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    It is complete and utter shite that will be quickly forgotten when it is no longer cool.

You certainly won't find any of the classic radio stations playing it 20 years from now.

here we go!

Are you suggesting its a fad?
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    here we go!

Are you suggesting its a fad?

No, I'm suggesting that it's shit.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except it has been around for over 30 years.

Basically you just don't like it and that's fair enough. It isn't going away anytime soon though.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that how you measure the longevity of music?

I don't listen to much radio but I don't think I've ever heard Dark Side Of The Moon given an outing on the radio. Let alone It Takes A Nation Of Millions.
  • kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's what they said back in the 80's:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm suggesting that it's shit.

all subjective surely you agree.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I like some of it, but it's the attitude of the rapper that gets up my nose.
  • j4the1j4the1 Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a fan of conscious rap/hip hop.

Artist like Dead Prez, Talib Kwali, Afura, Common, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Black thought.

But you lot in here wouldn't know anything about real hip hop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I like some of it, but it's the attitude of the rapper that gets up my nose.

can you elborate on that please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4the1 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of conscious rap/hip hop.

Artist like Dead Prez, Talib Kwali, Afura, Common, Mos Def, Immortal Technique, Black thought.

But you lot in here wouldn't know anything about real hip hop.

i guess your the only fan of real hip hop on this site then :rolleyes:
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misogynistic horrible sounding garbage.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,131
    Forum Member
    i guess your the only fan of real hip hop on this site then :rolleyes:

Indeed, what a way to generalise! :D
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I loved it back in the day. Public Enemy, KRS-1, JVC Force, NWA, Afrika Bambaata, Cypress Hill, LL Cool J etc. The eighties and early nineties stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misogynistic horrible sounding garbage.

Its sad that people only know that side of the genre
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except it has been around for over 30 years.

Some have argued it's older than that. Granted, it wasn't recognised as a genre until the mid-1970s, but they could trace the origins to the 1920s through the histories of scat singing and similar techniques.

(I don't know much about this genre, but I met a couple of music historians, with an interest in the U.S. history of this genre, who talked about it a lot. :D The British history of a similar genre is interesting in its own right, but I digress.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    I loved it back in the day. Public Enemy, KRS-1, JVC Force, NWA, Afrika Bambaata, Cypress Hill, LL Cool J etc. The eighties and early nineties stuff.

We play public enemy to keep the kid quiet - he heard harder than you think so many times after he was born that it must have invaded his subconsious :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ft - the phrase that killed music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I'm not a massive fan of it, but I do quite like some of the stuff, particularly some of Eminem's more angry songs.

The thing that really bugs me, and it's the same with rock/metal (which I love and is my kind of music) is the complete over-reaction people have if you get a genre wrong.

I'll say something innocent like "Oh I quite like Dizze Rascall, he's a good rapper" and some butt-hurt fan will go "STFU N00nZ He's a F@ckin GRIME Arteest!!" or something stupid like that. I'm listening to him aren't I, just be pleased about that.